onboard NIC issues

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815
recoveringknowitall Posted: Wed, Aug 11 2010 11:19 AM

Hey guys it's been awhile since I've posted, but I need some help and have always gotten alot here so here goes. I have a new rig so the specs in my sig don't apply. New specs: i7 860, Gigabyte P55A UD3, 4gb Crucial 1333, EVGA GTX 470 SC, Corsair 650w, Win 7 64. Nothing is OC'ed, all drivers are up to date and system temps are safe. Starting yesterday my internet connection started flaking, but by mid afternoon seemed to have sorted itself out. This morning however I couldn't connect and windows troubleshooter told me there is no ethernet cable plugged in. I tried a different cable and still no dice. The problem can't be the cable or modem since they both work just fine with my laptop. Device manager shows that the NIC is working and when I unplug then replug the cable into it, the green and orange lights flash(should they flash or just stay lit?)on the NIC indicating that it's aware a cable has been connected, but the ethernet light on the modem doesn't light up. I think the problem is either a configuration setting(which I know nothing about and would need help on what to check)or the onboard NIC is just broken. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I dl'ed & ran the realtek diagnostic util and 1 of the 5 tests failed... MAC loopback. I can't seem to find info on what a MAC loopback test is on any searches. Anyone know what this is and what a fail indicates?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

bump

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

not a clue really have you tried to reinstall the drivers? 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Yeah I tried. My friend thinks a setting(s) got changed or something and that I should just reformat... says he's had similar issues and that fixed it. I just went out and bought a PCI NIC to test 1st so if that doesn't work either, I can guess that it does boil down to some settings and then I will just reformat. Luckily I bought a warranty for the mobo, so if push comes to shove I'll replace that.

Thx for the repply!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

If its you MAC addressing then go into network setting and tell it detect the MAC address. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Thu, Aug 12 2010 3:15 AM

Are you connected directly to a cable modem?

Are you using a router?

What are the specs of your network?

Do you have an other ethernet port on that MB?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Yes

No

Don't know

No

The PCI card is working, but honestly I want to replace the mobo since I have a warranty and don't like the idea of any component on it failing.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Sat, Aug 14 2010 2:34 PM

Power cycle the cable modem while everything is hooked up.

(if you don't know what the is... it just means to remove all power to the modem and let it sit for about 10-15 seconds and then power it back up)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

I had done that a few times with no luck. Thx for the repply though.  Since the PCI card is working fine and since I'm too lazy to pull the mobo out and replace it, I'm just gonna leave it alone for now.

Thx again for the input guys!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS