Apple's "Get A Mac" Ad Campaign Ends, Bashing Google And Adobe Still On

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,109
Points 1,183,835
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, May 22 2010 5:00 PM
Justin Long said it was over, and well...it's over. The long-running"Get A Mac" ad campaign is coming to end, which is the second large"angry" ad campaign in the tech world to get put away in the past fewmonths. AT&T recently ditched their "anti-Verizon" ads in favor ofa new Rethink Possible series, and now Apple has decided to take iteasy on those PC users. Instead of focusing on what the PC can't do,the company is hoping to tell people more about what the Mac can do.It's sort of like the "Switcher" ads from years ago, but with lessrandom people and more random Mac screenshots.

If you go hunting for the "Get A Mac" campaign on the company'swebsite, you'll come up empty. Just last week, all of the ads werethere for your enjoyment. Now, that page redirects to a "Why You'llLove A Mac" page, which points out five key marketing areas where Macsare "superior" to PCs: Better Hardware, Better Software, Better OS,Better Support, and It's Compatible. Of course, all of those points canbe argued, but it's interesting to see Apple follow AT&T inchoosing softer, nicer ads rather than competitor-bashing commercials.

Still, Apple hasn't ditched the "mean guy" persona. They're still atwar in some ways with Google and Adobe, and neither of those bitterbattles seem to be ending anytime soon. We can't say we'll really missthe ads. While some were worthy of a chuckle, they were generally meanspirited, and we would rather see both Microsoft and Apple spend moretime innovating and less time bashing each other on nationaltelevision.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, May 22 2010 7:36 PM

>> they were generally mean spirited

I think you misspelled "hilarious".

There's nothing wrong with pointing out your competitions flaws in a comical way.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

I agree with 3vi1, but if I was in that management position I would let my product do the talking and spend the money that I would have on advertising against other companies; then allocate that towards the proper innovation and preservation of my company and its products.

Take Sam Adams beer for example. I love their commercials, they spend their money talking about their history of making great beer, not saying how better their beer is. They only own .9% of the entire beer market and yet they have enough money to keep their operation personal yet get the resources needed from around the world.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 70

I'm not a Microsoft fan but I was very happy to see those laptop hunters ads they produced.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,905
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, May 23 2010 8:53 AM

Apple needed a hook to gain market share. They came up with these ads and they were wildly successful too. It's what they are supposed to do. They did it well. We can expect another one soon , I think.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, May 23 2010 9:09 AM

Marius Malek:

I agree with 3vi1, but if I was in that management position I would let my product do the talking and spend the money that I would have on advertising against other companies; then allocate that towards the proper innovation and preservation of my company and its products.

So you're saying you wouldn't spend TWO BILLION DOLLARS advertising Bing in just in the U.K., in an attempt to run Google out of business?  That's four times what Apple spent on advertising everywhere in 2009.

Just saying that if advertising is a poor utilization of money and sign of a company that's not innovating, let's look at who does the most.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, May 23 2010 9:31 AM

JastinSlayer:

I'm not a Microsoft fan but I was very happy to see those laptop hunters ads they produced.

I thought the laptop hunter adverts were painfully embarrassing for MS.  It showed that they couldn't make any good argument saying that Windows (the MS product) was better than OSX.  Microsoft had to resort to claiming superiority based on cheap hardware that they don't even make, design, or sell.

So, instead of touting features, security, DRM, or utility, MS bandied with initial hardware cost.  And, they didn't even tell the consumer that this benefit was mostly due to their collusion with the system manufacturers to throw in their OS for $20 a unit (and gouge you later on full-price upgrades and Office), in order to maintain a monopoly.

I would have had a lot more respect for MS if they had argued a real advantage.  The only one I can think of is "number of games", but I suppose that's not the one parents consider when buying systems for themselves or their college-bound offspring.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS