Best Buy Attempts To Reduce PC Bloatware

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,182
Points 1,185,880
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, May 14 2010 11:40 AM

We're not quite sure what to think of Best Buy's new Software Installer. On one hand, this connected desktop application helps eliminate the unwanted bloatware that generally comes on new PCs, something we've mentioned time and again that we don't appreciate. On the other hand, the electronics retailer's Software Installer is another program that will come pre-installed on your PC or notebook (if you're buying it from Best Buy).

One of the somewhat useful features of the Software Installer is that it will manage electronic purchases. In other words, any purchase made through Software Installer will be saved in your account history. This will eliminate the need to save discs or remember key codes.

The Software Installer will come on all Asus, Gateway, Lenovo, Samsung, Sony and Toshiba desktops, laptops and netbooks sold by Best Buy. You can uninstall the application if you like. 

So will the Software Installer add to the amount of software on a PC or will it eliminate unnecessary software? You decide.

Best Buy® Debuts Shortcut to Software Selection for Windows® Vista & Windows® 7 Users

New Best Buy Software Installer connects software content and services for a simpler, personalized computing experience

MINNEAPOLIS--Best Buy (NYSE:BBY) puts the “personal” in personal computing with the launch of Software Installer, a connected desktop application to help consumers customize their new or upgrade their existing PCs and netbooks with the latest content, software and service solutions. Bringing together diverse offerings from leading software and service providers, Software Installer is now available via download at http://www.bestbuy.com/softwareinstaller, and is automatically included on selected PCs and netbooks sold at Best Buy stores and online.

Best Buy worked with leading PC manufacturers to reduce unwanted third-party trials and applications that typically come preloaded on new computers. In partnership with manufacturers and content providers, Best Buy is continuously updating the Software Installer offerings, allowing customers to choose the software and services they want from a library of creative, management, entertainment and information solutions for both individuals and small businesses. In addition to popular content, Software Installer manages electronic purchases; any purchase made through Software Installer is saved in the customer’s account history, eliminating the need to save discs or remember key codes.

“Software Installer is really a connectivity tool, developed for those of us who want to seamlessly transform our computers or netbooks into hard-working personal productivity machines or entertainment powerhouses,” said Jason Bonfig, vice president of computers at Best Buy. “It short-cuts the path to selecting reliable programs and services, and helps manage and record your transactions so you don’t have to.”

The Software Installer library includes an ever-expanding selection in categories that consumers say are of greatest interest to them. Many of the offers are available free, or with free trials, and include:

• Personal Money Management: Quickbooks Online, Wall Street Journal, Barron’s
  • Personal Security: LoJack, LifeLock, Siber
  • Personal Pictures & Videos: Smilebox; iMemories; MyPublisher; Nero; PhotoStamps; Roxio Creator 2010 and Photoshow
  • Home/Small Office: Phonetag, 123Print, Constant Contact, CloudProfile, My Fax
  • Movies, Music & Gaming: Cinema Now, Netflix, Gallapago, DreamDay Wedding, Turbo Subs, CrimeCraft, on Golf, Best Buy Games (core offering), Napster, Slacker, eMusic
  • Family: Kidzui
  • Tech Support: Geek Squad (selected offers and online support)

Consumers who purchase their computers and netbooks at Best Buy will find Software Installer pre-installed on all Asus, Gateway, Lenovo, Samsung, Sony and Toshiba desktops, laptops and netbooks. Those who have purchased their computing gear elsewhere can learn more about the tool and download it free at http://www.bestbuy.com/softwareinstaller. All users have the option of uninstalling Software Installer at any time, and there is no cost to using the tool for downloading and installing content or record-keeping. The only computer operating system requirement is Windows® Vista or Windows® 7.

Best Buy is one of America’s leading computing destinations, carrying 11 top computing brands (Acer, Apple, Asus, Compaq, Dell, Gateway, HP, Lenovo, Samsung, Sony and Toshiba). Best Buy Blueshirts are ready to help customers find the right computer and ensure they have everything they need to get up and running. Geek Squad is available to help set up that new gear, with Agents available in-store, in-home or online at geeksquad.com/remote support.

• | Post Points: 170
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
jm0069 replied on Fri, May 14 2010 3:39 PM

Sigh @ best buy.. fighting prepackaged software with prepackaged software? lol! :D

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 141
Points 1,710

So pretty much it's Steam for non-gaming use.  An interesting idea, but I don't see how manufacturers would like bloatware removed right away because they make money off of that unless Best Buy gives them more money lol.  I dont like that it can come pre-installed on new computers - I hope it's the manufacturers, not Best Buy or Geek Squad, touching the machine.  The list of free software doesn't appeal to me much (not that I expected it was going to be good), but I wonder what they offer for purchase.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
jm0069 replied on Fri, May 14 2010 3:58 PM

Sounds to me like just another software package that has to be removed upon purchase. My assumption would be the manufacturers would be the one installing, I'm sure they're not going to ship the machines to Best Buy for a software installation before hitting the shelves - which means Best Buy must be ponying up some decent money to get the current bloatware included in their package. Either way, the whole concept is goofy.. it seems to me that they're just replacing bloatware with more bloatware :)

And as for as geeksquad.. lol.. just lol. Motto is almost always "format and reinstall". Nevermind that chip creep had caused a sound card to become unseated.. format and reinstall, and when it obviously doesn't work, charge the customer for a new sound card. (One of my many personal experiences as a tech fixing problems that Best Buy couldn't, or should have, but didn't.)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,476
Points 47,080
ForumsAdministrator

Best Buy is going to install their own crapware and attempt to hoodwink us at the same time.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

I agree Dave.

BB is going to offer just the crap they want you to buy.Then you will have to end up paying for the Geek squad services in order to make everything work properly!

I am sure they are not going to offer the things everyone needs or demands like Internet Security suites, Office, Power DVD or anything that is really a necessity.

I mean...come on! Dream Day wedding? Best Buy Games? Napster! Can we say....Marketing/Gov spyware! Seriously how many times does one need Dream day wedding compared to something like Office! Aren't you supposed to get married only once! Or are things like that aimed at those forty somethings who live with fifty cats and still dream about their wedding day!

Why don't they just keep those fifty+ program trials and give us a choice of one good program.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Fri, May 14 2010 6:12 PM

You got it, Dave.

This has nothing to do with removing pre-installed bloatware and everything to do with inserting a new point-of-sale on your PC.

This is kind of the equivalent of a Linux package manager, except the apps aren't free.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Fri, May 14 2010 6:43 PM

Ya Greek Squad is the worst service to use when buying a new computer... I didn't want to make the backup disk and wait for it to finish considering it was not my comp and i didn't have all day so i told my cousins to get the Geek Squad service and i went back like 4-6 hours later... to pick it up and when we got it to his house... it could not detach the printer for some reason... after restoring it to factory defaults it worked so im not sure what they did. I could of spent that time playing games :P lol

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
Yeah Inspector,

can you imagine if that immovable software was ground in software for the web cams on all laptops and PCs! Then we will all be feeling like the Lower Marion School kids!!

Then the Greek Squads will have everyone bent over in their tighty whiteys screaming "Thank you sir may I have another!"
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I never really have had much respect for BB. A while back I watched someone upsell some older lady into a $3000 laptop because she really needed it to check her email and watch hulu on her laptop. I know some of you have worked at or do work at BB and I am sure you are not like that, but I think you would be the exception. Every time I here of someone going there they charge them something ridiculous for some 2 minute fix. If you want crapware gone then just download PC decrapifier on the PCs that come in. This is just more crapware.

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 355
until240 replied on Sat, May 15 2010 11:14 AM

ah well. such is the free market economy. as long as there is imperfect information (ie one member of a transaction knows more than another member), people will continue to be hoodwinked, ripped off, fooled, and otherwise relieved of their hard earned money. which is why i try to educate myself as much as possible before making any purchase over $50.

in my opinion, once a company goes public, all bets are off as the company is no longer responsible to its owner(s), but rather its investors, who do not care about being nice to an old lady, but want to see ever-increasing profit.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, May 15 2010 2:27 PM

Yeah... that kind of thing used to really irk me too, Bob. At one time, any BB employee that tried to upsell anyone around me found himself corrected with loud and incredulous remarks from my direction.

But, in my old age I've come to realize that most of the ones doing that sort of thing just honestly don't know any better - they just start recommending the system they would buy for themselves. I noticed that if I (nicely) explain the reality of how something works, most of them are really interested in learning more and have good follow-up questions (they'll even drag their coworkers over to hear the answers). I think most of them want to get into the tech field, they're just really green.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,650
Points 104,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, May 15 2010 3:07 PM

3vi1:
any BB employee that tried to upsell anyone around me found himself corrected with loud and incredulous remarks from my direction

I've been asked to leave a BB when I did that. But the 'Squid' didn't buy their PC either. I told them to get a Dell, and what to order to get what they needed.

Geek Squad is a total rip-off,.......with weird contracts that allow them to do whatever they want with your PC without talking to you about it first. Try a Google search for "Geek Squad problems" if you want to get a feel for the situation.

A friend's son worked at a Geek Squad for the summer one year. He had no prior experience at all, but they had him fixing PC's. He was told, "don't repair,......replace" when he got there. They had a shop PC with all of the MP3's from all of their customer's computers downloaded onto it. He said it had over 600GB of tunes on it. They would 'browse' and 'save' pictures from customer's PC's if they 'liked' them too. Their photo collection was stellar too.

Years ago, Best Buy had lower Prices and good customer service policies,.....it was a good place to go for a fair price,.....but It ain't that way anymore Skippy!!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, May 15 2010 3:37 PM

>> I've been asked to leave a BB when I did that.

Wow... You'll know when that happens to me, because the scene I make will be all over CNN that night. Hehe

I've not had any interactions with their Geek Squad (Everyone I know treats me like their personal Geek Squad, haha) - just the normal employees. Sounds like I may be lucky.

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 355
until240 replied on Sat, May 15 2010 9:36 PM

@realneil

that stuff about stealing customer's pictures and music really does happen. it happened when i worked at a cell phone store. guys would download naked pictures from the girls' phones onto the store computer.

and it happens everywhere it seems. there was this famous chinese/taiwanese actor guy who took his computer to a computer repair shop and the repair guys found and released a bunch of pictures of (famous) women he'd been with. it was a pretty big deal over there. i think the actor guy actually 'resigned' or something.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

I just bought a notebook computer at Best Buy, and they installed their crud on it without my permission, and made me wait for 3 hours to pick it up. When I asked about the delay, they told me that they were removing manufacturers adware and installing updates. When I finally had to go home to pick up my kids and drive back to town for the computer, they tried to charge me for the work that they did without my permission, including leaving an additional unnamed user set up on my computer, 3 network connections, having the wrong date on it, and adding their anti-virus and "best buy app". I have deleted the app, but when I set up a new user, it reappeared, so I know that it is not really all gone. Now, I will be spending time cleaning this little notebook up. I will never buy from them again. The decent price is not worth the work of removing their crud.

Not Ranked
Posts 54
Points 670
sKrappy replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 6:07 PM

if you get a chance check out ultimate electronics they are more knowledgeable and nicer than BB employees.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 65
Dont Know replied on Sat, Jan 1 2011 10:01 AM

So, can anyone tell me how I get all this crap off my new netbook?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Dont Know:

Add/ remove programs > Uninstall 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,650
Points 104,110
MembershipAdministrator

Dont Know:

www.ninite.com

Go there and download REVO Uninstaller. It will monitor your removal of programs and allow you to really delete all of the crap that those programs leave behind. It's free to use and it works good. Look at the other programs offered on Ninite.com and consider installing AVAST as your AV program. It's worked well for me for years.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,476
Points 47,080
ForumsAdministrator

Dont Know:

You can also use the PC Decrapifier (available HERE for FREE).

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
"So, can anyone tell me how I get all this crap off my new netbook?"
Return it back to Best Buy and tell them to shove it up thier GeekSquad, Then go buy the same model on Newegg :P
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX