Microsoft Likens Internet Explorer 6 To Spoiled Milk

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,565
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, May 16 2010 4:59 PM
Here's something you probably already knew: Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser has been around awhile, with varying editions carrying on through the years. IE 6, for whatever reason, was a version that saw huge adoption, and with so many non-upgraded Windows XP machines still in use, it's no surprise that a huge majority of Web surfing still goes on via Internet Explorer 6.

But IE6 is old. Way old. And even Microsoft knows it. The world, including Microsoft, has moved on, but legions of Web users have not. In an effort to get those laggards to "get with the times," Microsoft has launched a tongue-in-cheek campaign to get people to upgrade from IE6, and they aren't even being coy about it.

The company has created the image you see here to express just how sour an experience using IE6 can be in 2010, with this tagline stealing the show: "You wouldn't drink 9-year old milk, so why use a 9-year old browser?" It makes a lot of sense, even if the parallel is a stretch. Here's Microsoft's official line on the matter, but before you even read it, we hope you take the time either toss IE entirely and opt for Firefox or Safari, or if you must, simply upgrade to the (still not perfect) IE8. Happy Surfing, old chaps!
When Internet Explorer 6 was launched in 2001, it offered cutting–edge security – for the time. Since then, the Internet has evolved and the security features of Internet Explorer 6 have become outdated.

With the latest state–of–the–art security features, Internet Explorer 8 is designed to cope with today's modern cyber crime. In fact, research studies prove it.

In a study by NSS Labs, Internet Explorer 8 caught socially engineered malware 85% of the time compared to Firefox 3's 29%,
Safari 4's 29% and Chrome's 17%.

To keep yourself safe,
don't use an out–of–date browser.
  • | Post Points: 200
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

I didn't even realize that MIE6 offered security protection. And regarding IE8, I would like to see the research that proves it has state of the art security features. Because I've been biased towards IE ever since I was exposed to Mozilla and Chrome. I think we all have considered IE the "special" member of the three browser brothers.

But yeah those percentages are rather interesting because all you hear is how bad IE is at...everything.

I think it's clear to everyone that using out of date equipment and software is never a good thing. I know a friend who constantly complains about Vista but he hasn't updated the software in over a year...it was a /facepalm moment for me.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

News:
we hope you take the time either toss IE entirely and opt for Firefox or Safari,

Or Chrome. I am quicky coming to prefer that to FF now that it has extensions.

I feel the same way about this as I do about XP. I don't understand why people are still using such an old OS and actually getting mad about the fact that they can't buy it.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Sun, May 16 2010 11:35 PM

Make mine CHROME!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 675

I switched over from IE8 to Mozilla long ago, never looked back and probably won't look back unless they offer something better for their browsers.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Mon, May 17 2010 1:28 AM

Lol I have been using Firefox since 2003, I had been using opera before that, and Netscape before that. I am pretty sure I have been using alternate browsers (alternate to IE) since 1998 or before. Of course I have been on the internet since was Prodigy as an ISP as well, prior to the existence of AOL completely.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Mon, May 17 2010 1:30 AM

Do you guys remember when BBS and IRQ were main avenues to the WEB?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 141
Points 1,710

Ugh I just posted this on the thread where amd was having trouble posting on the forums.  I thought it was funny when I saw it on digg.  Now to get these businesses upgraded... I know my dad's workplace has a horrible IT person and they're still on Windows 2000 and XP - using IE5 and 6.  Ugh

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945
mhenriday replied on Mon, May 17 2010 7:26 AM

Users of Microsoft's IE6 might want to consider not merely getting a new milk carton, but also getting a new cow. There are a number of much faster, more standards-compliant browsers out there - to name a few, Chrome, Firefox, and Opera....

Henri

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,694
Points 104,405
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, May 17 2010 8:30 AM

Using Internet Explorer is like being slowly pecked to death by Chickens.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Points 945
JoelB replied on Mon, May 17 2010 3:42 PM

Chrome has totally won me over. The only thing it's missing for me is having a list of restricted sites. It made it easy to add in all the advertising sites so that they wouldn't load, without having to use a plugin.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

I quite like chrome, though I still think FF can do a few things better. But then again I am using chrome to type this. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

JoelB:

Chrome has totally won me over. The only thing it's missing for me is having a list of restricted sites. It made it easy to add in all the advertising sites so that they wouldn't load, without having to use a plugin.

Load the ads so the sites you visit can get paid.

I use Chrome on my netbook both in Linux and in Windows. But I still use Firefox on my desktop.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Tue, May 18 2010 8:28 PM

Haven't tried Chrome myself, mostly because Firefox does such a bang-up job for me I don't want to invest the time to see whether some other app is better. I can dig a browser in which I can actually read web pages, unless they take pains to deny low-vision users access. (Which some do. Thanks a heap, Adobe.)

But some people mentioned amazement that people still use XP. It's easy to understand the reason why the installed base is still large, despite companies moving to 7: I've been in Upgrade Hell myself.

See, you can't just upgrade one part of a computer system. Even on Macs there's some effect, and on Windows it's infamous. Your printer dies, so you get a new one-- which requires a new printer driver. That's unavailable for your old OS, so you upgrade to the new OS. Alas, your CPU/motherboard/memory either can't run it, or runs it so slowly it's laughable. So you have to upgrade that. But now your other peripherals can't connect, and some of the manufacturers aren't in business any more, and half of your software crashes with bizarre errors... so you wind up having a less useful system that's cost you lots of bucks.

Even technophiles are chary of Upgrade Hell; the average person sees it as some sort of magic so evil it would make Lord Valdemort plotz. And how many netbooks were sold which couldn't run anything later than XP because of display or memory issues?

Now, IE8 is a separate issue; it's theoretically compatible with XP. But it was released when Vista was the flagship OS for Microsoft, and (just like the OS itself) most likely uses more memory-- there has never been an update which used less memory than the previous version. The cheapo netbooks were granted XP because they were not up to running Vista; my untested idea, therefore, is that IE8 would burden such a system into unusability.

Kinda defines the phrase "a decision that bites you in the ass," doesn't it?

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Thu, May 20 2010 4:14 PM

"there has never been an update which used less memory than the previous version"

That is except Windows 7 of course which is much more efficient than Vista was. Oh and Windows Me to 2000/XP was also better and more efficient. Never is a really big word!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, May 20 2010 8:08 PM

Quoth the MS: "With the latest state–of–the–art security features, Internet Explorer 8 is designed to cope with today's modern cyber crime. In fact, research studies prove it."

Studies also show that you're an idiot if you believe IE is anywhere near as secure as FireFox or Opera: http://secunia.com/advisories/product/21625/?task=statistics_2010

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS