Apple Gets Upset With Ellen's iPhone Spoof Commercial

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,918
Points 1,117,845
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, May 6 2010 1:53 PM
The Mac vs. PC debate has been raging for as long as the two haveexisted in the same market, but if there's one thing you can say forcertain about Apple, it's that the company hates to see their imagetarnished. It's why the company is going after Gawker Media so hard forthe lost next generation iPhone, and it's why they carefully plan theirmarketing schemes in a way that no other company does.

So when Ellen, a famed comedian and talk show host in the U.S., decidedto create her own iPhone 3GS spoof commercial and show it on nationaltelevision, it didn't take long for Apple's team to contact Ellen'steam. Shortly after the spot aired, Apple contacted Ellen's show with agripe: her spoof made it seem as if the iPhone were difficult to use,which is exactly what Apple doesn't want anyone to think.

To be fair, the iPhone actually is easier to use than Ellen'scommercial made it seem, but it was quite obvious she was kidding. Notso obvious to Apple, though. Check out the video below to draw your ownconclusions.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,071
Points 37,990
acarzt replied on Thu, May 6 2010 4:57 PM

Looks like they struck some fear in to ellen's heart lol I wonder how many lawyers they sent to get that effect? lol

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Thu, May 6 2010 5:39 PM

They probably told the network they were going to pull all their advertising $, and the network told Ellen they would pull her show if that happened.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780

LOL @ Apple.

This just makes them look like they are quite uptight...

Anyways, it wasn't even very funny what Ellen did though. I mean she tried to be funny, but she/they could have made it much better.

Imagine if her joke was more about flash...that would have been funnier.

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

Mobility Radeon 5870 1GBVRAM

8GB Ram

1 X OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
WixosTrix replied on Fri, May 7 2010 12:25 AM

I doubt they threatened to pull Ellen's show. I'm sure her show pulls in more money than Apple gives them seeing as there are other commercials airing during her show. The most that would have probably happened is that she would be responsible for any money they'd have to pay Apple had they sued.

This shows that Apple recongnizes that Ellen has a huge influence on people.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator

Apple gets their panties in a bunch over anything. They're as bad a the 'politically correct' police.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630

The thing is, Ellen had a point. Being of aged (and otherwise damaged) eyes myself, I also have trouble texting on my iPod-- or doing anything that requires the keyboard. Web browsing? Fuhgeddaboudit. Maube Opera Mobile will have some legs, but knowing developers, I doubt it.

As Ellen (one of my favorite comediennes-- she has the best comedic timing of anyone) pointed out, this is not exclusive to the iPhone; she might as well have been doing it about the Android or Palm phone OSes. They try to display lots of information on the screen at once and wind up shrinking it down so much that people like me need to carry magnifiers just to use them.

The difference is that the iDevices showed such great promise for low-vision users that it's a shame they haven't fulfilled it. I also expected it from Google, but wasn't too surprised when they went down the same tired UI path as everyone else. Windows? Hah! Apple has had a better track record, and I still hope for the two missing pieces of the iDevice puzzle (handwriting input and user-controlled typefaces), partly so that I won't have to carry both my iPod Touch and Newton MessagePad around.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 660
Oblio211 replied on Fri, May 7 2010 10:17 AM

Funny, Apple can make fun at PCs in their commercials but when some ridicules them they cry, threaten people, sue, etc.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS