Who needs ATMs? Deposit Straight From Your iPhone

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,935
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Jul 3 2010 9:27 AM
While Android users still wait for an official Chase bank application, iPhone users can now deposit checks from their iPhones. This new feature is sort of an extension of the new ATM systems at Chase banks, where you deposit a check and the ATM scans it.

The updated Chase Mobile app not only allows the typical features that allow you to check your balance, etc. etc., but by taking a picture of the front and back of a check, you can deposit it directly into your Chase account. Additionally, this new QuickDeposit feature is free, although the bad part is you still can't get cash back from your iPhone.

An additional feature is Person-to-Person QuickPay. Similar to PayPal, it allows you to pay anyone directly from your Chase account, and you only need to know their e-mail address. The other person is not required to have a Chase account.

In particular, the QuickDeposit feature is a winner. Now if we can just get the iPhone to print money, and if Chase would extend this app to Android ...

• | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 355
until240 replied on Sun, Jul 4 2010 11:52 AM

"It f*cking prints money!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

Hum, how long before they patch it so it tells you have more money in the bank that you actually do to make you feel better? In the spirit of recent Apple "discoveries."

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

I see fraud written all over this. How does the iphone pick up watermarks? I wonder if this works on all checks or just payroll, and what happens to the check after it is photographed.

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 355
until240 replied on Sun, Jul 4 2010 11:53 PM

Don't think it's fraud. USAA, the largest military bank, lets customers scan in their checks. Similar concept.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630

This is nothing new; banks have accepted scanned (generally on a flatbed) checks for years now, if not decades. But of course when the iPhone is mentioned, everyone has an immediate opinion.

Banks are as conservative as they can be and still provide services like this, so I have no doubts that there is a lot of verification that goes on. But a check (a physically presented one) can clear in 12 hours from a decent commercial bank. (It's one of the reasons I switched from a credit union to TD, then Commerce.) Unless they employ some very fast runners, that has to be done electronically-- this service just cuts out the middleman.

Really it's not much different from an online credit card transaction. Yes, there's fraud that goes on there; I scanned my statement carefully after building my system, because I was ordering from websites I never knew existed before. But that's something all of us should be doing anyway.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Jul 5 2010 10:56 PM

until240:
USAA, the largest military bank

USAA provides banking as well as insurance services for military families and their dependents, but they're a private corporation.

I use them for my car and house insurance policies. They're a good company to trade with.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,861
Points 24,255

you know @ some point Apple has to get a lot more serious about mobile security especially when they are one of the top smart phone suppliers.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator

digitaldd:

you know @ some point Apple has to get a lot more serious about mobile security especially when they are one of the top smart phone suppliers.

Being "cool" isn't enough?

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS