UAE, Saudi Arabia Look to Ban Some BlackBerry Services

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,490
Points 1,196,495
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Aug 1 2010 11:24 PM
Both the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Saudi Arabia are set to ban some functions of BlackBerry devices used in their countries. At issue is the inability of both countries to easily monitor data traveling via various features on the phone.

BlackBerry data, unlike that of most phones, is both encrypts its data and routes it through an overseas data center, in this case, RIM's network center in Canada. The UAE says that because of this, it will block emails, Internet access, and instant messaging to other Blackberry handsets.

Negotiations with the UAE fell apart when the suggestion of a proxy server in the UAE was rejected by RIM. The UAE ban is set to begin in October. Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia has ordered telecommunications firms to block BlackBerry instant messaging services later this month.

In both cases, the nations said it was necessary for security and anti-terrorism purposes. Additionally, it was said that by failing to resolve the issues, RIM was in non-compliance with local laws.

Recently, India has made similar statements about BlackBerry services, and wants the same sort of proxy server setup that UAE had requested.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,109
Points 38,260
acarzt replied on Mon, Aug 2 2010 12:25 AM

lol... RIM clearly does not trust these countries to manage a proxy server of their own lol

The fact that data is encrypted and then transmitted to Canada and then BACK to UAE would cause some SERIOUS latency issues. Man... there would be nothing instant about that type of messaging.

Can you imagine if voice calls were handled in the same way? Talk about a huge delay.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Well they have no problem when they buy boxes upon boxes of celphones and spread them throughout the region to support and evil means they see fit?!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,796
Points 40,655

Who cares about the delay, they just want their blackberry! :D but now with the main features taken away... What's the point

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630

So, basically, when President Obama makes a state visit to the United Arab Emirates, he isn't able to connect with his Blackberry?

That must be why he takes so long to reply to my emails.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,109
Points 38,260
acarzt replied on Mon, Aug 2 2010 4:12 PM

How long have you been waiting now clem? 2 years? lol

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630

15 minu... oh, wait, there it is.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS