HP CEO Confirms: WebOS Slates And Printers On The Way

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,220
Points 1,187,385
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, May 19 2010 8:27 AM
It's still sinking in that Hewlett-Packard (of all companies) acquired Palm, and while the finalization has yet to occur, it's assumed that the paperwork will be only a formality. Once the companies came out about the news, the biggest question people had was about the future of WebOS, Palm's own mobile OS. WebOS was one of the first major mobile operating systems to support native multi-tasking (using a "cards" approach), and the Palm Pre was actually a fairly important phone for the company.

Some say the exclusive deal with Sprint really killed all hopes of the phone ever truly taking off, but that's all water under the bridge at this point. Now, on HP's first conference call regarding financials since the news of the acquisition broke, we learned a couple of important things regarding that very question. First, HP had thrown out a vague promise to "double down" on WebOS, but no one really knew or understood what exactly that meant. Speculation raged about a WebOS tablet, but that was about all it ever was: speculation.

Now, HP CEO Mark Hurd is making it easier on everyone to speculate even harder. During the time of the quarterly call, he Tweeted that consumers could "expect [HP] to leverage WebOS beyond smart phones into form factors such as slated and web-connected printers." And that's straight from the big man's mouse. So these two points are certainly intriguing. First off, we're super excited to hear the HP CEO confirm that a WebOS slate is in the plans. That HP Hurricane that was rumored earlier in the month may indeed be what's on the drawing board, and something like that may provide real, needed competition for the iPad. Second, the printer announcement is odd. Not unexpected, given just how powerful HP is in the printer business, but strange still. You wouldn't ever think of putting Android or iPhone OS onto a printer, so shoe-horning a mobile OS like WebOS onto one just feels like squeezing a square into a round hole. But maybe, just maybe, it'll work. Connected printers have the possibility to really revive an older technology, and being able to always print remotely or from the Web itself could get people in the habit of printing once again.

So, the wait is officially on. When will the first WebOS tablet and WebOS printer hit the market? Hopefully prior to the 2010 holiday shopping season, if only because we're impatient.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Not really sure why I would want WebOS on a printer, but I am sure they have a game plan with it that is better than what I am picturing.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Fri, May 21 2010 8:08 AM

>> Not really sure why I would want WebOS on a printer

You wouldn't. This is just HP trying to find some way to make the best of a bad investment. Putting it on a tablet is a sure flop too, since Android and Apple are going to get all the developer attention. WebOS is headed the way of BeOS.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
hotview replied on Fri, May 21 2010 1:01 PM

>> Not really sure why I would want WebOS on a printer

webOS is one of the best mobile operating systems that is well known for having the best multitasking capability on smartphones; 50 apps at the same time. iPhone doesn't have true multitasking and hasn't had such feature since it's release. webOS on a printer will turn HP's legacy printers into INTERNET printers. This means, you can print all your documents and personal photos remotely from your Palm Pre smartphone or other mobile device. By the time you get home, your printed documents will be ready and so will your photos. Today, we have to turn on a PC/Laptop, download files from eMail attachments, turn on the Printer, and send the document to the printer. That will all change with Internet printers and will be completely bypassed. Direct Internet Printing is the future!

webOS is so powerful, it will turn printers into dedicated Print Servers. This also means, anyone who wants to print to these printers will not require device drivers to install. So if you think outside of the box (unlike 3vi1), you'll realize how valuable Internet Printers will become to businesses who want to offer their clients new convenient and innovative ways to send their signed documents and images directly to their new Internet Printer. HP's new webOS Internet Printers will be a HUGE hit!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, May 23 2010 9:17 PM

>> So if you think outside of the box (unlike 3vi1),

Lol... yeah, my thinking is so conformist and common.

I can already print to my HP printers from the internet, because my router runs CUPS.  It's not hard, nor is it of any major advantage.

You signed up to make this one post... You work for HP, right?

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS