NZXT's Latest Fan Controller is Super Sexy

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,696
Points 1,156,945
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jun 30 2010 1:58 PM
Fan controllers, while functional, don't exactly come to mind as the first item to spruce up a rather drab looking PC, but maybe they would be if they all looked like NZXT's Sentry line. Released today is NZXT's Sentry LXE, the fourth external fan controller in NZXT's Sentry family and arguably the sexiest of the bunch.

Like the Sentry LX, the revised LXE sports a large touchscreen interface. From here you're able to control up to five fans, adjusting the RPM speeds on each as you see fit. You can change these on a whim, or configure the fans to spin a certain speeds based on temperatures.

At $60, it's a little pricey for a fan controller, but if there's a better looking one out there, do share in the comments section below.

El Monte, CA – June 30, 2010 – NZXT, a company built on realizing the dreams of gamers worldwide, is proud to announce the Sentry LXE, a high performance external fan controller with an intuitive touch screen.  Its unique patent-pending PCI card interface desktop design allows effortless control without having to reach underneath the desk to configure the settings.  Some of the additional advanced features include…

• Intuitive Touch Screen LCD – Advanced, touch screen LCD displays temperatures in C/F, RPMs, along with the date, time, and day of the week.  Users have the ability to switch the display off for complete darkness for more immersive gaming sessions
  • Complete Control – 5 Temperature probes keep tabs on thermals throughout the case while the 5 Fan controllers adjust the fans’ RPM speed. Allows users to automatically adjust the fan speeds to correspond to a specific temperature, manually customize for extreme overclocking capabilities, or set to absolute silence
  • Temperature Alarm – Instant notification if temperatures rise above a designated point
  • Sleek Design – Brushed aluminum frame provides sleek aesthetics for any desktop environment.  Simply set the fan controller atop your PC or desktop and connect through PCI card interface

“Sentry LXE is a unique blend of high performance, complete monitoring and control, intuitive operation, and sleek design” said Johnny Hou, Founder and Chief Designer at NZXT.  “The customization capabilities are perfect for the enthusiast who wants to tweak every aspect of airflow and keep tabs on system thermals.  Having already launched several highly-acclaimed fan controllers, we truly feel that Sentry LXE offers unparalleled value and is a must-have addition to any performance PC.”

Sentry LXE will be available soon for the MSRP of $59.99.  For more information visi http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/fan_control/sentry_lxe.

• | Post Points: 155
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,814
Points 45,635
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jun 30 2010 3:42 PM

I like this one, and may very well find use for it in My Thermaltake Element S case. I am planning on doing a good bit of work to it. This would be a nice front piece when I take of the door. I am most likely going to put in a large window for the left wall of the case as well as redoing the entire exterior visually, and some cooling work as well. That is not to say this case does not cool well, as it is in fact the coolest case I have ever run, even over my Aluminum full tower believe it or not! This as I said would look very nice as well as giving me greater control of the cooling directly.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Have to agree with Paul, this thing is the sex. Just one question though, it looks like it can be used externally?

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

^indeed I went to the site to check it out myself... they use a 8pin connector to run the info to the display. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630

Yes, it does seem nice; yes, an external widget is just right for a fan controller, at least for those of us who keep their computers underneath the desk (and therefore have to bend over to adjust fan speeds).

I currently have an NZXT Sentry 2, which is a touch-panel as well-- limited in what you can touch, but same idea.

Unfortunately it doesn't, um, work. I know I'm a perfectionist, but that's one of the features I expect in a fan controller. The fans have been stuck on 40% since day one, and no panel-touching has gotten them to change.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jul 1 2010 7:49 AM

It looks very nice but I'm kinda perfer the Internal ones rather then external ones. It just feels like having something on the desk while the internal ones feel like they're part of the computer.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

I like how this sits on your desk. Definitely beats sticking it in your computer. Something that strikes me as interesting is how it appears like a gadget in 90's sci-fi movie. I think all manufacturer's should keep it up with this sci-fi appearance.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,560
Points 103,055
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Jul 1 2010 10:26 AM

Pretty Bling. Is it really necessary though? My mainboards all control the fan speeds auto-magically.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

Its nice Im just not sure I like the xternal idea maybe do a case mod and mount it some where on the outside that would look unigue but its a good looking moniter.I thought about getting the Sentry 2 becuase I,ve got idea,s for using one of my bays instead of using one that takes up 2 bays.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

I agree with Neil. This looks really cool and would be a neat dust collector. but an internal one controlled onscreen makes more sense.

In turn you could save the sixty and put that towards one of those new Water coolers.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

If you want it to look cool an Sci-Fi then get yourself a little LCD screen and customize it for case control like this guy did!

http://scifiwire.com/2009/09/stargate-motorized-pyrami.php

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 340
Points 4,470
slugbug replied on Sat, Jul 3 2010 5:12 PM

Much nicer looking than their original Sentry model.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 180
Points 1,660

it is nice and a sleek design

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 160
Points 2,380
werty316 replied on Thu, Jul 8 2010 11:29 PM

10W per channel is kind of on the low side.

There is no god, there is only Chuck Norris.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS