Microsoft Crushes It In Q3: $4.01 Billion In Net Income

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,726
Points 1,209,050
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Apr 22 2010 8:37 PM
When you're Microsoft, there's one thing you can do to pretty muchguarantee huge revenue streams: create a new desktop operating system.The company announced their third-quarter earnings today, and if you'rea Microsoft investor, you can't help but be happy. Microsoft announcedrecord third-quarter revenue of $14.50 billion for thequarter ended Mar. 31, 2010, a 6% increase from the same period of theprior year; net income was listed at $4.01 billion, which represents a35% increase from this period a year ago. Needless to say, Windows 7seems to be driving things rather significantly, and it's all in theright direction.

Peter Klein, chief financial officer at Microsoft, was obviouslypleased with the results: "Windows 7 continues to be a growth engine,but we also saw stronggrowth in other areas like Bing search, Xbox LIVE and our emergingcloud services. Our record third-quarter revenue along with continuedrigor on cost management resulted in exceptional EPS growth."

When looking specifically at Windows revenue, that was up 28% comparedto this quarter last year, with Windows 7 demand deemed "strong."Today, over 10% of all PCs in the world have made the transition toWin7, making it the "fastest-selling operating system in history."What's really interesting here is the lack of talk surrounding Bing,Zune and Xbox. We know Windows 7 is the main driver here, but notessurrounding those other sectors would've been great. In fact, shares ofthe company dipped after the results were announced, signaling thatinvestors were happy (but not happy enough) about the results.

It's tough to impress these days, it seems.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

Awesome. It seems that this huge profit is due mainly to Microsoft actually doing things right this year. Windows 7 has been a huge success, I can't wait to get me a copy for this computer soon. I know for a fact that it will definitely run better and utilize my RAM more.

I think what Microsoft is doing for Windows XP and Xbox Live is a good idea. It know that it will hurt a small population of people who still use XP when driver support and updates are no longer available, but technology does not wait. Every computer at my school runs off of Vista, and they are almost all more than four years old. Even year old netbooks run off of XP at my school.

I haven't had a good chance to really mess with Win7 until yesterday when my uncle had bought an eMachine to handle his Quickbooks. The OS runs beautifully. The glossy interface doesn't bog down your computer, everything is smooth, quick and crystal clear. I have to say that I'm jealous of his single core processor eMachine just because it has a better OS than I do. That will change sooner enough though, when I get my student ID and snag a copy for $30.

Xbox Live...it's about time. For three years now Microsoft has been crippled since they were still offering online support for original xbox games. Specifically because Halo 2 and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory still had a high population of people that played it. By allowing this support, Microsoft wasn't able to give customers like me better benefits. Like...a higher friends list for example. I'm not entirely sure how the coding worked, but it was in conflict with orignal xbox games and would not work. Now that those games and services are out of the picture, Microsoft can focus better on expanding their Xbox 360 platform services.

Project Natal needs to go into effect within a year. There are a lot of rumors flying around about how Natal will react with certain games. The most important question: is how will us gamers react to those games. Will playing Ghost Recon: Future Soldier with project Natal make us better or worse players? Personally if I'm going to mimic the mannerisms of a soldier then I at least have to have a gun analog in my hand to simulate something.

Bing won't really make a generous amount of profits though. People have been conditioned for the past then years to use Google, and only google. After your muscles and your mind are conditioned for something, the only thing that will degrade that conditioning is neglect of that ability. But for people with computers, that never happens. I mean, when someone asks a question most of our replies are, "google it".

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Of course they are doing good. It is the perfect platform for Adult content unlike Apple :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Thu, Apr 22 2010 11:47 PM

The way people are getting burned in the market it is very tough to please investors indeed. I think until things settle down the market will remain bumpy for the foreseeable future.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Fri, Apr 23 2010 3:22 AM

Hey Marius when you get your student copy make sure to get professional. I use 64 bit as well and have not had a single difficulty with anything, where that was not the truth with Vista. Plus with a student discount there should not be any difference in cost if I remember correctly

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

Yeah, if I remember from my peers you can get a copy of Win7 for like $30. Rapid, you think that I should get Win7 64bit Professional? Any particular reason? I only asked because I've only ever been exposed to Home Premium and then Ultimate.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Fri, Apr 23 2010 8:27 AM

Am I remembering wrong, or did Apple report profits were up something like 4 billion and they made $13.5B for the quarter a few days back, right? Considering where they were last year at the same time, does that mean that Apple will surpass Microsoft by the end of the year? [boggles]

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,765
Points 105,070
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Apr 23 2010 1:02 PM

You make a lot of money when you are THE BORG.

"prepare to be assimilated",........."resistance is futile"

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Seven of Nine...Is Mine ! Stick out tongue

I already built her Alcove, Now I just need to know how to reprogram herCool

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Fri, Apr 23 2010 6:58 PM

Just use the classic geek pickup line: "Hey, does this rag smell like chloroform to you?"

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

That sounds like something a Lower Merion School teacher would say!

I thought the classic Geek pickup line was "Gee do you know,.... you look like the princess of Alderan!"

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX