DIRECTV Launches Whole-Home DVR Service

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,817
Points 1,165,535
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jun 8 2010 4:13 PM

With the launch of its new Whole-Home DVR service, DIRECTV is making it easier and more convenient for customers to enjoy their favorite shows in up to 15 rooms in their home using a single DVR. The new service lets users share recorded programs on any TV in their home, begin a program in one room and finish it in another, and access DIRECTV’s DVR technology on non-DVR HD receivers. The service is now available. It costs $3 per month.

DIRECTV HD DVR Customers Can Now Record And Watch Shows,
From Any Room of the House – All With A Single DVR

The DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR Service Gives Customers the Power to
Share Recorded Programs with up to 15 Televisions

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--DIRECTV, the world’s most popular video service, is giving customers a virtual HD DVR in any room of the home with the launch of its new DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR service, which is currently available to DIRECTV customers nationwide. In addition, beginning today, DIRECTV is launching a national print, broadcast and online advertising campaign to coincide with the launch of the new service.

With the new multi-room service, customers have even more control over their television viewing experience by being able to share recorded programs on any TV in the home, begin a program in one room and finish it in another, and access DIRECTV’s DVR technology on non-DVR HD receivers.

The DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR service eliminates the need for multiple HD DVRs by allowing customers to record and watch their favorite shows in up to 15 rooms in their home with a single HD DVR.

“We’ve created a connected whole-home service that is perfectly attuned to our customers viewing habits and lifestyles, delivering a DVR experience with maximum convenience and control,” said Romulo Pontual, CTO of DIRECTV. “The DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR service truly enables customers to watch what they want, where they want and when they want it, by simply using a single HD DVR.”

The DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR service is available for $3 per month and provides customers with features such as:

• Access to a single, combined playlist of all of their recorded programs on any connected television in the home,
  • DVR controls in every room, including record, delete, pause and rewind functionality,
  • Stop a recorded show in one room and continue watching in a different room,
  • Manage DVR playlist from any connected room
  • Set separate parental controls for each TV
  • Watch recorded shows in HD in any connected room

For more information on the DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR service please visit www.directv.com/wholehome or call 1-800-DIRECTV.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,572
Points 103,115
MembershipAdministrator

It's too bad the service itself is so expensive. I used it years ago, and 3" of snow outside would render the dish inoperable until I cleaned it off. It was a PITA for sure.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Good price, but the real question is how much storage do you get?  And how many shows or movies can be watched from the DVR simultaneously?

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

This service is fantastic, after the beta period finished I immediately signed up for the $3 a month fee. Three of my receivers are networked together to share media and record programs. Two 500gb DVRs and 1 stand alone HD receiver for a total 1tb of space between all 3. My self installed whole-home dvr used normal cat5e cable to link everything together. Fresh installs use 1 rg-6 cable to operate two tuners and the networking features.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Good to see this capability finally being realized! Kids tomorrow wont remember the days when we couldnt even watch something else while a show was recording :P

Much like they cant remember what the world was like before cell phones! Yet somehow those were the times that took us to the moon! :) OH...Sorry..it is easier to just say that was a conspiracy :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
JasonS132 replied on Sun, Jan 30 2011 5:31 PM

Working at Dish network I like to check out competitors as well, always makes my work life easier. The Whole Home DVR is great, if you have HD service for free, and already have DVR's at least then you are already paying the fee per month. I priced it out with my base package that I would want, and since the FREE HD for life isn't available with that plan, I would have to pay $10.00 for HD, $7.00 for the DVR $3.00 for the whole home DVR, $5.00 per receivers, which I have 4 tv 's minus the first one. Wow, that's a lot to be able to watch the same DVR on all the tv's. I will stick with DISH, that's way to much to add onto a month for something like that.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS