Nokia's CEO May Give Last Speech As Head Of Company, Say Analysts

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,182
Points 1,185,985
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, May 1 2010 9:51 PM
Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo is probably the most oddly named CEO in the world,but it's okay, since he's the head of the planet's biggest phone makerin terms of global market share. But Nokia isn't the giant they oncewere, and holding the lion's share of the phone market is becomingmuch, much more difficult with new players like Apple and HTC reallystepping up their game. Nokia has yet to really come out with a"superphone" that can rival the iPhone, DROID and HTC Incredible (notto mention the Google Nexus One), and the company's true smartphoneshare has been slipping because of it.

Thankfully for Nokia, they're still selling loads of phones indeveloping markets--cheaper handsets with less functionality. But thatsong-and-dance may not cut it for much longer, and investors seem to begrowing frustrated while waiting for Nokia to finally take a seriousswing in the smartphone market. The N900 was a dude (Maemo doesn't evenexist any more as a standalone OS), the 5800 XpressMusic turned out tobe a featurephone, and the N8 is getting awful first reviews.

According to a new Reuters report, "Kallasvuo, who has spent more thanhalf of his life at the company, could give his last speech toshareholders if Nokia cannot roll out a serious challenger to Apple'siPhone for the key holiday-sales season at end of the year." That'sright, the Nokia chief may be saying his goodbyes soon unless a 180 isseen quickly. Also, Nokia's announcement that Symbian^3-based phoneswould be delayed from Q2 to Q3 sent shares downward further, as thenext generation iPhone is likely to launch well before then.

Many industry analysts are now predicting that the end is near for Kallasvuo,but there's no concrete proof just yet. We would understand himstepping down, but in the end, we just want some real smartphonecompetition from Nokia. For a name so big, it's crazy to think that noNokia phone really rivals the other top-tier smartphones on the market.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator

The phones that Nokia does make work well, and they have great battery life. Since I don't need all of the whistles and bells in my rural area, (they don't function here) Nokia is a smart choice for me. Because of the low cost, I can just buy one outright and install my SIM card into it. Then I have a new phone with no contract. Cell phone contracts are one of the worst deals anybody can sign on to.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS