Next-Gen AMD Bobcat and Bulldozer CPU Deep Dive

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,911
Points 1,117,760
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Aug 25 2010 12:38 PM

Next-Gen AMD Bobcat and Bulldozer CPU Deep DiveYesterday, we chided AMD for its decision not to reveal more details about Bulldozer and Bobcat, but it turns out we didn't have all the facts. AMD was planning on disclosing more information later in the day at Hot Chips—but the company failed to disclose that tid-bit before we went live with our previous coverage. We're going to take a look at the new information about Bobcat and Bulldozer that's subsequently been revealed; if you want more general backround data you can get it here...

Next-Gen AMD Bobcat and Bulldozer CPU Deep Dive

• | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,071
Points 37,990
acarzt replied on Wed, Aug 25 2010 1:49 PM

I'm hoping this chip(bulldozer) can compete with Intel for the crown in performance.

AMD really needs something that can compete!

I'm suspecting Intels next chip could be a devastating blow to AMD tho.

Also there really needs to be more competition in the netbook market, so i'm really looking forward to seeing what bobcat can do!

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Wed, Aug 25 2010 3:32 PM

I call shenanigans on the Palmer quote.  That *** hole's only job is to clean out a company and sell it to the highest bidder.  He knows absolutely nothing about technology.  Get your facts straight before you go quoting some lewser who makes money by bankrupting and laying off hundreds of thousands of people.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,038
Points 11,350
Joel H replied on Wed, Aug 25 2010 7:13 PM

Draco,

So let me get this straight. Because you think Robert Palmer is a meanie, I'm misquoting him? Or are you simply claiming that because you think he's a talentless evil hack, he's also automatically wrong?

This is a quote I first heard during a visit to AMD some years back, where it was anecdotally attributed to Jerry Sanders. Further research on my part turned up the fact that while Sanders has said it, Robert Palmer is generally credited with having said it first. But I wouldn't expect you to take my word for it--how about an eight-year-old article on CNN? 

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2002/11/01/331620/index.htm

or maybe a smidge of information from the Motley Fool, though the version of the quote there is somewhat different?

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=28062739

In fact, this was a difficult quote to track down--in many places it's not attributed to anyone, or to "a high-ranking board member of a microprocessor company." In the few places where it is attributed, it's attributed to Palmer. Please note that I performed this research before I put the quote in the article, as opposed to finding a phrase I liked and slapping it on a random CEO from the mid 1990s.

I hereby dismiss your claim of Shenanigans with prejudice and sentence you to exhaustively review the spelling of the word "loser." This court would also like to remind you that a little judicious Googling can help prevent dreaded foot-in-mouth disease

This court is now adjourned.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 60

i hope this really works for AMD. intel needs some proper competition.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

Whats next Steam Roller???? lol... but seriously AMD has not had a big hitting chip since the Athlon and FX series... Intel since the C2D has had the upper had as far a pure performance goes. AMD has become the budget chip

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,038
Points 11,350
Joel H replied on Wed, Aug 25 2010 8:30 PM

Der Meister,

AMD already used SteamHammer--How about Death Mallet? ;)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,479
Points 53,935
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Aug 25 2010 11:24 PM

Now Joel, be nice to the members. LOL! Seriously, I love the passionate debates. :)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Wed, Aug 25 2010 11:47 PM

rofl "Death Mallet" (now AMD is proud to introduce to the world our new processor architecture the Death Mallet). I think they should call it the piping hot roll or the cupcake. The cupcake would be my favorite, and of course the triple chocolate chip cupcake would be the best one, the value on would be the strawberry cupcake, and general users would like the Vanilla cupcake.

No seriously I hope these blow some Intel market share to shreds in large chunks. That is how we got the core 2 duo the last time AMD blew some chunks outta Intel's a66. So it is good for the world. These processors all sound nice for the respective markets. The Phenom did to when they first announced it.

So I am excited, but I will wait until my favorite hardware nerds in the whole world Dave and Marco get some test silicone piping hot from the AMD oven!

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

I like AMD, I really do. But when I consider computer builds I just seem to always go Intel because it seems like the better choice and more stable with the hardware that I chose.

I REALLY want to use kickass AMD processors but the fact that they are just a little behind in overall performance my OCD always strays away from choosing them.

So, I hope that they can knock Intel off their block. The fiercer the competition the more likely we'll get something great out of it.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 60

one thing ilike about amd is how they keep a lot of processors backwards compatible, for example, i had an athlon 5200+ in my old rig, then i got a phenom II 965 and dropped it right in and got a huge performance boost. with intel, most upgrades from intel that would produce a noticable improvement require a board upgrade as well, cause they have 3 different sockets.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

This is a good foreshadowing of what is going to happen to AMD/ATI stock...It will be bulldozedHmm

Their box store marketing model doesnt work on CPU's. You cant just try and sell a bunch of cheap disposable Chinese products to the masses, without providing quality and good customer service!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,038
Points 11,350
Joel H replied on Fri, Aug 27 2010 5:36 PM

I was nice. You didn't think that was nice? I thought I was angelic.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,038
Points 11,350
Joel H replied on Fri, Aug 27 2010 5:39 PM

Marius,

I'm guessing you didn't build many systems from 2000-2001, or 2004-2006. Once Hammer hit, AMD led for several years until Intel unleashed Core. From 2006 - Present Day, AMD has actually maintained a decent price/performance ratio overall...but I don't really disagree with your reasons for choosing Intel.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS