HP Reportedly Kills "Slate" Tablet PC; Looking At WebOS Alternative?

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,873
Points 1,172,635
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, May 1 2010 9:36 PM
Whoa. Could it be true? Hewlett-Packard's claim to fame in the tabletPC world has been killed? It's a wild and far-fetched story, but gollyif it doesn't make a little bit of sense. HP's "Slate," which MicrosoftSteve Ballmer flew all the way to Las Vegas for in order to demonstrateat CES, could be dead and buried internally, according to a sourcetalking to TechCrunch this week.

Reportedly, HP has completely "killed off" the Windows 7 Slate, whichwas supposed to hit the market this summer--just a few months after theiPad. This news comes just weeks after a Slate promo video made therounds on the Web, but reportedly, HP isn't satisfied with the wayWindows 7 reacted as a Tablet OS, and they also didn't like the powerconsumption rate of Intel-based CPUs.

So, why would HP kill off a product they have spent so much time andmoney marketing? Only HP knows (if this rumor proves true), but therecent acquisition of Palm may have a little something to do with it.HP promised to "double down" on WebOS, and if Windows 7 wasn't a greatTablet OS (we tend to agree), WebOS might be. It's a mobile OS,designed for low-power devices, and designed for touch inputs. Soundslike a match made in heaven. Also, now that HP owns Palm, the only wayyou could buy a WebOS tablet would be to buy an HP tablet. Sort of howApple has arranged that the only iPhone OS tablet is the iPad.

We're not trying to get you too excited or anything, but a WebOS tabletwould really shake-up the tablet landscape. And it might just putPalm's mobile OS on the map in a big, big way.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sun, May 2 2010 12:34 PM

If they bring it to a tablet, I think WebOS will find itself in the same predicament that it had with phones. If anything's going to give OSX and Win7 a run for their money on tablets this year, it's probably going to be MeeGo.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
vkelman replied on Sun, May 2 2010 4:42 PM

@3vi1,

Don't you think that now WebOS team has the money and resources to succeed on both smartphone and tablet fronts? The bad luck it had with Palm Pre phones was due to bad marketing and hardware, not because of WebOS itself.
Microsoft doesn't seem to be on a tablet market at all at this moment, so I don't understand why you mentioned it.
I know nothing about MeeGo, but doesn't it require Intel processors? So far Intel showed that it cannot compete against ARM in terms of power consumption.

Vladimir Kelman
http://webofandroids.blogspot.com/

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sun, May 2 2010 7:27 PM

vkelman:
Don't you think that now WebOS team has the money and resources to succeed on both smartphone and tablet fronts? The bad luck it had with Palm Pre phones was due to bad marketing and hardware, not because of WebOS itself.
Microsoft doesn't seem to be on a tablet market at all at this moment, so I don't understand why you mentioned it.
I know nothing about MeeGo, but doesn't it require Intel processors? So far Intel showed that it cannot compete against ARM in terms of power consumption.

I don't think the hardware was bad but it just didn't get the push it needed in the smartphone heavy market.

And the WebOS team doesn't need the money to make versions of it for tablets but it does have the resources now that it has been bought by HP.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sun, May 2 2010 10:03 PM

>> Don't you think that now WebOS team has the money and resources to succeed on both smartphone and tablet fronts?

Microsoft has the most money to pour into this, Linux has more resources, and Apple's not doing bad in either area.

Unless they get hardware support from more than HP, I don't know why developers are going to put it anywhere other than at the bottom of their list.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

This sounds like just a shift in strategies. I am sure they have all the manufacturing lined up for the tablet. They are probably going to rebrand it with the WebOS and call it by a different name.

Probably because the marketing was signed with Microsoft with the slate name. Since it had a hard time with the Win7 platform, they had to get away from that somehow.

I am sure they will retool it and we will see a couple different tablet styles come out by summer. Hopefully they will take this extra time and really listen to what people have to say and what they want. If they do then they will definitely give Apple a run for their money.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

3vi1:
Unless they get hardware support from more than HP, I don't know why developers are going to put it anywhere other than at the bottom of their list.

This. It is all about the developers right now imo. WebOS is really lacking in that area.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS