AMD Athlon II X4 640: 4-Cores On The Cheap

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,867
Points 1,116,100
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, May 11 2010 12:04 AM

We are officially declaring May 11, 2010 "Athlon II" day. Why you ask? Because AMD is launching a total of six new Athlon II processors today, including a new flagship model, targeted squarely at budget conscious consumers. We should point out, however, that all six of the processors launching today feature existing core microarchitectures. While they do differ from previous offerings in terms of frequency, and of course their model names, all of the new Athlon II processors arriving today are based on the same Propus (X4), Regor (X2), and Rana (X3) cores that were introduced a few months back.

We got our hands on the new flagship Athlon II X4, the 3.0GHz Athlon II X4 640, and have its performance results posted on the pages ahead...

AMD Athlon II X4 640: 4-Cores On The Cheap

• | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

The link to your review is broken.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Yea, the link in the comments stub is broken even though the article is up.  Try this sylv3rblade

http://hothardware.com/Articles/AMD-Athlon-II-X4-640-4Cores-On-The-Cheap/

*EDIT*
The Futuremark numbers don't seem to jive with the rest of the test.  The 640 looks like a moster compared to the 635 in Futuremark but is not much better in all the other test.  Since this is just a clock increase without any tweaking of the core something seems off.  Any ideas?

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,150
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, May 11 2010 8:55 AM

This is what AMD always does. Good bang for the buck. Nowadays, even inexpensive PC's can, and do, have cutting edge features combined with acceptable performance. While it's true that they're not breaking any speed records, they're robust enough to game with using a proper Video card.

Even though I personally am not in the market for one, I'm glad to see them here, and at their modest price points as well. AMD helps to keep Intel's prices in check.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Points 1,365
Schmich replied on Tue, May 11 2010 10:52 AM

In test system there are two 635's where one should be a 640.

Shame you guys didn't have any of the "Athlon II XXXe" to test out, nice review nonetheless.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Tue, May 11 2010 11:05 PM

It is a real shame HH doesnt do CPU-Z screenshots, then things could be easily explained. Take a good look at the part number. For the Phenom chips, the last two letters, GI meant revision C2, and GM meant revision C3. This new 640 is a new revision. So not only did the 640 get a speed increase in mhz, it got a core revision as well. Maybe these chips are actually disabled "deneb" chips, but Propus has its own die. Any process improvement will eventually trickle down to the mainstream and budget line ups eventually. This is why on the tests that there are more substantial differences in scores with seemingly no explanation why when a 100mhz bump in speed would not be thought of as doing to much to the scores.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,341
Points 48,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, May 12 2010 10:41 AM

@sylv3rblade - Thanks for the head's up, link was fixed as soon as we saw your post.

@InfinityzeN - I think you were right, and were was an issue with some Vantage scores. I was experimenting with AoD before benchmarking, and although I had reset back to defaults, I have a suspicion the CPU wasn't stock for the Vantage tests. Re-ran the tests and have updated.

@Drago - Added CPU-Z shots to page 1. Would normally do this for a full-blown article, but had a VERY limited time with this CPU and focused solely on performance.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
I am still ticked off at AMD for their crappy marketing!

I guess from their standpoint it is good to make people buy the top of the line then come out with similar products a few weeks later at half the price! Without any heads up of what is on the horizon! Or even the next week!

I am trying to let them know about it. They have all these pages for Consumer relations, yet you cant email anyone that might matter :P

With the $700 I would have saved from getting the 7800 instead of the 8800, I could have upgraded my entire rig for better rendering performance. Since the only difference would be the 160 core processors, that I don't need since I am not in the science Field! :P
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,150
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, May 14 2010 9:39 PM

How does your system work with the card you did buy? Can you work properly now?

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Happens sometimes. Granted I won them from here, but still pops your bubble a bit. A week after I got my 2 4870s they came out with the 4890s. Faster and cooler running.

I am really loving these AMD CPUs right now though. A lot of the people in my TF2 community have come to me in the last few months wanting to build new PCs on tight budgets. I was able to get someone a x3 system for under $500 and found a really nice combo on newegg with a Athlon X2 full system for $370. Even though it was integrated graphics. Still miles better than the Pentium 4 system he was using.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS