NVIDIA And Asus Launch "3D PC" Category With Three New Machines

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,836
Points 1,169,890
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, May 31 2010 5:39 PM
It simply had to happen at some point. There's 3D cinemas, 3D HDTVs, andnow, the 3D PC is upon us. NVIDIA and Asus are teaming up to make anearly push into a market that will almost definitely explode over thecoming months and years, laying down a few ground rules about what ittakes to call a new PC a "3D PC." We never imagined that we would needan industry standard definition for 3D PCs, but here we are in that veryspot.

As NVIDIA looks to push 3D into the PC gaming realm with their 3D Visiontechnologies, they've come to Acer to showcase three new machines.These three machines, as you would guess, are the first three to beclassified as "3D PCs" by NVIDIA's definition.

By that definition, a 3D PC is a desktop or notebook PC that meetsthefollowing minimum requirements:

• Includes a pair of 3D active-shutter glasses (like the 3D Vision kit from NVIDIA), the only solution to provide full resolution 3D to each eye.
  • A 120Hz 3D-capable display in the form of a desktop LCD monitor, a 3D projector, a 3D TV, or a notebook PC with an integrated 3D-capable LCD.
  • A discrete graphics processor (like a GeForce GPU from NVIDIA) that is capable of delivering high definition imagery to the 3D display

Basically, NVIDIA wants to make sure that you're using 3D Vision andtheir GPUs for your 3D movie watching and gaming, though we're sure morePCs will come along that support 3D without meeting thesequalifications. In fact, the MSI Wind Top AE2420 is proof of that. Atany rate, the three new machines used to kick this off are the AsusG51Jx-EE notebook, the EeeTOP ET2400 all-in-one desktop PC and the AsusCD5390 gaming desktop. Details are scarce about these machines rightnow, as we suspect they were finalized just recently in order to helpNVIDIA launch this push. We suspect fuller specifications will beavailable soon--NVIDIA clearly doesn't want anyone waiting around toenjoy 3D content on their next PC.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

Now, I'm sure they understand this, but if I were Nvidia and ASUS I wouldn't use up all of my company recourses into 3D technology. I'd test the waters so to speak and see just how big of a market there is for something like this.

I myself get really immersed into the stories that I play. Especially games like Mass Effect 2. Don't even get me started on how much I want to live in that universe.

But I'm not really sure if I want to experience that universe in 3D. In fact, 3D really isn't that big of a concern for me, at least not now since the technology is still getting polished.

I think that the option of 3D should be out there for the consumers will to get it, but I don't think it will be a major selling point any time soon.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Yeah the option is there for anyone. If you have cheap red/blu glasses then you can enable it in the Nvidia drivers. All you really need for the full color is 120hz monitor(Which is fast becoming standard) and the Nvidia glasses which at this point not cheap. I would love to get a pair though. Maybe Christmas. Not sure about wearing them with a headset on though. Might become uncomfortable quickly.

Everyone should at least try a game like Left 4 Dead in 3D. I think it really does add something. Beats the crap out of frame rates though since it is basically rendering the screen 2 times. Once for each eye.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 194
Points 1,430
Xylem replied on Tue, Jun 1 2010 3:52 AM

As NVIDIA looks to push 3D into the PC gaming realm with their 3D Vision technologies, they've come to Acer to showcase three new machines.

Has NVIDIA also tied up with Acer?

Travel Rig |Acer Aspire One - ZG5 Mods so far |Toshiba MK4009GAL 40GB.4 - port USB HUB with BT, Touchscreen & GPS. 1GB RAM upgrade. | 

Main Rig |Core 2 Quad Q6600(3.2GHz), 2x2GB OCZ Reaper 800 MHz RAM, 19" AOC 913FW, 2 x 500GB WD HDD & 2 x 1TB WD Green, nVIDIA 8600GT 1GB

Suzuki Swift GTi | 2008 Version | Lots of mods in pipeline.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,573
Points 103,135
MembershipAdministrator

Occasionally, the PC industry tries to cram something down our throats. (sometimes it works, and sometimes not) This is one of those times. I think that 3D technology is a prime example of something that we never knew that we needed, until that need was created by marketers. This will never stop and at some point you have to realize that what you have already is good enough, no, GREAT, and that you don't need to constantly jump over your wallet every time that their whistle blows.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Tue, Jun 1 2010 11:18 AM

When they get a setup like the one in GAMER 3D will take off. I mean come on at least a full sensory body suit, wide screen helmet for display/Sound. I I want a 3D environment I want to be able to turn 360 degrees , and look up and down. I don't want things coming out of my screen at me, that might add somewhat of an effect, but it is not 3D it's just 2D with some effects.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS