AMD Pokes Fun Of NVIDIA's Fermi GPU Heat Output In "The Misunderstanding" Video

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,793
Points 1,163,095
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Aug 9 2010 5:25 PM
NVIDIA has never been a company to shy away from a fight, even if that fight is very public. The company has been battling with Intel off and on again over the past couple of years, with comics and harsh words from NVIDIA's CEO leading the way. But for as confident as NVIDIA is about their company, their hardware and their software, we have always heard that there's nothing quite like getting a taste of one's own medicine.

AMD's processors haven't exactly been the coolest bunch; the Neo platform in particular can warm an ultraportable up in rapid fashion, but the company has nicely dodged that in a new short film aimed directly at NVIDIA's graphics business. AMD vs. NVIDIA has been another longstanding battle, and things just got taken up a notch today. AMD clearly poured significant funds and effort into the video below, simply titled "The Misunderstanding." We won't spoil the plot or ending for you, but let's just say there are a few choice one-liners littered throughout the production that will certainly make some folks over at NVIDIA raging mad. Or, should we say, "hot and bothered?" Click play on the video below to see AMD's take on NVIDIA's hotter-than-ever Fermi GPU family.

• | Post Points: 155
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 40,505

Lmfao, if only this would have happened in real life! Like the custom strapped on fans :)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Mon, Aug 9 2010 5:37 PM

I bought a Fermi GTX465 card a week or so back. Yes, my air-conditioner is having trouble keeping the house cool in the evenings... BUT, it doesn't crash under Linux like the ATI HD 5870 I replaced.

And, it's actually supported by the newer F@H GPU client, unlike the ATI card.

ATI needs to quit making funny videos and spend that money on developers.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Mon, Aug 9 2010 6:24 PM

BUT... if I were going to make a funny pro-ATI commercial, it would be like this:

Two gamers facing off in Counter-Strike... or maybe they're teammates both about to run for the chopper at the end of the the L4D2 Dark Carnival episode...

Then the Nvidia player starts sweating. Sweating more as they play... and more... (trys to wipe the sweat out of his eyes)... and more. Sweat start shooting up from his lap and all you can hear is gurgling as he tries to talk on the mic. Eventually the Nvidia owner looks like the fountain outside Caesar's Palace and dies a horrible demise in game.... while the ATI owner steps to cool victory.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,816
Points 45,645
rapid1 replied on Mon, Aug 9 2010 6:28 PM

rofl I don't think that would be legal 3vi1, unless it only played in movies before a NC17, R or worse rating movie.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Mon, Aug 9 2010 6:30 PM

(continued)... And as we see the ATI logo - we hear a frantic 911 call requesting a lifeguard be dispatched to the home of the Fermi owner.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Mon, Aug 9 2010 6:31 PM

I'd shoot it from creative angles so that you never see any gore/blood. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,816
Points 45,645
rapid1 replied on Mon, Aug 9 2010 6:33 PM

I have actually used a few Nvidia GPU's, but my first real card was an All in Wonder Pro. Believe it or not it is sitting on my desk I found it when we moved still in it's magnetic envelope, It is about 14-15years old I guess, and was in my P2 400 (first hand built system, I ever made)!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Mon, Aug 9 2010 6:36 PM

Also, I'd zoom in on the cards as they played and we hear all the shots and screams... The Nvidia card would have a sound like a V8 engine revving up... and the ATI card would sound like the warp core of a starship.... When the Fermi owner dies in game, there should be a sound like a blown cylinder from the Nvidia card.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Mon, Aug 9 2010 6:39 PM

I had one of the original TNT cards in the old days. I've probably owned about 7 nvidia cards and 4 ATI cards. I was always switching back and forth between the two on every upgrade until I became a Linux zealot and realized that only one of them had decent drivers.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Mon, Aug 9 2010 6:46 PM

So, *if* ATI gets their drivers up to par (which I'll know - because I do still have the 5870 in another system), I'd be more than willing to consider them on the next upgrade.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Wait a minute...Did Inspector say he likes the Strapped ons? :P

Yeah if ATI spent as much on thier drivers as they did on their marketing then they might have more people buying:P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,092
Points 38,110
acarzt replied on Mon, Aug 9 2010 9:11 PM

Marketing is what ATI needs.

They need to get their name out there to the average consumer!

They need to create some demand and marketing is the way to do it.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 40,505
Inspector replied on Tue, Aug 10 2010 12:27 AM

yes i do animator, i like it real good... :P

I would love to see 3vi1's idea come true xD

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

-3vi1

is that how your pulling so many points a day?  I know that has been annoying me about the latest GPU client with my ATI card.  Just wondering, are you getting all those with 1 machine?

I have only had one NVIDIA card, and I ended up taking it back for an ATI card.  Not because I prefer one or the other, just because It was my first build and I didn't really know what I wanted at all.  My next build since then, (which is current) I went ATI to complete AMD's LEO platform.

And that commercial is hillarious

"I bet were gonna find something green in there"

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,816
Points 45,645
rapid1 replied on Tue, Aug 10 2010 12:32 PM

Yes from what I hear there are driver issues. The weird part is I have never had any on Windows, in games, on Ubuntu or any other Linux versions I have run. Thats of course at least since the 3870 model. In Ubuntu there is an auto ati upgrade I would imagine should work in any version of Linux as the backbone to the OS would basically be the same, while the top side of it would be different.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 140
Points 1,710

I don't run Linux but I'm having problems running StarCraft 2 and Metro 2033 on my 4890 without crashing after a few minutes.  Crying

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Aug 11 2010 11:46 AM

The Fermi heat and power usage issues are enough for me. I won't get one until they get a handle on it, though I hear that the 460 1GB runs pretty cool.

My Linux box has an older 512MB GTX something or other in it and it just works, so I don't try to fix it. I don't tinker with the iMac either, but I do love to mess with the Win-7 boxes trying to improve them and I always will.

Now I have to say that my EVGA 2GB GTX285 card isn't a space heater and (maybe because of my nice computer case) runs nice and cool. It's performance is completely acceptable too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Wed, Aug 11 2010 9:08 PM

>> Just wondering, are you getting all those with 1 machine?

Yep.

Actually most of my points come just from running the SMP client under Linux. It can crank out a hell of a lot of workunits with 12 threads on the i980x. The GPU client isn't very stable under Linux (I quit running it because it kept throwing errors when used under Wine with a cuda wrapper), but works okay under Windows - but still doesn't generate near as many points as the SMP client (which is why I has so many points for so few workunits).

I'll probably cut back on running it soon anyway, as I was just mostly playing around to see how F@H compared to Boinc and S@H. I should maybe put it on one core of my arcade cabinet though... since it sits there doing nothing most of the time.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

--It can crank out a hell of a lot of workunits with 12 threads on the i980x...

now it all makes sense.  Are you doing the A3 cores, and if so, how long does it take?  Im using the smp on my 1090T and it takes about a full day to finish a WU.

And just heard about Boinc from a co-worker yesterday. 

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS