Asus CrossHair IV Extreme Sneak Peek

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,875
Points 1,116,335
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, May 8 2010 1:30 PM

We just got our hands on some interesting photos of an upcoming motherboard from Asus we thought we'd share, the CrossHair IV Extreme. If you're familiar with Asus' CrossHair series of boards, then you'll know that the CrossHair IV Extreme is designed for AMD processors. And the "Extreme" moniker hints at the over-the-top nature of many of the motherboard's features, which cater to hardcore overclocking enthusiasts. In addition to the overclocking-centric features, however, the CrossHair IV Extreme has a number of other goodies in store--check it out:

Click Images For Enlarged View

Click Images For Enlarged View

We don't have a full list of specifications for this board just yet, but we do know it is based on the brand new AMD 890FX chipset and supports all Socket AM3 compatible Phenom and Athlon processors, including the recently released 6-core Phenom II X6 series. If you take a look at the photos above, you'll see the CrossHair IV Extreme sports integrated Power and Reset switches, adjacent to Core Unlocker and OC Turbo Key buttons. As their names suggest, these two buttons can be used to unlock cores on certain processors and automatically overclock the CPU.

The CrossHair IV Extreme also supports the new Bluetooth RoG Connect feature, which gives users the ability to wirelessly tweak many system parameters from a secondary system, like a netbook. And interestingly enough, Lucid's Hydra chip, which allows for mixing-and-matching of graphics card from different brands, makes an appearance as well. More information on the Lucid Hydra can be found here.

At this point, it's looking like the Asus CrossHair IV Extreme will be one of the most feature-laden, enthusiast class motherboards for the AMD platform when it is eventually released. We're not certain as to when exactly that will be, but we'll fill you in as soon as we know more, so stay tuned.

• | Post Points: 140
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

That is one sexy looking MB. Whats with the naked chipsets though? 5 pci express slots? Asus seems to really be at the top of their game.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 74
Points 815

Well, if you look you will also see that the north bridge also does not have a heatsink on the chip either. So, im guessing that the two chips are actually the chipset and the cover chip is the relay for using nvidia and ATI cards together on the board, but, just a guess.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,420

News:
AM3 compatible Phenom and Athlon processors, including the recently released 6-core Phenom II X6 series. If you take a look at the photos above, you'll see the CrossHair IV Extreme sports integrated Power and Reset switches, adjacent to Core Unlocker and OC Turbo Key buttons. As their names suggest, these two buttons can be used to unlock cores on certain processors and automatically overclock the CPU.

The CrossHair IV Extreme also supports the new Bluetooth RoG Connect feature, which gives users the ability to wirelessly tweak many system parameters from a secondary system, like a netbook. And interestingly enough, Lucid's Hydra chip, which allows for mixing-and-matching of graphics card from different brands, makes an appearance as well. More information on the Lucid Hydra can be found here.

This thing has some very interesting functions added to it like to see this in action see how it works especially the ability to wirelessly tweak the system and for sure the mixing and matching of differant brands of graphics cards cant wait. Like you said also whats up with those naked chips. Guess well find out soon!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310

Asus makes the best looking MB! Also about the naked chips, maybe their not finished?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180

I agree with the comments as well this is a bad boy!!!!!! No doubt. Hopefully it will allow for some good overclocks on AMD's new 6 core processors. Can't wait for a full review.

BTW look at all those no doubt high quality capacitors surrounding the CPU area!!!!!!!!! Big Smile Looks like 24 Phase

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,341
Points 48,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Sat, May 8 2010 10:45 PM

The reason the chipset is exposed is because the cooling solution isn't quite complete yet.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Marco C:

The reason the chipset is exposed is because the cooling solution isn't quite complete yet.

Plus it shows of that hydra chip.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,420

Well  so far it looks like its going to be another incrediable addition to Asus line up and Im looking forward to a reveiw!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,165
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, May 9 2010 10:09 AM

This may be one to get. Coupled with the 6-core CPU it promises lot's of performance and flexibility with the Hydra Chip on board. I prefer the ASUS solution to similar ones from MSI because I trust the ASUS name allot more.

I too want to see a review of this beast,......hopefully with more than one CPU as well.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

realneil:
I prefer the ASUS solution to similar ones from MSI because I trust the ASUS name allot more.

But they seem to be getting more costly by the day. Speaking of which any word on pricing of this board?

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 125
Tobi-Saru replied on Tue, May 11 2010 2:49 PM

I just hope it stays under the 300$ mark, otherwise I'll be forced to go with the Crosshair IV Formula :(

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Kishona replied on Wed, May 12 2010 4:56 PM

Is it just me or did nobody else notice that there are two versions of the Asus Crosshair IV Extreme circulating the net? Please check it out and if I'm wrong and there's something else going on, let me know. :)

http://www.techpowerup.com/116538/ASUS_ROG_Crosshair_IV_Formula_and_Extreme_Motherboards_Pictured.html

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS