Sony Considers Building iPad Killer, Not Sure There's A Big Enough Market

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,877
Points 1,116,675
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, May 15 2010 1:26 AM
Sony posted their first real loss in over a decade last year, andthey're still losing money. Why? Because of decisions like this. Whilemany of the smaller, more nimble companies such as Acer, Asus and MSIare already making plans to follow Apple's lead and produce a tablet PCthis year, Sony is still mulling the decision. There's just no killerinstinct any more, and waiting around until the bandwagon has loaded upand left town isn't the way you make ends meet in the consumerelectronics industry.

The tablet PC market came and went years ago, but it's possible thatthose tablets were simply ahead of their time. Apple's iPad has sold amillion units in a month, clearly proving that tablets are "in." Butit's not so clear to Sony. Mike Abary, senior vice president of Sony’sInformation Technology Products unit, stated the following: "We havebeen taking a deep look at developing a tablet fora number of years, not just because of Apple but because itcreates some interesting opportunities. The iPad has created a newopportunity. Nowwe can get a good judgment as to whether the market is trulyaccepting of it. [We are] not convinced there is a largeenough market to justify bringing out a tablet."

Apple sells a million tablets in a month, and you're not convincedthere's a market for tablets? You were thinking about tablets beforeApple, but now--of all times--you're second guessing yourself? We don'tget it. Sony is a huge name with a huge following, and a Sony tabletwould almost certainly create as much buzz as the HP Slate, if notmore. We really hope Sony decides to push forward and create a tabletof their own; the market needs the competition, and if a name like Sonybuys in, there'd be no stopping the flood gates. Until then, it lookslike we'll have more Sony Reader refreshes to look forward to...whilethe Kindle continues to rule the e-reader roost.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sat, May 15 2010 3:15 PM

>> and they're still losing money. Why? Because of decisions like this.

Right on, Ray!

In their defense, they were probably too busy deciding which features they should remove from their gaming consoles, or which albums need Windows root kits.

As long as there's an alternative, I'm pretty much done with Sony - not because of quality of products, but because of business practices.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

At least they gave up on trying to make the tapedeck a comeback with the new PSP. I had childhood flashbacks to my walkman when I open up a PSP UMD slot.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
adamaant replied on Sun, May 16 2010 9:38 AM

Maybe the new soon to be announced PSP 2 will be touch screen. That could be their tablet.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Sun, May 16 2010 9:07 PM

Yet another brill decision from the company that had a chance to buy the device that became the iPod... but turned it down.

I'm just hoping that Sony execs follow the example of Foxconn employees in problem resolution. .)

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, May 17 2010 8:15 AM

Sony took a stellar reputation for ultimate quality and ruined it with their shady deeds.

Their current management should be thrashed by public caning at dawn. (daily)

I don't buy anything from them anymore.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS