Google Maps Leads Pedestrian Into 4-Lane, Directly Into A Lawsuit

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,196
Points 1,186,500
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Jun 5 2010 11:18 AM
Frequent viewers of "The Office" on NBC may remember one particularepisode where Michael Scott followed a GPS unit into a lake. While itwas hilarious on the television, similar episodes seem to be happeningin real life. On more than one occasion, a motorist has followed a GPSunit into a murky spot, but most of the time the worst to stem from itis lost time, lost money or added miles.

But in the case of a 20-something from Utah, a similar situation has nowled to a lawsuit. According to court documents filed in a DistrictCourt in Utah, a pedestrian was attempting to follow directions fromGoogle Maps that would take her from one side of Park City to the other.The only problem? She was struck by a speeding car while following theroute, injuring her for six weeks and causing her to rack up seriousmedical bills. The suit states that Google provided unsafe directions,and now she's seeking over $100,000.

Reportedly, Google Maps led her to a 4-lane road without any sidewalks,and she still attempted to follow the route. At night. Of course, it'seasy to say now that she should have simply hailed a cab or asked alocal for better directions, but at the time, she simply trusted a namelike Google to not lead her astray. As she found out, even Google Mapscan be off sometimes, and walking on a 4-lane is never, ever a goodidea.

It still remains to be seen if Google will shell out or be foundresponsible, but until then, you may want to heed that phrase about Google's walking directions being "in beta," and also, pay attention toCommon Sense.
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sun, Jun 6 2010 12:40 AM

Well shes to blame for walking on to a 4-lane road when she should of noticed...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jun 6 2010 2:47 AM

Yeah walking on a four lane road and not realizing it might be a mistake. How could that be Google's fault? I mean I get that the GPS sent her that way, but it did not make her walk on the four lane, it just pointed her in the direction of what she was seeking. If it told her to walk through a pool or over a lake what would have happened, walk out as far as she could and sit down and cry because she could not go any further.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,658
Points 104,150
MembershipAdministrator
realneil Lightning [li] replied on Sun, Jun 6 2010 10:02 AM

Maybe she suffering from the dreaded "Two Bricks Shy Of A Full Load" syndrome. Ick!

It could be a case of "Not The Sharpest Tool In The Shed" fever. Tongue Tied

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Yeah, Well we know who she voted for!

Even when they are lead into a hole they still find someone to blame:P

Then Again, why didn't I think of this! What a great way to go after the company with the most money without overhead. This is better than the coffee 4McD's, or the slip Isle at Wallsmart:P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 341
Points 4,490
slugbug replied on Sun, Jun 6 2010 11:42 AM

Any lawyer who takes this case deserves a slap in the face by he judge and be laughed out of court.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

I want to say this sounds like she's just attempting to get free money, but I don't think she would have gone through the whole getting hit by a car and recovering for six weeks.

Still, I agree with everyone else. This is stupid. I've never used Google Maps for walking anyway.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Jun 6 2010 5:28 PM

I'm pretty sure there's always been a disclaimer on Google's site that says walking directions may not have sidewalks.  If anything, she should be suing the speeder.  Or, she herself should be ticketed for walking on a motorway.

My take on people who blindly follow these directions: Kill em all and let Darwin sort it out.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Jun 6 2010 7:00 PM

>> I want to say this sounds like she's just attempting to get free money, but I don't think she would have gone through the whole getting hit by a car and recovering for six weeks.

I have no doubt she was recovering, and an ambulance chaser came to her hospital room and said "Wow, you have been wronged! Let me sue Google and get YOU the money YOU deserve (+90% more for me)".

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

It wouldn't surprise me either. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Jun 7 2010 4:28 AM

I have used Google Maps to get walking directions and I saw the note too that said that some roads might not have crosswalks, and the walking directions are mostly in beta. My guess is that she's trying to get a quick buck off of Google. What I think she should do is sue the driver who ran her over.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
It would make more sense to sue the driver! Yet I am sure that the Ambulance chaser already checked into that. It was probably an illegal immigrant and he understood there is no money there. So he decided to go after the major corporation with the greenbacks!

I am just surprised that they are not going after all of her teachers as well. To not get enough of an education that she need to watch the GPS to guide her on how to walk! Does she drive her car just by looking at TomTom! :P
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630

Evidently she forgot to check the "Use the common sense God gave to chimpanzees" checkbox.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS