Psyko Announces Immediate Availability of Latency Free 5.1 Headphones

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,817
Points 1,166,165
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Apr 22 2010 12:07 PM
If you want to make a boisterous entrance at the next LAN party, then you owe it to yourself to look into the new Psyko 5.1 PC gaming headset. You won't have a say a word as you walk through the door, these funky looking headphones will do all the talking; after that, you're on your own.

Well, not entirely. The Psyko 5.1, which is now available in the USA and Canda, taps into the company's PsyckoWave Technology to give gamers an "unfair advantage." If we strip out the marketing babble, what this does is pump 5.1 channels of sound through 5 speakers located in the headband, with a subwoofer in each ear cup.

According to Psyko, this unique arrangement allows sound to flow to your ears more naturally when compared to traditional 5.1 headsets. Sound passes over the front and back of both ears, so there's no need for any simulated gimmicks, either.

"Psyko 5.1 completely rethinks conventional headphone design and puts PC gamers directly in the sweet spot of a 5.1 room," remarks James Hildebrandt, CEO of Psyko Audio Labs. "You get natural surround sound with no latency, no simulation, and no hassles. This technology will completely shift the current landscape of gaming audio and usher in a new era of fully immersive gaming where audio is now a deadly weapon."

Outside of the 5.1 design, other features include a custom control amplifier with indicator lights, and removable microphone, and optionally vented ear cups.

You'll find the Psyko 5.1 on Newegg and other online vendors for $300.
  • | Post Points: 170
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,818
Points 45,670
rapid1 replied on Thu, Apr 22 2010 12:55 PM

What are the best headphones you guys have used? I don't really care about the Microphone, I mean headphones period quality wise. If it has a microphone it is cool, but I am mainly concerned with sound quality.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
xyclear replied on Thu, Apr 22 2010 2:06 PM

best set i have ever used is the sennheiser pc350's http://www.sennheiserusa.com/private_headphones_gaming-headsets_pc-soundcard_502141

curious about these tho , leave feed back

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,772
Points 40,510
Inspector replied on Thu, Apr 22 2010 4:02 PM

The only set i have used so far is the fatality USB one from creative. It works fine and to me the quality if great but i don't really know how to tell this kind of thing.

This headset looks very nice(Design). But the price... Ya im not seeing this on my desk anytime soon or ever :(

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Thu, Apr 22 2010 5:45 PM

I have never heard of Psyko are they an upstart company? I hear logitech makes some good cans for gaming.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Thu, Apr 22 2010 6:33 PM

I also have a Fatal1ty headset (standard connectors though, not USB), and it works great. It's also the most comfortable headset I've had in a long long time. Best of all, the microphone isn't rigid - so if you drop it, it won't snap off like oh-so-many headsets have done to me.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

You would have to be Psycho to put these huge things on your head and not have them be wireless! The cord always bugs me when working on the Wacom, or even if it crosses your path on either side.

I picked up a pair of Acoustic Research AR AW722 a while back and They still serve me very well. I could not imagine going back to a pair of wired phones! I was planing to use these as an interim wireless set until the price of the Sennheiser's came down. That was over two years ago. and the only problem is the Pleather material has been rubbing off leaving only the cloth. They sound good and are loud enough for when you are working at night and want to be able to walk around the room. It is good to be able to get up and go to the bathroom without having to sort out the wire and put the player on pause. Now that these are still serving me well, I am going to wait until the price on the Blutooth Sennheiser's come down in price, since they are lighter and don't look like flight headgear.

This is my next choice for an all around wireless solution for music.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106439

If you want the same one that you can also use for gaming and IPhone calls?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106438

Both of which make more sense than a huge weight on your head at the same price. My AR's do start to get heavy after about five hours, but a little shift and you don't notice. The 5.1 would be nice, but they need to lighten the set and bring down the price, and make them wireless!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,093
Points 38,115
acarzt replied on Thu, Apr 22 2010 10:45 PM

those look cool.... reminds me of crysis

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 194
Points 1,430
Xylem replied on Fri, Apr 23 2010 12:54 AM

Ive been using AKG's K81DJ headphones. They seem to be really good.

Travel Rig |Acer Aspire One - ZG5 Mods so far |Toshiba MK4009GAL 40GB.4 - port USB HUB with BT, Touchscreen & GPS. 1GB RAM upgrade. | 

Main Rig |Core 2 Quad Q6600(3.2GHz), 2x2GB OCZ Reaper 800 MHz RAM, 19" AOC 913FW, 2 x 500GB WD HDD & 2 x 1TB WD Green, nVIDIA 8600GT 1GB

Suzuki Swift GTi | 2008 Version | Lots of mods in pipeline.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

These look like they were model after our brains. They also look too massive at the top, but the on the fly vented of non vented headphones are interesting. I'd give em a try but I probably wouldn't buy them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

I use a set of Sony MDR-NC500D headphones. Digital active noise canceling is the way to go and if you have never tried out a good set of active 'phones, you don't know what your missing.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
Lev_Astov replied on Fri, Apr 23 2010 11:22 AM

I'm with xyclear. I have both a set of PC 350 and PXC 350 (noise cancelling) and I must say, I love them both to death.

The PC 350 set is really great for gaming, and the mic sounds good to others, though I find it is highly directional, so it has to be in the right spot for them to hear me. It doesn't pick up any background noise, though.

The PXC 350 set is noise cancelling, which I use for work and travel. All 350 series have a very high impedance, which means normal sound cards can't quite produce the sound quality they were built for, but the PXC 350's noise cancelling unit (built right into the cups) also acts as a very decent amplifier. So, whenever I want to hear something in very high fidelity, I turn on noise cancelling, even if I don't care about ambient noise.

For true quality listening at a fairly reasonable price, I'd say go with the PXC 350, as it can be had for around $250. Best money I've ever spent, I think. Also, interchangeable and replaceable parts ftw.

The very best sounding headphones I've heard, though, were Sennheiser HD 650s, I think. A friend had them hooked up to a really expensive amp. It actually might have sounded better than real life. They cost him over $600 just for the headphones, though.

><((((">Lev Astov

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
Lev_Astov replied on Fri, Apr 23 2010 11:25 AM

These look really cool, actually. I'd buy them! I have been rather curious to try a proper 5.1 headset for some time, but have already spent so much on headphones I probably shouldn't just go experimenting. If any of you guys get these, please leave feedback on newegg or such.

><((((">Lev Astov

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

These are crazy looking. Kinda like the look though. I think $300 is a little rich for my blood. I currently use Plantronics 377. I'm a big fan of them. They sound very good, though I have tin ears so don't take my word on it. The mic is crisp and clear as well. Most of the folks that are in my TF2 clan including me swear by Plantronics and I have had nothing but good luck with them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,572
Points 103,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Apr 23 2010 1:07 PM

All those years working with jet aircraft and rocket testing caused a hearing loss for me. So I use a cheap-ass pair of Sony cans because I just can't tell the difference.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS