Shortcuts

Apple Hosting iPhone 4-Related Press Event This Friday: Reception Issues To Be Addressed?

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,580
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jul 14 2010 8:37 PM
Some would say "Well, this had to happen." But did it, really? What companies really hold entire press conferences just to address the howling public? Toyota certainly did with their whole "brake" issue, and BP has done the same with the oil mess going on in the Gulf right now. But both of those situations were far, far more significant in the grand scheme of life than a phone that has reception issues.

Either way, Apple has always been a company that values their image, and no other gaffe in recent memory has shaken their reputation like this. Of course, iPhone 4 handsets continue to fly off of store shelves at a record pace, so it's not as if reports of signal issues are really hurting the company's sales figures, but their stock price has definitely slid the past few days and it's just about all that anyone in the tech industry is talking about.

We never found too many signal issues with our own iPhone 4 test unit, but the sheer amount of complaints surrounding the infamous "reception problem" has evidently led Apple to host a sudden press event at their campus in California. It's unclear now just how many outlets have been invited, and there's no published agenda. The only thing that is certain is that the event will surround the iPhone 4. That's it. There's no proof that Apple will address the issue, offer free bumpers to all buyers in an effort to calm the pundits demanding a free solution, or even initiate a recall (highly unlikely).

But it's not hard to read between the lines here. Apple has been dealing with a constant flow of criticism ever since the iPhone 4 launched, and all of that came to a head in recent days with Consumer Reports removing their Recommendation to buy the iPhone 4 after being able to replicate the signal loss issues in their testing lab. In reality, nearly every cellphone can lose signal if held a certain way, but Apple's products are magnified. The good looks better, and the bad looks worse. It's just how it goes when you're Apple.

The real question is this: what will be said? What could Apple possibly say at a press event addressing the iPhone 4? Will they recall the phone? Will they offer to sent out cases to everyone in order to combat the issue? Will they demonstrate in front of the world how to correctly hold the phone? It's anyone guess as of now, but we'll certainly be watching closely when the event kicks off at 10:00am PT on Friday, July 16 from Apple's Cupertino campus in Northern California.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 102
Points 1,315

My guess is a slightly apologetic statement that's carefully crafted to acknowledge the criticism of the iPhone4 antenna without giving up much ground to their belief that everything is as it should be. Something to the effect of "While the iPhone 4 has the best antenna of any iPhone to date and better than many other smartphones, we hear your criticisms and acknowledge that it could be better. So today, we've invited you here to announce what we're doing to improve it." I think that all current iPhone4's will be eligible for free bumpers, and I think the long term fix is that they're going to add a thin non-conductive coating to the manufacturing process, but I can't see a scenario where they are going to do anything to fix already manufactured phones.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35
G Davidson replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 12:55 AM

You say the other situations are more significant and that's true, but if you are depending on a phone and getting perhaps a two-year contract, it is pretty important to feel safe that it works as advertised. The mere existence of the $1 value 'bumpers' suggests they found out at some stage, perhaps even after production had started, that something was wrong.

In all the cases, the betrayal of trust and the notion that companies hid what they knew is the issue. We loved Apple but she cheated on us!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,109
Points 38,260
acarzt replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 5:09 AM

Steve Jobs will walk to the mic... pull an iphone 4 out of his pocket... Hold it up for all to see... lean in towards the mic and simply say... "YOU'RE HOLDING IT WRONG!!!"

*Jobs exits left*

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

I'm Hoping for Total Recall!!

I love that movie! They are probably just going to give everyone a rubber shell to solve the problem! At a slightly discounted price that is!

That seem to be the current business model everyone is following!

Like ATI! :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 660
Oblio211 replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 11:54 AM

GDavidson; that is a good point. They must have know at some point and just choose to move on (and to tell people You are holding it wrong). Actually, there is a Bloomberg article today that states a leading engineer told Jobs of the issue a while back. Story: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-07-15/apple-engineer-said-to-have-told-jobs-last-year-about-iphone-antenna-flaw.html

My coworker does not know what to do as his 14 days to return the iphone 4 expires today so he has to return it or live with it. People who want to test their iphone 4, download a free app like Speedtest.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 2:08 PM

Agree with acarzt! HAHA xD (If that does happen i would die laughing!)

Animatortom, its only a $1 discount :P

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Yeah Reminds me of Revo when I asked them for replacement lenses.  After spending $280 on sunglasses, only a year latter the lenses seperated and are now split around the edges. Their response wasnt Sorry? Or we have these others!

It was we no longer make those, but we will give you 20% off your next Revo purchase?

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,109
Points 38,260
acarzt replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 5:50 PM

That because all of those high end sunglass makers make them for like $2-5 a pop. There is nothing high end about them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

No doubt! Yet you would figure that a company with a reputation like Revo would be more compliant to give the customers that support them a new pair of those five dollar glasses to thank them for their support to keep their reputation. Instead of having unhappy customers that destroys their reputation and integrity?

That is the same type of arrogance that Apple and other companies operate on now. Just like the response from ATI! If they would have at least acknowledged customer concerns, they could have kept a customer. Now anytime I build a computer for myself or family and friends, I will not be looking towards ATI/AMD for components. Instead I will be actively avoiding them just on principle! So even if that was approximately ten computers every five years consistently. Then you figure that multiplied by the countless others, It really adds up.  If this is the way they conduct business, then we all need to know about it and learn not to buy stock or invest in them.

I am sure Apple will come out and say to everyone....Hey wait until the new Iphone 5!!! It will be even better :P (to bad you are now locked into the AT&T contract that you cant get it) Looks like a good time to sell Apple stock,...Before the ass action lawsuit :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,109
Points 38,260
acarzt replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 7:12 PM

Yea, it doesn't cost them hardly anything to make those glasses and they could probably give you 50 pairs and still make a profit... but they would rather have your money than make you happy.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

I buy one...Have problem?

U send me one! Happy!!

I tell ten friends......They, tell ten friends.......They, tell ten friends.......They, tell ten friends.......And So on...and so on....and so on.........Ancient Chinese secret!!

U tell me thanks for spending money, screw U!?

Then, I tell ten friends......They, tell ten friends.......They, tell ten friends.......They, tell ten friends.......And So on...and so on....and so on......People move to your competitor! U go out of bussiness :P

I have always bought Serengeti! I never should have tried Revo! Serengeti has always had the best lenses and I have never had a problem with dealing with that company. They at least let you buy new lenses no matter how out of date they are. Now with their new PHD lenses they are proving themselves even more!

So to everyone on this site, tell all your friends...Dont buy Revo! Do your eyes a favor...Buy Serengeti Drivers at half the price!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX