Hitachi GST Reveals 7mm 2.5" Hard Drive For Slimmer Than Slim Notebooks

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,877
Points 1,116,615
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jun 1 2010 7:46 AM
It had to happen at some point. The standard 9.5mm height hard drive hasbeen around for years, and even in super-thin notebooks of today, thatdrive has managed to fit. Snugly, of course, but still fit. But with newnotebook concepts pushing the boundaries of thickness, there had tocome a hard drive maker with a plan for slimming things down. HitachiGST has done just that with their Z-Series Family, which is described asthe "industry's highest capacity and fastest 7mm ultra-thin and lighthard drives."

These new 7mm drives are meant for the slimmest of machines, and weprobably won't see them used across the board for a few more yearsstill. Both the Travelstar and CinemaStar lines are getting the new,slimmer model, with capacities offered as high as 320GB. It also spinsat 7200rpm, so there's a speed advantage as well. The company is hopingthat these drives will help lead the shift from 9.5mm 2.5" drives to 7mm2.5" drives, and a great many tablets could also take advantage.

While the size is still somewhat unique, the ports and connectors arenot; standard interfaces will have no problem fitting in with the new HDD. No prices are mentioned yet, but volume shipments are expected byJuly. Expect your next thin-and-light to be thinner than ever if it'susing one of these. Now, if only we could figure out how to slim thoseoptical drives down as well...

New Hitachi Z-Series FamilyIncludes:

Travelstar Z7K320 Family – Industry’s first 7200 RPM, 7mm,2.5-inchhard drives

The Hitachi Travelstar Z7K320 drive with a 16MB cache and a SerialATA3Gb/sec interface provides high capacity, performance anddurability ona proven platform for quality and reliability. For use in notebookPCs,ultra portables and netbooks, and compact desktop systems, theTravelstar Z7K320 drive delivers up to 18 percent betterapplicationperformance than 5400 RPM models of the same capacity, turningnetbooksand laptops into performance-leading solutions.

Best-of-breed acoustics and eco-friendly features such as lowpower anda halogen-free design make the Travelstar Z7K320 drive a smartchoice.The drive offers 1.8 watts (W) read/write power and 0.8W low poweridlefor more unplugged computing time. It also delivers 2.3 idle / 2.4seekbels for a quieter, richer audio-listening experience for music,moviesand games.

Travelstar Z5K320 Family – Industry’s highest capacity, 7mm,5400 RPM2.5-inch hard drive at 320GB

The new Hitachi Travelstar Z5K320 – a 7mm, 5400 RPM, 2.5-inch, 8MBcache, Serial ATA 3Gb/sec interface hard drive – meets the needsofmobile and ultra-portable applications in an eco-friendlyenvironment.The Travelstar Z5K320 drive offers 1.6W read/write power and 0.55Wlowpower idle, and delivers quiet acoustics at 1.9 idle / 2.0 seekbels.

CinemaStar Z5K320 Family – Industry’s first 7mm drives for A/Vstreaming devices

Hitachi CinemaStar drives are specifically designed for A/Vstreamingdevices and power the most popular set-top boxes (STB), PVRs,portablevideo players, DVR-enabled TVs and video surveillance systems inthemarket today. This fifth generation 2.5-inch, 5400 RPM, 8MB cache,Serial ATA 3Gb/sec interface CinemaStar drive continues thistradition,delivering the right balance of capacity, power-management andoutstanding low acoustics.

Continuing to push acoustic performance, as well as hard drive andsystems reliability, Hitachi has implemented several designimprovementsto enhance its new CinemaStar Z5K320 drive family. At 1.9 idle /2.0seek bels, the new CinemaStar Z5K320 family delivers the quietest7mm2.5-inch experience for bedroom-quiet systems. Reliabilityenhancementsinclude an improved protection scheme for power fluctuation andenhancedThermal Fly-Height Control for improved error rates.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

Wow! That is one small HDD. This is just me thinking weirdly here, but what would be the odds of setting up more than one of these hard drives in a RAID setup....in a laptop.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780

At that thickness, or should I say thinness, you could probably stack them in a larger laptop easily. Although they look like if you sneeze at it, it will fall apart.

Also whats strange is... notebook platters shatter extremely easily. I've taken apart regular HDD's, and laptop HDD's, and the desktop HDD's are made of this solid chunk of metal. Same with the laptop HDD's, but they seem to shatter like glass if you bend them.

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

Mobility Radeon 5870 1GBVRAM

8GB Ram

1 X OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

True. When I look at that picture the HDD honestly reminds me of a floppy disc.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Considering the thing is only a little more than a qtr inch thick, yea it reminds me of a floppy disc as well.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Chainzsaw:
Also whats strange is... notebook platters shatter extremely easily. I've taken apart regular HDD's, and laptop HDD's, and the desktop HDD's are made of this solid chunk of metal. Same with the laptop HDD's, but they seem to shatter like glass if you bend them.

Maybe it's the way the metal is crafted. Like tempered glass is stronger than regular glass, but if tapped on the edge shatters easily.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS