Microsoft Sells 150 Million Windows 7 Licenses, Intros Live Essentials Beta

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,595
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jun 25 2010 9:25 AM
It's no huge secret that Windows 7 is a massive success story. It's hard to say if people were excited about Win7's features or just happy to leave Vista, but either way, Microsoft has managed to move a lot of licenses since the product's launch last year.

This week, Microsoft crossed the 150 million mark, with a 150 million Windows 7 licenses being sold worldwide. That's seven copies sold every seven seconds, making it the fastest selling operating system in the history of the world. Of course, when you have a market share like Microsoft does, it's pretty easy to market your new stuff, but getting people to actually upgrade is still an uphill battle.

And it's a battle that Microsoft seems to be winning. According to reports, "approximately 75% of enterprises are looking at Windows 7 for their organization," and there's little doubt that companies are pushing the majority of those purchases. The best part of this monumental announcement is that Microsoft's celebrating with the publishing of even more software. Starting today, the beta versions of the new Messenger, Photo Gallery, Movie Maker and Sync are being released as Windows Live Essentials.

So, any guesses as to how long it takes Microsoft to double up and hit 300 million?
  • | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 660
Oblio211 replied on Fri, Jun 25 2010 12:34 PM

Not surprising. Windows 7 is really nice and I still attest that Vista was unjustifiably called bad. My copy of Vista never had any issues but I still upgraded to Win7 because I read terrific things about it (which were true). On a side not, I bet Apple comes out next week announcing sales of their newest OSX: Snow Bunny set a NEW record, beating Microsoft, selling a record 8 copies every 5 seconds.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Fri, Jun 25 2010 1:26 PM

Windows 7 isn't breaking records: New PC sales are breaking records (up 20% in 2010).

Those of us who use Linux got Win7 with our systems. What a success for Microsoft.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 865
M-ManLA replied on Fri, Jun 25 2010 10:27 PM

Linux is a different beast. It is harder to track, and the fact that Microsoft software actually have to sell is amazing. Linux is a little harder to see who is downloading it (and Linux still doesn't have the markets share Microsoft has).

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jun 26 2010 8:50 AM

>> and the fact that Microsoft software actually have to sell is amazing.

But they don't. Microsoft hardly "sells" anything. My entire point was that the vast majority of these Win7 sales are just licenses included with new PCs (which Microsoft's only making about $20 each on).

People buy PC hardware because it's abundant and cheap - and Windows just goes along for the ride. No one chooses Win7 thinking it's friendlier, more secure, or easier to use than OSX. In fact, I would bet that most people aren't even aware that there are other operating systems available for PC hardware.

These sales aren't because people said "I want Windows 7"; these sales are because people said "The economy's getting a little better, so I think I can finally buy a new computer".  This is why, even though they're more expensive, Mac sales are actually up 30% - meaning that OSX is growing new users faster than Win7.

Why do I care?  It's just a little perturbing to see Microsoft get credit for something they have no control over when they've done so much to harm the computing market and consumers.  We could just as easily put a free scorpion in every new PC box and write news exclaiming what a success scorpions are.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,694
Points 104,420
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jun 26 2010 10:51 AM

Oblio211: Vista was a stinking turd of an OS until the first service pack came out. Then it was stable, but slow in the area of file transfers and other disk read/write operations. There was eye candy we hadn't seen before, but not allot of substance.

I believed the marketing hype about it's pending release and purchased three copies of Vista Ultimate in advance. I never got close to my money's worth for them and feel like I was ripped off. If Microsoft had not given Windows 7 away free for a year before it's release, their sales of Win 7 would have been a fraction of what they have turned out to be.

I could have made the best of my considerable investment into Vista and forgiven all of it's deficiencies, but I went straight back to XP and stayed there, realizing the full gaming potential of my computers while Microsoft baked Win7. All of my computers at the time were high performance machines for that time, it didn't matter at all.

I see Vista as the biggest Rip-Off to ever hit the world's consumers and they got away with it too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS