Sprint Says HTC EVO 4G Will Get Android 2.2 Soon

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,852
Points 1,171,225
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jun 28 2010 3:16 PM

Last week, Verizon Wireless and Motorola introduced the new DROID X Smartphone as part of the carrier’s effort to rival Sprint’s EVO 4G. Not content to let Verizon Wireless and Motorola get all of the hype, Sprint released a statement about the upcoming Android 2.2 upgrade for its HTC EVO 4G smartphone.

In a post on the Sprint News Blog, a Sprint employee wrote, “As work on finalizing the software is under way, Sprint expects to launch Android 2.2 in the near future…. HTC EVO 4G will receive the 2.2 update.”

With the newest version of Android, customers will get an updated user interface, improved EAS support, better browser performance, support for Flash 10x, voice dialing over Bluetooth capabilities, and the ability to store applications on external memory. Thanks in part to its support for Adobe Flash 10.1 support, many users are eagerly awaiting this update.

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 675

I'm look forward to see if Froyo can convince me to get a evo instead of a iphone. Both great phones, but only one of them can retain enough battery to last a whole day....and than theirs at&t. Buying a phone requires sacrifice nowadays.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Mon, Jun 28 2010 5:21 PM

Yeah I was going to flip to Sprint (Currently a Verizon user) for the EVO. That is until I spoke with a premium rep who said FROYO would not be supported due to it native applications (tethering etc.) that Sprint likes to charge for. That was 4 days prior to it's release as well as the third rep I had heard this from. Since she was a Premium rep (as well as the 3rd) I took it as fact. I also can upgrade to a DroidX now on Verizon if I want (been available since the day before EVO release). There are however several phones coming out as well. My contract with Verizon fully end in August (with me owing them nothing). I also heard they are attempting to roll out the LTE 4G solution prior to the end of the year. SO I am just watching the news to see where it goes, and whats available on that full end contract date.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

That makes no sense rapid1. They were working on 2.2 for the EVO before the EVO or 2.2 came out. In fact, there were several pictures in the wild of pre-release EVOs running 2.2. Heck, even the developers kit for the EVO was setup to program for 2.2.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Tue, Jun 29 2010 11:12 PM

There were actually videos of the pre-release EVO running Froyo, as well as a guide for setting it up for that matter. That was not the main focus of my response though.

The main focus is the EVO may be a good unit, and I agree on that. I also know that the mobile market is moving way to fast for that to last longer than 6 months. Most likely it won't even be 3 months, but that is to be seen unless you wanna go with At&t. Which I obviously do not want to do.

What I am saying is; that my contract will be totally up in 2 months from now at which point I don't owe anything other than whatever phone I decide to purchase. Prior to the time of release the representatives at Sprint told me Froyo would not be available for some time which influenced my decision to purchase it. The Froyo which would have been available at that time would have voided my warranty completely as I would have had to have rooted the phone.

I don't even mind that so much, but it was on an entirely new platform all the way around being the first 4G phone, or provision by a provider in the US. So I decided to wait seeing where everything goes. I am glad because not only does sprint now have another 4G unit, they will supposedly release more by September. On top of that Verizon will be rolling out 4G within the next 6 months.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS