Comcast Creates World's First "Social Remote" With Xfinity iPad App

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,171
Points 1,185,750
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, May 13 2010 5:21 PM
We said in our initial iPad review that the tablet was almost certainto grow in popularity over time, as more and more developers had moreand more time to create unique applications to take advantage of thenew screen size and 1GHz A4 processor. One obvious application for aslate such as this is a home entertainment controller, specifically, awild TV remote like this world has never seen. Logitech's Harmony lineof remotes has come a long way, but having a device with integratedWi-Fi and a direct link to the iTunes store opens up a lot morepossibilities.

Comcast is hoping to take advantage of the opportunity, with the cablecarrier showing off an Xfinity remote prototype at the NCTA Show.Basically, this custom app works with your Comcast cable box and allowsyou to "search for your favorite shows and movies on television andvideo ondemand, change the channel on your cable box right from your iPad, andset your DVR remotely." These functions have been available in some wayto most all smartphone owners for awhile, but as you'll notice in thevideo below, having a 9.7" IPS screen to work with makes everythingmore elegant.

It's also tightly integrated into social networks, making it (asComcast describes) a "social remote." In a way, it adds an interactivelayer that has long been missing from the traditional TV viewingexperience. It's also a good thing for Comcast, as online TV viewershave had similar features (chats, etc.) for awhile now. No specificlaunch date for the app was mentioned, but we're sure Comcast'ssoftware engineers are working to get it out as soon as possible, notto mention all of Comcast's rivals, now.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Thu, May 13 2010 6:50 PM

All this is tempting me to get one of these... Who knows what can become of this device in the future. Congratz to Comcast on being the first to make this :D

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,650
Points 104,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, May 14 2010 8:35 AM

Send me one to try out Comcast.

I'll get back to you in a year and tell you if I like it or not.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Fri, May 14 2010 11:53 AM

Saw this on CNBC

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Good thing the Pres wont know how to operate it :P

Hell just leave that to his propaganda Czar.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance