160,000 Android Devices Being Sold Per Day

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,099
Points 1,183,575
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jun 25 2010 2:07 PM
Apple's stealing all of the smartphone attention these days (some good, some bad press), but Google is always lurking. The two have been feuding for some time now, ever since Google entered the mobile OS market with Android and suddenly got all up in Apple's game. As we have seen earlier in the year, when Android's adopting rate began to surpass the rate of iPhone OS, Android is on a track for success.

But up until now, Google hasn't said much about exactly how successful Android is, or has been. But the time for keeping secrets is apparently over. According to the company, over 160000 mobile phones using Android are being sold each and every day, and that's no small feat. Of course, quite a few more iPhone 4 units have been sold than that during this opening weekend, but a sustained click of 160k per day is very impressive for an OS that just launched 1.5 years ago.

And Android has a bright future too. Motorola's forthcoming DROID X and America's first 4G smartphone (HTC's EVO 4G on Sprint) both run Android, and the Nexus One has a cult-like following already. Google chief executive Eric Schmidt had this to say about it: "Everybody is going to be on mobile devices all the time, every day, unless they're asleep. Everything is moving to mobile and we're participating in it. We have more than 160,000 of these things shipping globally every day."

It'll be really interesting to see what happens to these numbers once Windows Phone 7 launches. Will the momentum continue? Will it give way? Time will tell, but with Android 2.2 coming up, we doubt these figures will drop anytime soon.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Sat, Jun 26 2010 4:25 PM

I'm sure the HTC EVO will please a lot of users, but one thing seems certain - Sprint will not be providing real 4G transmission speeds for quite some time to come. The ITU mandates target peak data rates of up to approximately 100 Mbit/s for high mobility such as mobile access and up to approximately 1 Gbit/s for low mobility such as nomadic/local wireless access (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G). but Sprint's WiMAX won't provide a tenth of these speeds. Sure, «4G» sounds more impressive than «3.5G», but HH shouldn't lend itself to these kinds of advertising tricks....

Henri

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Jun 27 2010 10:04 AM

>> "It'll be really interesting to see what happens to these numbers once Windows Phone 7 launches."

Unless they add a "feature" to Windows that prevents it from inter-operating with any other Phone OS, "not much." There's no lock-in here, and the MS solution is seldom the best.

I predict that Microsoft will have advertisements for their new phones on every channel every 15 minutes, like they do now for Kin and Bing. And, literally billions of dollars down the road, they will have less than 10% of the market and be on the decline, like Bing. Or even worse: They'll only sell 500 phones.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Mocking Sprints 4G speed as you are just proves you are a troll. Only a few minutes of looking would have shown you that Clearwires current speed is the same as Verizon will launch at in the next year.

I will grant that the network is slightly lacking right now, but they are ramping up rapidly. In fact, even though here in Tampa they have not announced its installation yet, I have connected at 4G twice.

4G rollout is fast due to it being much smaller and simpler than 3G.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS