Dish Network to Try Its Hand at Delivering Online Content

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,504
Points 1,196,925
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Aug 23 2010 1:20 PM
As the saying goes, you either run with the big dogs or stay on the porch. Dish Network has chosen the former, joining a growing number of content providers to jump on the online video bandwagon with a new video portal, DishOnline.com. This is Dish Network's take on "TV Everywhere," which will let users watch full episodes of movies online, get exclusive behind the scenes extras, excerpts, and previews, and program their DVR boxes from anywhere they're able to hop online.

"People are shifting where they watch video, and I want to shift with them," said Dave Shull, Dish's senior vice president for programming, said in an interview.

Currently in beta form, DishOnline.com is teasing viewers with some free video clips. Cable shows and most movies, however, will only be made available with a subscription or a one-time rental fee.

"Browse over 5,000 movies to rent straight to your Dish Network DVR," Dish Network advertises. "Many in high quality 1080p HD! New releases this week include: Angels and Demons, Funny People, Julia and Julia, Public Enemies, Star Trek, and more..."

The biggest challenge for Dish Network will be getting content providers to jump on board. The satellite operator is off to a good start, however, having sweet talked several cable networks into serving up content online, including Discovery Channel, HGTV, and MTV, to name just a few.
  • | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 60

Oh snap Dish Network is trying to up their game, which is very good. I have Comcast and the service is pretty good overall. Comcast recently launched a Online site where you can watch tv show for free but I don't use it that much. Also to me it seems that Dish is better than Direct TV, but I don't really know since I don't have either of them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

It would be nice if it were possible to switch to Dish! Hopefully they will figure out how to make smaller dishes for those who dont have a stand alone house!

IF they could answer that supply problem, then I am sure most people would switch! There are alot of people who are tired of being raped by the cable companies!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,109
Points 38,260
acarzt replied on Mon, Aug 23 2010 8:40 PM

My Parents had Dish and Direct TV, they prefer Direct TV.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Aug 24 2010 11:46 PM

I have DISH and recently 'de-tuned' them down to just the basic service with local channels. I had been subscribed to everything (all of it) and it was very expensive.

My Netflix account gives me a better movies choice and it's way, way, way cheaper to buy. I have a ROKU box in the bedroom and have DVD's being sent to the house constantly too.

Dish should have just lowered PRICES instead of trying to copy someone else's success story.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,109
Points 38,260
acarzt replied on Wed, Aug 25 2010 2:31 AM

Yea neil, I think a lot of people are going that route now...

I had Time Warner digital Cable with all the movie channels and everything plus their internet service.

I was paying $162 a month I believe.... now I just have the internet service $50 a month and netflix.

I still get a lot of cable channels to for free thanks to my apt complex.

I rarely use it... and I don't miss my cable lol

Netflix get's LOTs of use however. :-)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS