Anime Great Miyazaki Not Happy With Public iPad Fondling

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,928
Points 1,118,225
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jul 14 2010 10:03 AM
Hayao Miyazaki is often called the greatest among Japanese animators. He is so well known that fans of his needn't have his first name uttered; Miyazaki is enough. Still, comparing use of the iPad to masturbation? Hmmm ...

Speaking in an interview for the newsletter (Neppuu) of his production company, Studio Ghibli, Miyazaki said he's not enamored with the magical iPad. Of course, Miyazaki has said before he doesn't own a computer or fax, so he might be somewhat of a technophobe.

After all, Miyazaki also noted that he got annoyed when everyone on trains started reading manga en route, and still later when folks began using cell phones on trains to call and text message.

Here's what he said of the iPad:
"For me, there is no feeling of admiration or no excitement whatsoever. "It's disgusting. On trains, the number of those people doing that strange masturbation-like gesture is multiplying."
Interesting analogy. Mizayaki has created such classics as "My Neighbor Totoro," which Roger Ebert called "one of the most beloved of all family films" and "visually enchanting." Other such films include "Ponyo" and the Oscar-winning "Spirited Away."

With that list of classics, who cares if he doesn't like the iPad (we know, we know, Steve Jobs)? Watch a trailer for "Totoro," below.

• | Post Points: 125
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Jul 14 2010 1:17 PM

After reading what Miazaki has to say, I think he is disgusted with people doing sexual lime movements to their computers. That's the main reason he won't own a computer, they're too sexual for him :P.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Wed, Jul 14 2010 2:24 PM

i thought thats what computers were ment for. lol

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Wed, Jul 14 2010 5:09 PM

LOL fat, they are not meant for that but to pleasure you and that's one of the use for it... :P

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,071
Points 37,990
acarzt replied on Wed, Jul 14 2010 5:39 PM

That movie looks pretty gay.

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 458
Points 6,985
AjayD replied on Wed, Jul 14 2010 9:26 PM

@acarzt

It's a 22 year old children's Anime, what did you expect?

***** Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. *****

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 1,735

OK, I kind of understood HH posting Prince's ridiculous statements about the Internet. I mean, that even made newspapers. So, fine. But then, Kenny G's rebuttal. I like his Christmas album, but really? Kenny G? And now Miyazaki calling modern devices "sex toys." Who's next? Joan Rivers complaining about the reflective back of the iPhone? Or maybe Jack Thompson talking about how COD Zombies on the iPad makes players into psychopaths because the "realistic" accelerometer is a "murder simulator." That's all we need, some out-of-touch farts trying to be controversial.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,071
Points 37,990
acarzt replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 3:50 AM

Awesomeness.... Awesomeness is what I expect from a man that can be identified merely by his last name.

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 1:01 PM

Let's maintain perspective, people. Miyazaki Hayao is a fine artist in his field; Nausicaä and Spirited Away are must-sees. (I only wish the dubbing studios weren't so enamored of star power and would go with lesser-known but more versatile voice actors, such as... such as... well, modesty forbids me to say. Résumé to follow.)

But geez, the guy's 70. Even Buckminster Fuller started getting a little crotchety in his seventies. Me, I'm waiting on what Takahashi Rumiko has to say on the matter.

@acarzt (below): You know it. The drawing above, of the cast from Urusei Yatsura (translation: "Bad neighbors" or "People from Devil-Star"... Takahashi loves multilingual puns) has about ten years' worth of concentrated weirdness; but for all its frenetic plot, there are weirder characters. I will only mention Toriyama Akira's Dr. Slump, the adventures of a mad inventor; you may know Toriyama better as the Dragon Ball Z guy. Dr. Slump featured aliens with their butts on their heads, a super-strong and somewhat clueless little girl robot, and a sentient pile of poo. And this was ages before South Park's Mr. Hanky.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,071
Points 37,990
acarzt replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 7:07 PM

There are some rather Odd characters in Anime... I think Clem's picture proves that lol

-- Certifications --

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
ard replied on Fri, Jul 16 2010 7:45 AM

miyazaki may be concerned that the ipad is contributing to the destruction of earth, as this alien explains- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwY978MTvaE

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,071
Points 37,990
acarzt replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 5:19 PM

That video is just..... weird... and I stopped watching it just a few seconds in :-P

-- Certifications --

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
MPritchard replied on Mon, Sep 27 2010 10:22 PM

@acarzt

"That movie looks pretty gay"

Congratulations, you just walked off with the dumbest comment of a lifetime award. What you lazily (and unsurprisingly in the vernacular of the typical, uneducated, American redneck child) classed as looking "gay", is in fact one of the most beloved children's movies ever created. Hayao Miyazaki is the Academy Award winning godfather of Japanese animation...a man so revered in his field I cannot possibly put it into words. He is the Japanese Walt Disney....and more. But let's forget all that, he doesn't like the fad of the moment...the iPad....let's crucify him and call his movies "gay".

Well, sonny, the man has immortalised himself. People will know and love him LONG after his death...a time when this latest technology fad is a forgotten memory....and when you're long dead and buried, with no legacy left to remember you by. Miyazaki = WIN, You = FAIL!!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Tue, Sep 28 2010 12:08 AM

and people will remember you for?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,071
Points 37,990
acarzt replied on Tue, Sep 28 2010 1:57 AM

lol... I wasn't aware that having an opinion makes me a "Typical, Uneducated, American redneck child" lol

It's not my fault the movie looks gay. Don't get your panties in a bunch lol

And for the record,  I didn't call his movie gay because I have a thing for the iPad, I think the iPad is pretty gay too lol As a matter of fact, I don't like anything apple. lol

And i'm plenty educated pal Wink

-- Certifications --

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

Ahahaha, Using "win" and "fail" to describe someone isn't much better...lol

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 2,025
Optix replied on Tue, Sep 28 2010 12:55 PM

I like Miyazaki, I don't like the iPad.  It should be called the uPaid as in through the nose.  I don't expect a 70 year old man to be in touch with technology but hey, if someone was watching my movie on an iPad I'd feel pretty damned honored.

Yes, I can see where he's coming from.  Things have gone waaaay downhill when it comes to sex and technology but it sounds like he came of his meds for that newsletter.

***EDIT: Phail would have totally tied that entire statement together and given it some credability.  Maybe some l33t sp33k too.

Intel i3 530 @ 4.2Ghz/Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3/2x2GB G.Skill Eco & 2x2GB Kingston Blu @ 1520mhz, Coolit Vantage C240

Sapphire 6850 Toxic Edition, Mushkin Calisto Deluxe 60GB, Western Digital 640GB Caviar Black, Western Digital Scorpio Black 200GB (Vantec NexStar3 enclosure)

LG GH22LS50 DVD Writer, Ultra X4 850w PSU

Lian Li PC-P50WB

Slave to technology.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
MPritchard replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 10:34 PM

Using "win" and "fail" don't happen to offend a sizeable chunk of the world's population by associating their sexuality with a derogatory connotation. Next time you want to call something "gay"....try running it through your head first as "that movie looks n*gger"...."that movie looks wetback"....then you just might get an idea of how a gay bloke would feel and realise how offensive (and childish) you're being.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Oct 28 2010 8:38 PM

Doesn't gay mean Happy?

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS