Blockbuster Inches Closer To Failing, Has To Delist From NYSE

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,858
Points 1,115,605
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jul 4 2010 10:16 AM
Things aren't looking great for Blockbuster. The company, which was arguably one of the most well-known movie rental outfits in the entire world, hasn't had the greatest of years ever since Netflix came into existence. For years, driving out to the nearby movie store for their nightly fix wasn't too much to ask. But as soon as by-mail became an option, suddenly the drive out felt like a huge inconvenience.

Netflix was grown consistently over the past few years, and at the same time, Blockbuster has seen fewer and fewer customers enter their stores. Blockbuster even tried the by-mail approach, but it was after Netflix grabbed the majority of those interested in such a service. Furthermore, Netflix offers something that Blockbuster doesn't: Watch Instantly. This allows Netflix subscribers with plans of $9/month or more to watch unlimited streaming films and TV shows from their PC or a variety of televisions or set-top boxes. That's a huge value-add, and Blockbuster has thus far been unable to create any acceptable substitute. Or at least one that people will pay attention to.

Over the July 4th weekend, the company has found itself fighting for its own freedom. Freedom from debt. The company has recently won approval to stay just one step ahead of bankruptcy, but it's only a one month reprieve on debt payments. Still, it was forced to delist from the New York Stock Exchange, which is a massive fall from grace. Once companies are forced to delist, it's a hard road back to recovery. In fact, most companies either fold or put themselves up for sale rather than attempt to pick up the pieces and start over.

Now, those holding around $440 million in debt have agreed to lay off until August 13, though some analysts suggest that even the month won't help Blockbuster to recover. Michael Pachter, analyst with Securities, had this to say: "Six weeks is not a long time in a tough economy, where nobody has much credit. There's nothing on the horizon that makes it look like Blockbuster is going to be more profitable."

It's hard to think that Blockbuster will ever be half the company it was, but could it shift itself enough to just stay alive? Who knows, but we're all hoping it doesn't follow the same path as the once-mighty Circuit City.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Jul 5 2010 3:28 AM

I think once Netflix hit the market and once grocery stores started to include their own video rental stores. I guess that made Blockbuster irrelevant. I could go to a Redbox in my grocery store and I can just rent the movies I want that they have and return it as easily as well.

There's also the fact that Blockbuster is facing competition from Best Buy and Wal-Mart and the likes. Even they carry their own fully stocked movie lineup and even the best lineup from Blockbuster could not compete with what those stores has. So I guess an inability to change and stupid decisions doomed this company to bankruptcy.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

So the only way to save the corporation would be to replace the "BL" With a "C"!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,430
Points 102,120
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Jul 5 2010 10:11 AM

So they fade away into history,......I'll get over it.

They were a PITA to deal with when I used to use them. My Debit Card wasn't good enough for them, they wanted my credit card number instead. They charged extra for DVD movies when they first came out too. I found a Mom & Pop movie rental place that was closer to home and a dollar cheaper to rent from and I never looked back.

I now use Netflix and a Roku too,......that's the way to go!

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780
Chainzsaw replied on Mon, Jul 5 2010 10:47 AM

Blockbuster...how sad. They weren't fast enough to change in this modern day. This is what happens to companies that do not keep with the times. Good bye, hamsters (anyone remember those?)!

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

Mobility Radeon 5870 1GBVRAM

8GB Ram

1 X OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,629
Points 21,115

So the only way to save the corporation would be to replace the "BL" With a "C"!

LOL!!

Probably would work. That and games. I think if they had switched to games they might have done okay. Its been a while since I have been there, and I know they have a game section, but there selection and prices always kind of sucked. If they had slowly started increasing there game section, while lowering there prices, they might have done better.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Wed, Jul 7 2010 10:50 PM

I just never went to blockbusters again since i was a  kid about 8 years old...  They really have some stupid prices and aren't worth the trouble to be returning it in a haste before you finish it... They could of improved in many areas.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 176
Points 1,595

those damn teens crashing in to blockbuster in dover Hampshire no lawsuit filed

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Thu, Jul 8 2010 1:10 PM

Their games are way to expensive now any ways compared to other places