Is the cat6 worth?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
mueller Posted: Tue, Jul 13 2010 2:31 AM

Hey guys have an electrician coming into my house tomorrow to do the wiring he is charging $49.95 for cat6. He said the cable is UL rated and up to 1Gbps transfer rates. Is the cat6 worth? Would I need cat6 with hight speeds?
Link

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

aboslutley not. Don't waste your money. First if properly installed cat 5e will support Gigabit ethernet. Second, your probably not going to use that much bandwidth unless your building your own network. Third the electrician will not certify/test the cable to industry standards and probably won't support it anyway. The most they will probably do is a continuity test. Any cable installed regardless of type of cabling should be tested for wire map, length, attenuation, return loss, insertion loss, cross talk and noise if you plan to use higher network speeds. Is there any reason you might not want to try and install the cabling yourself? You will probably take better care when installing it then they will.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Tue, Jul 13 2010 10:38 PM

I just checked the site. They charge the same for Cat5e and Cat6.

Get the cat 6. It'll allow for future proofing. And it's less suceptable to crosstalk.

Cat6 can go up to 10Gbps.

Also, Cat5e is not meant to go past 100Mbps.

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210
If it's the same price then why not. But Cat 6 does not support 10G. It is possible to send 10G over it but the stipulations to meet the requirements to do so are very strict. Acarzt, you are dead wrong about Cat 5e. I have been installing passive IT for 12 years now and know for a fact that TIA standards specifically state the Cat 5 supports up to 1Gbps. To garuntee 10G Cat 6a is recomended. Cat 6 is actually more suceptable to cross talk due to the higher freq testing parameters. This is why much more care is required in maintaining the twists and integrity of the cable when installing.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Wed, Jul 14 2010 7:12 PM

If mishandled then yes Cat6 will have more cross talk, but it was designed to be less suceptable to cross talk.

And my mistake on Cat5e, it's Cat5 that is not supposed to go past 100Mbps.

Eitherway Cat6 would be the better option if the price is the same.

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS