Slow Tegra Adoption Could Mean Trouble for NVIDIA

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,504
Points 1,196,985
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jun 22 2010 8:13 PM
Netbooks, smartbooks, mobile devices, and tablets were a major focus of Computex earlier this month but the number of Tegra devices on display was surprisingly low, given how much weight NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang has thrown behind the company's mobile platform.The Microsoft Zune HD was supposed to be the first of a series of high-profile Tegra devices—rumors that the next-generation Nintendo 3DS would be NVIDIA-powered were dispelled recently when dark horse candidate Digital Media Professionals (DMP) announced that its heretofore unknown Pica200 GPU would provide the handheld's 3D hardware.

There are still Tegra and Tegra 2 devices in the pipeline from various manufacturers (NVIDIA claims 50 design wins at this juncture), but NVIDIA has already quietly reduced its forecasts for Tegra revenue this year from "north of $200 million" late last year to "$25-$75 million over six-to-nine months" (given at the company's analyst day in April.) These reduced expectations are echoed by Linley Gwennap, head of mobile chip research firm the Linley Group, who told the Wall Street Journal that Tegra hasn't made much headway in the mobile market.

The Malata A-1011 is an NVIDIA Tegra-based system that was on display at Computex this year

"Where's the beef?" said Linley Gwennap, head of mobile chip research firm the Linley Group. "We keep hearing about these design wins, but most of the tablets we've been seeing are going with a Qualcomm chip or Intel's Atom. It's just a lot harder to break into these markets than they have expected," he added. "It's hard to break in no matter how good your technology is."

Slow Start Not A Major Problem Yet

The WSG goes on to imply that these delays are having a major impact on NVIDIA's stock price (down 35 percent since the beginning of the year), but this link is dubious at best. Even if the company was on track to earn $200 million from its Tegra business in 2010, that's just 6.25 percent of the $3.2 billion in sales NVIDIA reported last year.

If we had to guess at the reason for the slow ramp, we'd pin it on some overenthusiastic revenue projections from NVIDIA last year and the learning curve that comes with competiting in an entirely different market. When it comes to ARM-based products, NVIDIA is the new kid on the block jockeying for position with the likes of Texas Instruments and Qualcomm, both of which are long-established players.

At this stage of the game, its arguably more important for NVIDIA to secure a handful of high-quality design wins that paint Tegra in a positive light, even if sales don't do much for the company's bottom line. First-generation products rarely become smash successes; when Jen-Hsun talks about Tegra providing 50 percent of NVIDIA's revenue a few years down the road, he's obviously in this for the long haul.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 865
M-ManLA replied on Tue, Jun 22 2010 9:25 PM

I think that Nvidia just needs to stick with the GPUs, and GP GPU architecture. Don't worry about getting in the CPU space. I think that Fermi needs to get optimized, and they will have to start getting the low budget GeForce out, and get the Quadro line out. It has taken too long.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:53 AM

When I first saw the Terga chip, I was amazed at the console-like graphics it could provide. But the fact is that Terga ain't in many cellphones as NVIDIA has anticiapted. And that's sad because it's a really good graphics chip.

But still, their main priority is their GeForce line. Even if Terga hasn't been on millions of cell phones yet.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,077
Points 11,665
Joel H replied on Wed, Jun 23 2010 9:33 AM

Taylor: Tegra, not Terga. M-Man, you might want to read the story I linked above in the last paragraph. It explains why Tegra is so important to NV's long-term strategy--while it's a year old, it's still completely applicable.

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 675

It's just inevitable that Nvidea is getting involved with the cellular gpu market. I don't mean this as a negative thing I love my zune and wait for more devices to run Tegra. As we move on to the future people use full sized computer desktops or even laptops less and less. It is necessary for Nvidea to be in this market and move on with the other chip makers as the market demands their products in different direction.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 140
Points 1,710

Even the ion2 hasn't seen much use.  I put off buying a netbook last December/January because of the Ion 2 and Tegra 2 showcase on CES, half the year is almost done and I still can't find a good Ion 2 powered netbook.  These are great technologies and companies aren't adopting them.  I remember Intel saying that "people don't need better graphics in netbooks" but the fact is, people WANT them.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS