Shortcuts

Counterstrike Source Overhaul

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 Posted: Sat, Jun 26 2010 10:41 PM

Anyone else noticed the CS:S upgrade?  They added a lot of achievements and some other niceties.

I like that they re-did the MOTD to use WebKit.  This eliminates the old Wine bug where the MOTD wasn't being displayed properly under Linux.

BTW:  If you run the source dedicated server on Linux, it will download all of the files again to their new location in the ./orangebox subdirectory.  So, be sure to copy your configs there and update any startup scripts you may have so that they actually execute the right srcds_run file.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Yeah they are updating all there games to run on a updated orangebox version of Source engine for the moves to OSX. Updated Half Life 2 and EP1 to the same engine. So both of those have achievements and updated graphics as well. I'm still hoping this all gets moved to Linux, but I have not heard of any updates on that since the original week or so of excitement.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sun, Jun 27 2010 9:31 AM

Yeah, I'm hoping the same thing but trying to keep my expectations in check.  Valve's silence (rather than outright denial) plus the partially-functioning alpha version of Steam for Linux found on their site shows that at least they're considering it.  They probably don't want to commit to anything because they have limited resources working on it and no idea when/if it will ever be complete.  I'm thinking X-mas would be a great release date, but it might be X-mas 2012 if it's just one guy working on it in "spare" time.

A Linux release is something that would make a lot of sense for Valve - more so than for a lot of other companies.  I've seen other indie games ported to Linux where the additional sales more than pay for the port, and these are single games using unique engines.  It seems like Valve is in a good spot to make a lot of money if they've got an orangebox version of Source for Linux waiting in the wings.  Plus, it would prime Steam as a distribution channel of 3rd party for-pay Linux software.

Oh well, we'll just have to wait to see what happens and keep using Wine or dual-booting until then.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS