HH and CyberPower Independence Day Sweepstakes!

rated by 0 users
This post has 312 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sun, Jul 18 2010 9:45 PM

mrlarry:

I really need a new rig , now's the time . Vista just doesn't cut it anymore

drooooooooooollllll this 1's hot

If you have Vista, why not upgrade it to Windows 7? It's a faster version of that thing you call Vista.

If you desperately need a new operating system because of Vista then you're just pathetic.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 90
mrlarry replied on Sun, Jul 18 2010 9:48 PM

I need a whole new system , running out of ram , limited by a small hard drive, the # of usb ports , just too slow and limited

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sun, Jul 18 2010 9:59 PM

mrlarry:

I need a whole new system , running out of ram , limited by a small hard drive, the # of usb ports , just too slow and limited

Upgrade your RAM (unless you hit the RAM limit), get a new hard drive and buy yourself a USB hub. BTW, what are the specs of your system that make it "slow and limited"?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Sun, Jul 18 2010 11:30 PM

My computer is really running slow, its been so long since i upgraded my system. I  also just got a virus today :(...Though i would love to upgrade im limited money wise :(.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 90
mrlarry replied on Sun, Jul 18 2010 11:33 PM

limited by the board to 2 gb

ram , have 80 gb hdd . I sometimes run 3 programs at once and have 10 browser windows open at once . I might as well start with a good board and processor and more ram with the capability to expand

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sun, Jul 18 2010 11:59 PM

mrlarry:

limited by the board to 2 gb

ram , have 80 gb hdd . I sometimes run 3 programs at once and have 10 browser windows open at once . I might as well start with a good board and processor and more ram with the capability to expand

I have 2GB's of RAM, the same as you. Though my computer can go up to 4GB's of RAM, I feel like I can manage with 2GBs of RAM. Perhaps the Hard Drive is the problem, if you have a poor hard drive it can severely affect the performance of your system due to factors such as the cache speed and the RPM speed. If you do get a new hard drive, make sure it has at least enough space to do what you need to do, runs at 7200RPM and has at least 16MB of cache.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Mon, Jul 19 2010 12:32 AM

2GB of RAM is plenty for alot of things... My laptop has 512MB and it does just fine.

I think you just need to clean up some of the junk on your computer. Get rid of anything that isn't needs. Get rid of startup items you don't use, etc.

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 90
mrlarry replied on Mon, Jul 19 2010 1:16 AM

thanks guys but I still would like that sweeps machine

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,430
Points 102,120
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Jul 19 2010 10:55 AM

mrlarry:
thanks guys but I still would like that sweeps machine

And that's a good thing. Wink

Most everyone here wants it, as they do all of the cool computers that are given away here. If you stick around and contribute to our forums and discussions then you'll have a good chance of winning something one day. Maybe soon, and maybe later on. All that they ask for here is participation and a little involvement in their activities.

HINT: They like it when we get along and don't flame each other.

You'll find that they honestly and professionally report on industry developments and review new technical devices and computer hardware. It's a good source of information.

A lot of us buy the occasional lottery ticket hoping to get lucky and win prize. Your chances of actually winning here are much better than any lottery, anywhere in the world. Welcome to the site Mr. Larry, it's a good place to hang out.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Very good points Neil! :)

Or you could be like Jturnbull, Join then four days later walk away with three new monitors and a 5970 then disappear back into serbia?

This is a great forum. The reviews always give you the most up to date and informed information on all the things we care about! So get involved and have fun, and dont be a Jturn:P

"Hi, I'm Charlie Brown" :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Mon, Jul 19 2010 6:33 PM

Thats not true realneil... i buy my own home mad lottery and win every time O.o :P

But ya, Stick around be friendly and post useful stuff and you will in no time. HH is always giving away nice complete rigs or very interesting prizes!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Tue, Jul 20 2010 1:25 AM

animatortom:

Very good points Neil! :)

Or you could be like Jturnbull, Join then four days later walk away with three new monitors and a 5970 then disappear back into serbia?

This is a great forum. The reviews always give you the most up to date and informed information on all the things we care about! So get involved and have fun, and dont be a Jturn:P

"Hi, I'm Charlie Brown" :P

You're never going to beat the ASUS contest for winning a computer and never being heard from again:

SFanatics last post Dec. 7 2009 total posts 15

DUOplus+ last post Dec. 21 2009 total posts 8

Ragafoo last post Feb. 10 2010 total posts 11

Ottoyu34 last post June 29 2010 total posts 69 (gets a pass)

Nelsoncp21 moderator, pretty much has to stay hahahaha

KLsi last post Dec. 24 2009 total posts 50

Zads last post Feb 10 2010 total posts 24

I'm not sure post count competitions are adding a lot of quality to these boards, but compared to straight judging at least it's generating some content and page views.

...pending.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
nefarious replied on Tue, Jul 20 2010 2:04 AM

i hope i win this computer because i have had a crappy computer for about 7 years now and am too poor to afford one. also i have entered many contests to win prizes like these but never won. i hope this will be the time i will win :D

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Tue, Jul 20 2010 2:40 AM

Heh, i'm really hoping to win this system... i've been here for quite some time and have yet to win a System.

This will be for the GF so we can game together :-)

Plus she will use it for school :-P

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,430
Points 102,120
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jul 20 2010 12:13 PM

I won and I'm still here.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780
Chainzsaw replied on Tue, Jul 20 2010 2:41 PM

Well I would sign up for the fan page for the twitter thing and facebook but I religiously try NOT to use those specific websites. They seem to cause me only trouble...lol.

Marco, or any of the other HH guys, do you know if that GTS 250 has HDMI out or in?

I know some versions of that video card have dual DVI ports, that come with a DVI to HDMI converter or DVI to D-SUB converter.

Would be great to win this computer, the draw is pretty close to my b-day!

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

Mobility Radeon 5870 1GBVRAM

8GB Ram

1 X OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Tue, Jul 20 2010 4:05 PM

...pending.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,430
Points 102,120
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jul 20 2010 7:28 PM

It got here broken, so I sent it back and ordered another drive holder for my Centurion cases instead.

(Mark Twain)

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
ihopeiwin replied on Tue, Jul 20 2010 8:42 PM

HOORAY ANOTHER GIVEAWAY!!!!!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
ihopeiwin replied on Tue, Jul 20 2010 8:43 PM

the only problem i see is the gts 250

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
ihopeiwin replied on Tue, Jul 20 2010 8:46 PM

the rest of the specs look awesome intel core i7 for the win!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,430
Points 102,120
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jul 20 2010 9:16 PM

ihopeiwin:
the only problem i see is the gts 250

considering the system as a whole,....or not,....a free GTS-250 is a problem?

(Mark Twain)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Tue, Jul 20 2010 9:19 PM

I sure hope that name helps you win ihopiwin :P. Theres never anything wrong when it comes to free!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Tue, Jul 20 2010 9:30 PM

lol I thought the GTS 250 seemed out of place too.... But you can't argue with free :-D

-- Certifications --

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Jul 20 2010 9:58 PM

acarzt:

lol I thought the GTS 250 seemed out of place too.... But you can't argue with free :-D

And free is free, but I got a Radeon HD 4890 so I'm probably going to replace that with my HD 4890 as my primary graphics and possibly use the GTS 250 as a PhysX card using modded drivers. So it's like a 1-2 punch for the person who wins the system who also has a powerful graphics card, and the main driving force for anybody determined to win this.

Now all I need to do is figure out acarzt's secret to posting quickly. I swear I haven't noticed any tech support questions going unanswered and you're like on every news post I can see.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,430
Points 102,120
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jul 20 2010 10:39 PM

acarzt:
But you can't argue with free

My point exactly,..........

(Mark Twain)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Wed, Jul 21 2010 12:41 AM

lol! I type very fast and i'm prowling these forums constantly lol

-- Certifications --

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,420

Wont be too much longer till someone here gets lucky and gets this bad boy!1 Good Luck

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jul 21 2010 11:49 AM

Hey sackyhack here is my outlook in general as well as my usage for an SSD. It seems definitely on the lines of what you are asking specifically, but takes a slightly wider stance than you question.

I don't know I agree and disagree here. The computer I won on an awesome contest that's held regularly on my face tech website and forum hothardware had a 60 GB SSD. I use it as my OS drive with two WD blacks (700GB). More for people who organize there computer with partition management etc this is absolutely fine. While the SSD is a 64 Gb Kingston edition and is not this specific SSD or manufacturer, nor is it quite as current as there current offerings in ssd's. I am sure they are better than the one I have. With all that information available to me I would say it's a great option. Of course I would like to have 3 or more larger ones in a raid 5 or 0+1, and the costs currently make that at the least an expensive thing to do. I would say my experience looking at performance in several different ways it has definitely enhanced what I expect from a computer. So I think all this by any manufacturer is a very wise thing to do (multiple size and price points). Where many would consider several manufacturers (Corsair included in the mix now) to be the ones to beat in this specific platform with Intel probably as the pinnacle currently. I personally consider OCZ to be the standard this field of parts is measured by. They have done more than any other singular company in these specific devices, and therefore given several advantages to us as consumers as well as hardware junkies. With there rapid fire development, releases, and addition to this specific market place everyone else including Intel and more recently Corsair have had to step up there game entirely. That is why we are seeing this. However; much like you say the prices and regularity will both decrease and increase in line. So with my 60Gb Os drive I think it specifically is a great option. While relatively low in price it gives enough space to work in for an OS if you manage you storage like I do certain things such as my documents/photo's/backup are not on this drive because the performance is not needed there, more so the space. Important things such as the OS, specific games, etc are on the SSD where it definitely affects performance on a wide scale. The big question here is, is it worth it. With these specifics and at the current price level I would say yes, but to me at least I would say a 60 or at largest a 80Gb works the best currently. This is because the performance and size of mechanical HD's are very efficient for there main reason for existence now storage space. Mind you though this is a much broader outlook and opinion than this specific (Corsair) review or outlook gives call for, and generally an outlook more on SSD's in general!

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,430
Points 102,120
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Jul 21 2010 11:50 AM

amdcrankitup:
Wont be too much longer till someone here gets lucky and gets this bad boy!1 Good Luck

Good luck to all of you out there. There's nothing like winning here, HotHardware shows the love like no other site out there.

(Mark Twain)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jul 21 2010 11:57 AM

Hey animatortem I see your point on the ATI/Ruby thing. However I am not suggesting you give them money. I am suggesting you getting money from them. If you are not inclusive to ATI/AMD specifically, then you can work for Nvidia to. Either way either would be only a source of pay, not generally a supported entity. While I see what your saying in general about ATI. In general any company especially but not specifically in computer hardware, and/or any type of hardware does exactly what ATI is doing now, Nvidia and Intel have done in the past, and every other company has done period. That is say there product is the best period no matter what, and try to get you and everyone to buy them. That my friend is the definition of business. On the other end support and everything is part of the large picture, but the basis of any business is basically at the root exactly what you accuse them of. Either way as I stated earlier you don't have to support them or buy there products. You make a better RUBY for them as a professional digital artist, and sell them your product without fully supporting them, or there business practices as a professional artist. You give them a product they pay you, and you buy or use whatever you personally want to with the money.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Wed, Jul 21 2010 6:30 PM

amdcrankitup:

The anticipation is killing me :-D

-- Certifications --

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Jul 21 2010 6:47 PM

I know who's going to win.

And that winner is acarzt.

Congratulations ahead of time!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Wed, Jul 21 2010 7:13 PM

Congratz acarzt! lol

But, we  never know till Marco or Dave pops in with a post! :P

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
"rapid1 wrote the following post at Wed, Jul 21 2010 6:57 AM:

Hey animatortem I see your point on the ATI/Ruby thing. However I am not suggesting you give them money. I am suggesting you getting money from them. If you are not inclusive to ATI/AMD specifically, then you can work for Nvidia to. Either way either would be only a source of pay, not generally a supported entity. While I see what your saying in general about ATI. In general any company especially but not specifically in computer hardware, and/or any type of hardware does exactly what ATI is doing now, Nvidia and Intel have done in the past, and every other company has done period. That is say there product is the best period no matter what, and try to get you and everyone to buy them. That my friend is the definition of business. On the other end support and everything is part of the large picture, but the basis of any business is basically at the root exactly what you accuse them of. Either way as I stated earlier you don't have to support them or buy there products. You make a better RUBY for them as a professional digital artist, and sell them your product without fully supporting them, or there business practices as a professional artist. You give them a product they pay you, and you buy or use whatever you personally want to with the money."

Well Rapid,..That is the basis of business for the freelance artist.

I have been doing exactly that since the early nineties, even with some big corporations. The problem here is a mater of principle. The response I received from ATI did not address my general concerns about their marketing practices. They basically said FU...Buy more!!!

So, I will not contribute to those marketing practices if they are unwilling to even understand and work with the people that have supported them for so many years. I know all companies do these type of things, and I also believe that is what has driven people away from companies like Intel and NVidia. It is also reversing those practises, that will drive people back to them. With these to-big-to-fail companies, they have just turned into companies that are just to big to care!

The main problem is that the bad marketing made me decide on the 8800 without upgrading the rest of the computer. Which, in turn has not improved my productivity! I have seen a slight increase in the rendering, yet other problems have replaced the time spent on the ones fixed. With a budget going to one card, instead of going to upgrade the entire system, all I feel I have done is blow the budget and many months for integration. Only to have a system that has shown little improvement, as far as productivity. If I would have gone with a new CPU and DDR3 RAM with the 7800, I would have been able to cut months into weeks. Instead, I am still stuck with a 2.6Duo-core, and 4GB DDR2, which causes lock ups when trying to do the final renders!  For most artist like most people, time is money!

I would just be wasting time if I created materials for their marketing campaign, knowing that their own products don't contribute to increased productivity!
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,430
Points 102,120
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Jul 21 2010 8:33 PM

Inspector:
But, we  never know till Marco or Dave pops in with a post!

I guess that's just a formality at this point. Oh well, it was another great contest while it lasted, wasn't it?

(Mark Twain)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Wed, Jul 21 2010 8:36 PM

lol! Thanks guys, I hope I win.... but the person with the highest post count isn't always the winner!

And like they says... it's not over til the fat lady sings...

-- Certifications --

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Wed, Jul 21 2010 9:13 PM

I guess its over :( lol

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Jul 21 2010 10:45 PM

acarzt:

lol! Thanks guys, I hope I win.... but the person with the highest post count isn't always the winner!

And like they says... it's not over til the fat lady sings...

Well I know why you will win.

1. You're like skynet up in this ***, I browse the forums on a non-obsessive basis and I see tech support questions being answered before I can read them.

2. Even though the person with the highest post count is not the winner, you have aimed to contribute all you got into mostly every news topic there is.

3. If somebody else wins, it's a surprise to me. July has been a slow news month for us, barely anything to contribute or comment on.

So I'm mostly sure that acarzt will be the winner.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Thu, Jul 22 2010 1:46 AM

LMAO! Nice, i'm comparable to Skynet....

This is what happens what i'm  not burdened down with studying lol

Don't worry i'll dissappear again once I start working on my degree lol

-- Certifications --

Page 4 of 8 (313 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS