Computex 2010: PowerColor Provides Sneak Peek of HD 5970 Eyefinity 12 Edition

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,923
Points 1,118,125
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jun 6 2010 5:51 AM
There's no shortage of outrageous hardware over here in Computex 2010. But one of the most memorable products we've seen in Taiwan came from ATI graphics partner, PowerColor. The HD 5970 Eyefinity 12 Edition is so extreme that its "mainly for commercial use" and not made for specifically for the consumer market. For the most part, it looks a lot like the reference design HD 5970, but features 4GB of memory and 12 mini-DisplayPort connections by making use of a small extender board which adds another 6 ports to the ones found on the rear panel of the card. In case you were wondering, the card takes up three PCIe slots and measures 12" long.

PowerColor also showed off a couple of graphics cards with features we've never seen before. The HD 5770 Sniper features a Bigfoot network processor built into the card, while the HD 5770 Evolution sports the Lucid Hydra chip that allows for mixing and matching of different models.

Much more on this and other soon-to-be released videocards from PowerColor can be had by hitting the video link below.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,420

Thats a nice new line up of video cards. I like the idea of adding the network conn to the video card, also the card that allows you to run a mix of video cards with it would be interesting and usefull I would think. Like to see a reveiw of those both at work!! And last but not least the Power jack thats cool.I imagine that a lot of us have thought about the sagging of the cards from the size and sheer weight you would think they would snap off and fall to the base of the case.Also the huge heatsinks for the processors the same thing. I figured one day I would turn my rig on and it would go up in smoke cause the heat sink snapped the ears of the plastic base and fell ontop of the vid card.Even thought of using wire ties to tie the up to the case to take the weight off of both the card and Cpu heatsink LOL. But thats a cool addition for the video card.Of course if you have more than one card like some of us not going to mention any names cough, cough, Raid! LOL. Really nice idea. I might have to make me one for 4 video cards in my rig call it the Quad 4 Jack, Thats of course when I win the lottery and able to afford 4 video cards. LOL. Im sure Power Color is already thinking of that and if they arent the will now!!!:)Yes

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 675

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

The most exciting thing I saw here was that 5770 evolution. Being able to combine different graphics cards of different types and even hydro Nvidea cards seems to be great, although this tech has been out for awhile now… I am still left being unsure of the amount of utilization mixed breeds of graphics cards will bring to a pc. Having two of the same high end card such as the 5970 has still yet been tweaked to utilize all its performance. I currently run a single 5970 instead of two because the amount of performance boost from having two is not worth the heat and voltage use.

Another thing I'm really excited for is the implementation of heat pipes and such to cool graphics cards while keeping the voltage use low. Having this type of cooling on an upper class card like a 5870 would bring low voltage cards to gamers such as me.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sun, Jun 6 2010 7:12 PM

I am impressed by all of their new ATI cards, but I would have been much more satisfied with even a passing allusion to a Linux driver that doesn't lock up with ridiculous regularity in OpenGL games.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS