Google's Search Engine Gets A Caffeine Boost

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,782
Points 1,162,545
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jun 9 2010 6:09 PM

Google has released its Caffeine indexing technology. As the most significant change Google has made to the basic technology that crawls the Internet and ranks Web pages since 2006, Caffeine has been in the testing phase for almost a year. According to Google, "Caffeine provides 50 percent fresher results for web searches than our last index, and it's the largest collection of web content we've offered."

In a blog post announcing the completion of Caffeine, Google

Our old index had several layers, some of which were refreshed at a faster rate than others; the main layer would update every couple of weeks. To refresh a layer of the old index, we would analyze the entire web, which meant there was a significant delay between when we found a page and made it available to you.

With Caffeine, we analyze the web in small portions and update our search index on a continuous basis, globally. As we find new pages, or new information on existing pages, we can add these straight to the index. That means you can find fresher information than ever before—no matter when or where it was published.

Grimes pointed out that every second Caffeine processes hundreds of thousands of pages in parallel. To put this in perspective, Google says, "Caffeine takes up nearly 100 million gigabytes of storage in one database and adds new information at a rate of hundreds of thousands of gigabytes per day. You would need 625,000 of the largest iPods to store that much information; if these were stacked end-to-end they would go for more than 40 miles."

• | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 194
Points 1,430
Xylem replied on Thu, Jun 10 2010 1:50 AM

Why is google copying search UI from bing??? 1st they had the "Search Results" page display frames like the BING, not the main page started sporting changeable wallpapers!! What is going on??? Google, people are really not stupid and they can see. Copying styles is a serious turn off!!

Travel Rig |Acer Aspire One - ZG5 Mods so far |Toshiba MK4009GAL 40GB.4 - port USB HUB with BT, Touchscreen & GPS. 1GB RAM upgrade. | 

Main Rig |Core 2 Quad Q6600(3.2GHz), 2x2GB OCZ Reaper 800 MHz RAM, 19" AOC 913FW, 2 x 500GB WD HDD & 2 x 1TB WD Green, nVIDIA 8600GT 1GB

Suzuki Swift GTi | 2008 Version | Lots of mods in pipeline.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Copying styles doesn't really matter to me as long as it enhances my search experience. If Microsoft has a beef with it, I'm sure a lawsuit will follow soon enough. I haven't seen the wallpapers on my iGoogle page though.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,816
Points 45,645
rapid1 replied on Thu, Jun 10 2010 3:19 AM

Oh wow Gibbersome your still here I have not seen you in quite some time, how have you been?

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

This is actually pretty cool. I have noticed quite a few times that when breaking news is happening you can't find it on google for a while.

Also the background was not a Bing original. Ask was doing it years before bing copied it and now google.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jun 10 2010 4:56 AM

I don't particularly care for them adding backgrounds to the Google homepage but I'm more accustomed to the white on black homepage. Again, I don't care if it's copied, I care about my search experience.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Bout to say the same for you Rapid:)

I though both of you were to busy playing AVP or STrek online with your HH rigs.

Maybe that is a good idea for the groups section, list the online games with our screen names?

I haven't noticed Googles new setup within my default search engine. When they decide to change that to make it look like Bing is the day that I go ahead and switch over.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Sat, Jun 12 2010 1:21 AM

@TaylorKarras: I completely agree. Google has been adding more and more scripts and flashy garbage to what was once a pristine-- and small-- web page. When I want to search for something, I want to see what I'm searching for-- not a picture of some sort of tree-covered island. (Hey, it must really amuse people who're using wireless and paying by the megabyte!)

I've lately been using the workaround to go to https://www.google.com instead of http://www.google.com but that isn't perfect; you lose the (wait for it to fade in) search type bar, so you have to adapt if you want to search for shopping or image results. Of course, if I stayed logged in to Google, feeding them consumer information (what, you think programmers work on Chrome out of a love for the interface?) I could turn off the pictures... but I almost always close the browser window when I'm not actually working on the Web, meaning that every time I open Firefox, Google launches with a background image.

I still like them, but that like is taking some hits.

EDIT: And we're back. Google has removed default images, so they've gone from Art Nouveau to Bauhaus.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS