Google: Free Turn-By-Turn Guidance Not Coming To iPhone

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,383
Points 1,192,320
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Apr 27 2010 3:23 AM
More depressing news from Google. Just after hearing that the Nexus Onewouldn't be coming to Verizon Wireless, Google is now informing theworld that they have no current intentions of ever putting freeturn-by-turn guidance on the iPhone. Earlier reports had made it seemas if Google was evaluating the option for Apple's iPhone OS, when infact they were simply talking about other platforms aside from iPhoneOS.

The news makes sense: one of the biggest competitive advantages toAndroid is the availability of Google Maps Navigation, and if Googlewere to pipe this to the iPhone, there's really be no reason to selectAndroid over the iPhone in terms of mapping software. A Googlespokesperson told PCWorld the following: "We did not say we would bringit to iPhone, we said to date we've had it on Android and that in thefuture it may come to other platforms but did not confirm this will becoming to iPhone at all."

So, it looks like it's back to the drawing board for iPhone users. Theonly way to get turn-by-turn on that phone is to pay for an app thatdoes it, and while options are numerous, most are rather expensive, andcertainly more than free. We would have higher hopes that thissituation may change in the future, but Google and Apple haven'texactly been getting along recently.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Tue, Apr 27 2010 10:42 AM

AwwWww a case where competition does not help the consumers. That free app would of been a great new feature!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705
gibbersome replied on Tue, Apr 27 2010 11:00 AM

I don't think this was a good move on Google's part. They're essentially tying their mobile phone software to their hardware, a strategy that has been immensely successful for Apple, but doesn't quite fit with Google's "consumer-first" approach.

P.S. I'm basing my statement on my opinion that Google is one of the more consumer-friendly mega-corporations.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Points 1,365
Schmich replied on Tue, Apr 27 2010 11:48 AM

"but doesn't quite fit with Google's "consumer-first" approach."

I'd say Google's main approach is "future first". In this case, they don't want to reward the users who chose the closed platform.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705
gibbersome replied on Tue, Apr 27 2010 11:54 AM

True, and also there's been a rivalry developing between the two companies. The new iPhone OS has changed the 'Google' button to 'Search'.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
GoRobotGo replied on Tue, Apr 27 2010 1:46 PM

But there *is* a free alternative. The Mapquest app for iPhone *does* provide spoken turn-by-turn directions, and it is free. It doesn't provide a street-level view like a dedicated GPS app would, but it is the approximate equivalent of Google Maps + turn-by-turn directions.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Fri, Apr 30 2010 12:34 AM

selinaheba2008:
And iphone ringtone converter is your best choice.

Actually our best choice is to delete your SPAM!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS