Intel Expects Moorestown To Compete In Smartphone Space Early Next Year

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,856
Points 1,115,475
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jun 2 2010 8:38 PM
NVIDIA has Tegra, ARM has the Cortex line, and Qualcomm has theSnapdragon family. These are the major players in the smartphone CPU warright now, and there seems to be plenty of options to go around. But ofcourse, as a microprocessor company, Intel isn't going to just sitaround on the sidelines while everyone else wins business in a growingcategory. The Atom platform is being tweaked and expanded to includeMoorestown, which is a new low-drain arm of Atom that will work nicelyin MIDs, smartphones and even tablet PCs.

But it's going to be quite some time before Intel's ready to compete inthe space. During the Computex show this week, the company stated thatthey wouldn't be ready to ship a Moorestown-based smartphone beforeearly 2011, with tablets and slates to get the platform "first." Wearen't too surprised at the notion; shipping first in a tablet, whichhas less strict power and heat requirements due to the larger size,makes sense, and it will give Intel time to work out the problems withthermals.

But what will the smartphone landscape look like in 7-8 months? AnotherCPU will enter the fold (the A4 CPU expected in Apple's next generationiPhone), and we're certain that Qualcomm's dual-core 1.2GHz chip will betoasting benchmarks everywhere. Does the world really have room foranother smartphone chip? According to Intel, yes. Moorestown is shapingup to be the most powerful smartphone platform yet, with the ability totruly multi-task, play back 1080p video and even handle games like Worldof Warcraft right on your phone. Of course, we will have to wait until aproduct ships before blows are thrown, but next year's smartphone warsare bound to be exciting. We're guessing a MeeGo phone (or a Moblinphone) will be first to test Moorestown, but who knows--maybe Androidwill make a surprise appearance.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780
Chainzsaw replied on Thu, Jun 3 2010 10:23 AM

With Intel's manufacturing prowess, i'm surprised they didn't make a high performance, low power, smartphone processor much, much sooner.

It seems like they are only jumping on the bandwagon after seeing what everyone else can do.

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

Mobility Radeon 5870 1GBVRAM

8GB Ram

1 X OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Thu, Jun 3 2010 1:17 PM

Oh, they've been trying. Atom itself was an attempt.... but it lost to the ARM Cortex across the board on size, power, performance... (a 1Ghz Cortex beats a 1.6Ghz Atom). It will be interesting to see if Intel brings some real competition this time.

I rather like that ARM has forced people to shed their single-processor-architecture notions though, and hope they continue to have a large marketshare (and maybe move into the desktop space). Competition creates incentive for innovation.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780

True.

That would be quite neat to see ARM in the desktop scene. Would be interesting to have more choices for processors as well.

At the rate technology is going, i'm pretty sure we will get to a point where most technology will pretty much be able to do the same thing (what i mean is that for example, Intel, AMD, ARM, Texas Instruments, will have such powerful chips that no matter what you get it will do well). My point being is that having all these devices similar in terms of performance/power you can have a good choice of what you want to get, and not have to be locked into one certain provider.

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

8GB Ram

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Thu, Jun 3 2010 8:40 PM

>> i'm pretty sure we will get to a point where most technology will pretty much be able to do the same thing

Only if the patent system gets some much-needed reform. :) I certainly hope so though.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Jun 4 2010 2:57 AM

Chainzsaw:

True.

That would be quite neat to see ARM in the desktop scene. Would be interesting to have more choices for processors as well.

At the rate technology is going, i'm pretty sure we will get to a point where most technology will pretty much be able to do the same thing (what i mean is that for example, Intel, AMD, ARM, Texas Instruments, will have such powerful chips that no matter what you get it will do well). My point being is that having all these devices similar in terms of performance/power you can have a good choice of what you want to get, and not have to be locked into one certain provider.

I don't know how it'd work in the desktop market and how powerful it would be comparing it to AMD and Intel. While I do appriciate what ARM processors are doing (we shouldn't forget the fact that Intel used to manufacture ARM processors itself.) I just don't see it being competitive in a desktop market but I will be interested to see what Intel's new mobile processors can do once they reach the tablets.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

ARM is not X86 so I don't think it's going to the desktop any time soon. Cellphone and netbook CPUs are starting to blur a bit. I have seen that 1GHz SnapDragon in a few tables and phones.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780
Chainzsaw replied on Fri, Jun 4 2010 10:02 AM

I should have been a bit more clear on what I was trying to convey. I meant in the sense of most technology being able to do the same thing much in the way for example Boing and Airbus compete. They offer different airplanes, but in the end they both get you where you need to go :)

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

8GB Ram

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS