Numonyx Debuts Omneo Phase Change Memory: Wicked Fast, Wicked Small

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,190
Points 1,186,185
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Apr 23 2010 4:07 AM
Memory can be a complicated matter. We've got DIMMs, SODIMMs, DRAM,NAND, Flash, Error Correcting RAM, RDRAM, and the list goes on. Numonyxhas been a major memory player for awhile now, and just a few monthsafter being acquired by Micron, the company is now introducing a set ofproducts based on the new class of memory technology called phasechange memory (PCM).

These new devices deliver higher performance, endurance and simplicityfor wired and wireless communications, consumer electronics, PCs, andother embedded application. We're told that the new embedded memoryproducts blend many attributes associated with flash memory, as well asRAM and EEPROM, while delivering new capabilities in a single device.If you're wondering how this will help you, the new Omneo PCM promisesup to 300 times faster write speeds and ten times more write endurancethan today’s flash memory. Yeah, that'll help you notice a boost inperformance.

There's no specific mention of when this will become commerciallyavailable (though it's available to OEMs now), but brief descriptions of the new line are listed below.

Numonyx® Omneo™ P5Q PCM

Omneo P5Q PCM is a 90nm device delivering high-speed SPI-compatibility. The Omneo P5Q PCM combines serial NOR flash memory and EEPROM technology benefits into one by delivering byte alterability, faster programming times and greater endurance.

Byte alterability provides for easier data manipulation and software simplification by eliminating the need for erasing large blocks of data. The over-write or “no-erase” function enables engineers and designers to simplify software designs and accelerate system performance, improving the time it takes to program a device by up to 300 times. The new Omneo P5Q product is able to write up to ten times more data than flash memory by delivering one million write cycles.

Numonyx® Omneo™ P8P PCM

The Numonyx P8P PCM is the second release of the 90nm 128Mb parallel product by Numonyx. The first release was introduced in December 2008. The first version supported 100,000 write cycles. The new release has been improved to achieve one million write cycles.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Eh, let me know when the density goes from 128Mb to 32Gb.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 260

Exactlikely

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Apr 24 2010 1:12 AM

InfinityzeN:

Eh, let me know when the density goes from 128Mb to 32Gb.

When cars fly my friend, when cars fly.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sat, Apr 24 2010 10:57 AM

Um well when cars fly solo or what? :P lol, attach a car to a plane xD lol. J/K

But when it happens... :D

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,652
Points 104,120
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Apr 24 2010 3:43 PM

It'll be AutoMagical for sure!

If this stuff works faster with higher density's, then good. Bring it on!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

If this was 1986 then 128MB would be a very big deal!

Now we just know that since they CAN do it, they are just going to milk the sales, by giving us slow incremental increases over the next ten years. Which is only designed to impede progress and increase profit :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance