1 In 4 Households Have Cut The Cord & Switched To Cell Phones

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,337
Points 1,191,130
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, May 13 2010 10:52 AM

According to data reported by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, one in four households has traded in their landline telephone for a cell phone. As you may expect, this trend is increasing. In the beginning of 2006, just 11 percent of homes had only a cell and no landline.

This move away from traditional landline phones has had a far-reaching effect. Telephone companies are not the only ones affected, either. Polling firms and government agencies that gather data also face additional challenges as a result of the decrease in landlines. Additionally, 911 service providers have had to find additional options when it comes to locating people who are in need of help.

Today, just 15 percent of households have a traditional landline telephone and no cell phone. As you may guess, the majority – 6 in 10 households – have both a landline and a traditional cell phone. This figure has remained pretty consistent since the beginning of 2007.

Other interesting facts from the report:

• More than a third of people under age 35 have only cell phones. In contrast, only about 1 in 20 people age 65 and older rely solely on cell phones.
  • More than 4 in 10 renters had only cells. This is about triple the rate for homeowners.
  • Adults living in the Northeast were less likely to have only a cell phone and no landline. In this group, 15 percent of adults relied solely on a cell compared to other parts of the country which ranged from 22 to 26 percent.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

The percentage of people who only own landline phones are most likely elderly people. I know a few people who refuse to 'get with the times' because they believe it's a government conspiracy. No joke.

Anyway, I know that when I own my own place that the only phone in the house will be my cell phone. And for good reason, I don't want to have to pay 2 cell phones bills, unless of course my internet comes with landline service then I'm fine with that. Not to mention I like to not be woken up or disturbed by telemarketers.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Points 945
JoelB replied on Thu, May 13 2010 6:07 PM

Land lines do seem to have the advantage that they keep working during power outages and general emergencies. Other than that (and cost), I can see why mobile lines are becoming much more popular.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,485
Points 47,155
ForumsAdministrator

Never assume that you need a landline phone to have DSL! Many landline phone service providers offer 'naked' or 'stand-alone' DSL. I also use a MagicJack, and it saves me at least $60 a month vs. my previous AT&T landline service.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I have not had a landline phone since I lived with my parents.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,683
Points 104,320
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, May 14 2010 9:38 AM

My phone company will not provide me DSL without a land line too. I complained to no effect. Otherwise, I would drop them in a flash.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Fri, May 14 2010 10:08 AM

I have not had a Landline phone in over 5 years. I of course for about a year and a half had Vonage, then I dropped them to as I never used that line either. So we have 2 cell phones now and it has been that way for 3.5 years. I see no point in a land line, and I like my internet through Cable anyway, it is much more efficient or has been so in my case in 2 states as well as in Atlanta/Atlanta North/ South Ga./ and Florida.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,485
Points 47,155
ForumsAdministrator

realneil:

My phone company will not provide me DSL without a land line too. I complained to no effect. Otherwise, I would drop them in a flash.

You could cut your landline phone to the barest most minimum lifeline service they offer (AT&T charges about $8 for this). By doing that you get rid of all the calling plans and other services that can easily add-up to $60 or more a month. Heck, AT$T charges $9.99 for Caller ID alone! Next, get yourself that MagicJack I suggested earlier and use it to make and receive all of your calls. I've done this for over a year now and the savings are substantial!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Techie replied on Sun, May 16 2010 9:11 PM

People have laughed at my using my cell phone only with a headset for the last decade. Sporadic evidence had existed until now of the dangers of using a cell without a headset. Now there is enough proof, especially for those who use their cells more than a couple of hours a day. See this article on cell phone radiation. I expect to see this on House next year.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS