Livestrong Bands Provide Cheap Fix For iPhone 4

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,748
Points 1,210,315
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jul 2 2010 5:33 PM

By now, you've probably heard about the iPhone 4's reception issues where users have reported reception problems and dropped calls if they hold the phone in a certain manner. Apple has suggested that users hold the phone differently or buy a case to help fix some of these problems. Apple offers its own Bumper case that surrounds the outer rim of the phone. It's available in white, black, blue, green, orange and pink.

Instead of spending $29 for a rubber case from Apple, some Apple fan sites have found a cheaper fix: Livestrong Bands. These plastic wristbands are available for about $1 each. To use the wristband as a guard for your iPhone 4, you'll need to use a pair of scissors and cut holes for the phone's dock connector, headphone jack, and silent-mode toggle switch.

Although many Apple enthusiasts are accustomed to paying premium prices for Apple gadgets, it's hard not to feel like you're getting ripped off by having to buy a $29 case just so the phone will function properly.

Of course, Apple isn't going to back the Livestrong band solution, but Livestrong.org certainly isn't complaining about the extra business. “This glitch is our gain by getting our message of social change to more people,” foundation President Doug Ulman said in a statement. Lance Armstrong sent a message to his Twitter.com followers simply saying, "Wow. Cool," with regards to the new use for the bands.

• | Post Points: 140
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665

Nice, lol. Does it have to be Livestrong bands? How would other bands fit around it?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 1,735

If you were real cheap, you could use rubber bands. Or tape. :P

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 153
Points 1,705

Hey whatever works, although I do not know how well this fly over with Apple fans but neat idea none the less.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

If it makes the phone work than it will fly.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Down South We use Duck Tape:D

Since you have to cut the hole just right, I am sure people will go through around 30 of them before they get one that doesnt rip when stretched over it. In all...30 bucks either way.

Or better yet if you have that old can of plastic dip in the garage it would be more fun and protective!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HE9VV8/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0027JGVMS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1WNAN2T3AW953XP9913A

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Jul 4 2010 10:07 AM

I can see the LiveStrong Folks modifying their bands for use with the Apple mistake/iPhone devices right at the factory and charging an extra buck for pre-punching the holes in them.

It would be excellent advertisement for the bands and an elegant solution to Apple's lack of foresight/testing in an obviously flawed design.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 153
Points 1,705
lonewolf replied on Sun, Jul 4 2010 11:56 AM

@ realneil I thought about this one and I am not sure this was not deliberately done by the cunning folks @ Apple. I mean there is reception issues with the phone "Cause the way you are holding it" are you serious!?!?

But how convenient we have what we call this little "Bumper" that will solve all of your problems for $30. Everyone was saying basically just add $30 on to the phone until these make shift live strong bands came into play.

Now I am not accusing Apple,,, I'm just saying....................... definitely food for thought. Idea

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

I think it looks good. Im all about cheap fixes, but I can see a lot of users going for the more expensive cases anyway.

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator

The whole point is that the iPhone has a design flaw that they didn't catch in testing, or they just didn't care about if they did catch it. They're selling the crap out of them and they don't work properly without a $30.00 additional buy or an array of makeshift fixes that the public is devising.

I can't believe the arrogance of Apple's not giving the case away for free. You get to spend 2 or 3 hundred bucks for a non-performing device (depending on how you happen to be holding the damn thing) and they 'jack' you for an extra 30 bucks to fix it's flaw!

And get this,.......the Kool-Aid drinkers are OK with it,...........

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 153
Points 1,705
lonewolf replied on Mon, Jul 5 2010 12:03 AM

@ realneil I am with you brother, your preaching to the choir.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS