Survey: 60% Of Facebook Consider Quitting Over Privacy

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,334
Points 1,191,025
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, May 22 2010 7:03 PM
Facebook has been in the news a lot lately, but not for reasons thatthe service is particularly proud of. For as many million users as ithas, Facebook's biggest issue now is dealing with pundits and those whoare focused on privacy holes that need to be patched up. Facebook isquickly garnering a negative reputation, one that sees the service ascareless with user information and incapable of effectively protectingimages and other personal data. Basically, the trust in Facebook hasbeen questioned lately, and it has led to more than a few high-profile"Facebook deletions," where Web celebs are removing their accountsentirely in the name of privacy.

Of course, polling the general public during a time when the media isharping on how poorly Facebook is handling privacy will skew results,but it's safe to say that Facebook has a real issue on their hands. Anew Sophos poll, conducted online, shows that over half (60%) of thosewho answered are at least considering the removal of their profile fromthe Internet. Quitting Facebook seems like a pretty big leap of faithwhen social networking is just now starting to really explode, but withthe advent of Twitter, LinkedIn, MySpace, etc., people definitely haveoptions.

A full 16% of those polled said that they have already yanked theirFacebook profile in order to rest easier. While it's possible that manyof these users will reconsider when the media fire slows, this makesclear that users are seriously concerned with privacy. They no longerwant companies to disregard their privacy rights; on the contrary, theywant it to be a top priority. Facebook has added some extra privacyoptions in the past few months, but you have to go digging for them. Bydefault, most everything you post or upload is visible to the world atlarge.

So, are you in the 60%? Not worried over privacy at all? Have faiththat Facebook will turn things around? Either way, it's definitelygetting people to think about privacy and the online world, which issomething that has been needed for years.

• | Post Points: 140
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

I don't know how many people participated in this survey, if it was in the thousands then that's a pretty good data pool, which means that I'm surprised by how many people are actually considering getting rid of their accounts.

But, I'm confused on what people consider "personal" information. In most cases it's social security numbers, credit card information and drivers license information. I can't really think of anything on Facebook that I consider to be personal.

Anyone care to elaborate for me on just what info Facebook released?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Sun, May 23 2010 12:35 AM

Your name Marius. You see a large number of providers of job's, organizations and on and on, now go look to see if you have a facebook page. They make decisions based on it. I have also heard of court cases being decided about or because of them. Not to mention other things. I think those may be of concern to some.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Sun, May 23 2010 12:37 AM

I for one have already partially moved back to Myspace mainly because generally they look at Facebook. I don't know I don't really do anything on either but mess around so I may just dump them both.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Points 1,365
Schmich replied on Sun, May 23 2010 7:35 AM

"Of course, polling the general public during a time when the media is harping on how poorly Facebook is handling privacy will skew results"

This. I bet the numbers would be much much lower. Also considering usually means no. There aren't any real alternatives...unless all your friends decide to move to eg. Orkut.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,682
Points 104,315
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, May 23 2010 8:41 AM

One should consider that anything posted anywhere on the WORLD WIDE WEB will be public knowledge, and accessible forever. To think otherwise is naive. Even if you were to close your account today, your data still belongs to, and is kept by Facebook for years.

My wife is a teacher. Being tuned in to the kids, she discovered that they were taking photos of high profile students, and even teachers from Facebook and having a little fun with PhotoShop. The resulting nasty pictures were posted throughout the school with disastrous consequences.

The photos were innocent, normal pictures posted on Facebook to start with. It's too easy for someone with an agenda to manipulate pictures in our new digital age.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Sun, May 23 2010 1:40 PM

I heard the other day a waitress got fired for comments she made on Facebook about patrons that did not tip and she waited them for a few hours, it probably did not help she used the company name and location in her complaint.

So incidents do occur as a result of Facebook usage, scary to think sometimes!!! Hmm

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

I looked my name up on Google Rapid1. My facebook didn't show up, and the only search results within the first ten pages were people with similar names to mine, but not my exact name. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Facebook has horrid security. Even if you enable all the privacy settings, people can still get in and look at everything in your profile with just a little URL wizardry. There is a thread on /b/ that discribes exactly how to do it. Go figure.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,076
Points 11,645
Joel H replied on Wed, May 26 2010 9:35 AM

Forget considering. I did quit.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780
Chainzsaw replied on Wed, May 26 2010 12:19 PM

I already deleted mine way before this fiasco started. I would rather not waste my time "hanging out with frinds on facebook".

Anyone watch that South Park episode "You have 0 friends".

Stan's dad reminds me of quite a few peopl!

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

Mobility Radeon 5870 1GBVRAM

8GB Ram

1 X OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Marius Malek:

But, I'm confused on what people consider "personal" information. In most cases it's social security numbers, credit card information and drivers license information. I can't really think of anything on Facebook that I consider to be personal.

Anyone care to elaborate for me on just what info Facebook released?

For one example. Say I hate my boss. So I say on my facebook page that I hate him. I don't friend him because well I hate him. A while back they opted you into a option that allowed friends of friends to see your profile. So one of my friends is friends with my boss he can now see EVERYTHING in my profile. Facebook never notified me that they were making that changed just opted me into it.

I think that is were they big issue is. When they make a change and make stuff more open they OPT YOU IN. So if you have not messed with your settings then you are sharing everything. What is worse is that say you changed something to private they change how that option works and OPT YOU BACK INTO IT.

I'm not deleting my facebook, but most people think of facebook as a place to share pics and catch up with friends. You really have to assume that anyone can see your data.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

Well I've changed my settings to where people who aren't my friend can only see a limited number of information. Plus some other stuff. 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS