Up Close and Personal with the New Drobo S Direct Attached Storage Device

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,220
Points 1,187,385
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, May 27 2010 10:35 AM
The original Drobo direct-attached-storage (DAS) device hit the scene in summer of 2007 and took the tech world by storm. It represented a new paradigm in how you could implement external, redundant back-up storage with much of the same goodness that RAID offers, but without a number of the headaches and the complexity that also comes with traditional RAID solutions. The Drobo still used RAID to redundantly store data across multiple hard drives, but did so using Data Robotics’ own version of it, which it calls BeyondRAID.  The primary advantages that Data Robotics’ BeyondRAID has over traditional RAID is that with BeyondRAID you can add and remove hard drives that have different capacities and speeds and from different manufacturers; and you do this while the device is operating--without any downtime--and without needing to do any manual data migration.

One of Data Robotics' newer devices is the Drobo S, which is a five-bay DAS device, with eSATA, FireWire 800, and USB 2.0 ports.  Journey on for our full, detailed coverage and performance analysis...
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

These are really nice. I wish they didn't cost so much or that there was similar software for cheaper.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,661
Points 104,165
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, May 28 2010 8:11 AM

I agree, they are expensive, but I want one or two of them. I have since the very first time I ever saw one of them. Maybe they should give a few of these away here on HotHardware to some deserving geeks. (hint)

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
totalflux replied on Sat, Feb 26 2011 12:06 AM

I am really happy with my 1st gen Drobo, but I would still love to get me a Drobo S one of these days. Great review by the way! Here is another look at different Drobo models: http://totalflux.blogspot.com/2011/02/drobo-your-friendly-data-storage-robot.html

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS