Steve Jobs: The iPhone Was Born From The iPad, Not Vice-Versa

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,356
Points 1,191,525
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jun 3 2010 6:30 AM
No one can ever debate the significance of the iPhone. It has changedsociety, it has changed the smartphone landscape, and it has changed theexpectations of people when dealing with technology in general.Regardless of whether you personally dig the iPhone or not, there'slittle doubt that it's a game changer. But did you know that the iPad,which has sold 2 million units but still can't claim to have changed theworld quite yet, had more to do with the iPhone than vice-versa?

It's a pretty crazy thought, but according to Apple's own CEO, it's atrue story. The iPad idea actually came first, with the iPhone conceptsimply growing from that. Chicken before the egg? Maybe, but on anothertrain of thought, this really makes sense. During the eighth annual AllThings Digital conference in California this week, Steve Jobs took thestage for an interview--one that was highly anticipated in the wake ofthe Foxconn events and the iPhone 4G leak. The questions were varied,and Jobs touched on quite a wide array of topics. But one thing he saidreally surprised us: the idea for the iPad was first at Apple, and theiPhone was second. Of course, they came to market in the opposite order,but that's the truth from the man himself.

Jobs said that Apple had an idea for getting rid of the keyboard andgoing to a multi-touch display in the early 2000s, and when a mockup of atablet was delivered to him, he stated: "My God, we can build a phoneout of this." And that's how it all began. A tablet brought about anidea for a phone, and the iPhone came about long before the iPad eversaw the light of day. This may explain, however, the rumors of an Appletablet that went back many, many years. The fact is that there was aconcept tablet or two floating around Apple's campus well before theiPhone came to light, but it was put on the shelf for awhile duringwhich Apple focused their resources on perfecting a phone.

So, on that note, does anyone have any guesses as to what wild productApple will introduce five years from now? We bet there's a crazy storyalready in the works.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, Jun 3 2010 12:40 PM

>> does anyone have any guesses as to what wild product Apple will introduce five years from now?

The iTable. They actually had this idea before the iPad, but when someone gave the mock-up to Steve Jobs, he said "My God, we can build a pad out of this."

They're lucky they even got the iPhone to market: When they showed the mock-up to Steve, he said "My God, we can build a watch out of this."

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

lol 3vi1.

I watched that old interview with Steve Jobs and Bill Gates the other day. What's funny looking back is Bill was all about small devices and cloud stuff and how the PC will take a smaller role in our lives and Steve was talking about how the PC would still be an important part of your daily life and how the PC is going to stay around for a long time.

Seems the ideas have switched sides.

http://d5.allthingsd.com/20070531/video-steve-jobs-and-bill-gates-together-part-3-of-7/

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780

The iCar.

It's all electric, has the exact same components as other similar cars in it's class, yet it costs twice as much to buy, and repair. Unlike similar other electric cars, it only comes with 1 headlight, instead of two, because 1 headlight can do just as well as 2.

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

Mobility Radeon 5870 1GBVRAM

8GB Ram

1 X OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

So did the chicken or the egg come first? apparently the tree came before the apple as well

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, Jun 3 2010 8:38 PM

lol Chainzsaw,

And you have to send it back to Apple to have the oil changed. :)

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Jun 4 2010 2:40 AM

I think it was the egg that came first, then it was the chicken.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Fri, Jun 4 2010 10:54 AM

This really makes sense if you look at it from an engineering pov. At the time of the release of the iPhone processor wise (both CPU and GPU) they were not quite small enough for the tablet. However; for the phone and it's expected (or above) capabilities at the time they were. So I could actually see this as being true. I think the nest release will be the iSee which will be a projective display technology. It will come in there new devices and need no external display. This will actually be 4 beams (coming from each corner of a square) moving in a quadrangular (Pyramidal laser spectrum) beam's to create a 4D image field at the top.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780
Chainzsaw replied on Fri, Jun 4 2010 11:08 AM

@3vi1

Haha I tried to make something funny up, but I still say your post takes the cake :)

Some of the funniest things i've read come from you guys! Dare I say it, funnier than SNL sometimes!

I really do wonder what Appple has up their sleeves. They seem to have a knack of making a niche product something everybody wants.

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

8GB Ram

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780
Chainzsaw replied on Fri, Jun 4 2010 11:12 AM

@rapid 1

That actually is a pretty good idea.

I could imagine Apple making a product with a pico-like projector inside say something like the Iphone. So if you wanted to, you could get a full-blown computer from a smart phone with the screen projected to wherever you want. Much like that keyboard (forgot what it's called) that is all light.

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

8GB Ram

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Sat, Jun 5 2010 3:10 AM

I get crazy idea's a lot lol. I am a member of a website called Linked in it is kind of like a facebook for professionals. Microsoft posted a thing to a special hi performance computing board about needing ideas today for the new market and devices etc (fresh ideas etc). I told them there development department should have listened to me three years ago when I tried to get them to co-patent a tablet cell phone combination device. I really did try to submit the patent, however all I could submit was the idea for a slate like device which of course was already owned. They told me for a similar device with one hardware addition I would need R&D data. I bickered with the patent office about it, then tried to get several companies to pick it up with no luck.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS