Sony Firmware Update Adds 3D Gaming Support To PlayStation 3

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,935
Points 1,118,545
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Apr 22 2010 4:31 AM
Sony already announced that 3D gaming would soon be coming to theirPlayStation 3 console, which isn't surprising considering how investedthe company already is in 3D HDTVs and "3D audio." The PS3 is easilyone of the most flexible and versatile game consoles ever, able to playgames, Blu-ray Discs, and soon, 3D content.

Apparently "soon" is sooner rather than later, with Sony announcingtoday that the console's latest firmware was being rolled out to users.Version 3.30 should be moving out to systems as we speak, with Sonycalling the update "mandatory." The company is boasting about a newTrophies update that makes it easier to sort them, but the real focalpoint, in our estimation, is this:

"In addition, this update preps the PS3 system for some upcoming newfeatures, including 3D stereoscopic gaming, which is coming soon toPS3, in time for the launch of Sony’s 3D BRAVIA TVs."

Now, Sony would not bother introducing a firmware update to add 3Dsupport if 3D games weren't at least within reach. We still aren'tperfectly sure when the first wave of 3D PS3 titles will be on storeshelves, but we're guessing that they'll time it to ship alongside someof the company's 3D televisions later this year. A holiday full of 3Dgaming? Looks more likely than ever now.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Thu, Apr 22 2010 7:27 AM

>> with Sony calling the update "mandatory."

Great, call it that! That will play out wonderfully when they land in court over the removal of the OtherOS feature.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

3vi1, that is standard Sony. They release an "optional" update or two that people don't want, then come out with a "mandatory" one after they realise people haven't updated.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Thu, Apr 22 2010 3:59 PM

They are using this update as a SOMEWHAT of a cover up for the removal of the otheros future update :P lol i totally agree with 3vi1 and infinityzen. Why is this mandatory? Im going to guess around 2-5%(Maybe a bit more) of the world has a 3D tv that can use this future so this update to 95% of the world is useless...

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

This makes a whole lot more sense, and more fun!

Breaking down a 3D environment inside of a console engine like the one in the PS3 will make gaming a whole lot more fun. Even if this update only generates a greater separation withing the mapping and textureing of the environment. It will ultimately make the rendered 2D image alot more fluid and vibrant, just like a true 3D image.

The PS3's computational power has really been put to a good test. Having a 3D environment is about to get a whole lot better, if you want to wear glasses or not. This will not be like taking 2D content and splitting images. Since the world of a game is inside the disc and constructed within the console, you will see something beyond even true 3D. That is of course if they do it right! It might take a while.

If the Japanese make something mandatory, then they are probably reasonably sure that it will work. Kinda like the Divine Wind!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 260

I dont know if the 3D aspect should be on a console. Shoot! why cant PC gaming have some differentiation for once. lol. i wonder if it will be widely adopted. Maybe so, especially since 120hz TV sets are increasingly popular these days.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

animatortom:

This makes a whole lot more sense, and more fun!

Breaking down a 3D environment inside of a console engine like the one in the PS3 will make gaming a whole lot more fun. Even if this update only generates a greater separation withing the mapping and textureing of the environment. It will ultimately make the rendered 2D image alot more fluid and vibrant, just like a true 3D image.

The PS3's computational power has really been put to a good test. Having a 3D environment is about to get a whole lot better, if you want to wear glasses or not. This will not be like taking 2D content and splitting images. Since the world of a game is inside the disc and constructed within the console, you will see something beyond even true 3D. That is of course if they do it right! It might take a while.

If the Japanese make something mandatory, then they are probably reasonably sure that it will work. Kinda like the Divine Wind!

Hmm. I was thinking more along the lines of WOW that feature will either be only used on a few games or make most games lag like crazy since you have to do twice the processing for a 3d image because you are rendering 2 frames. One for each eye.

brooklonsfinest:
Maybe so, especially since 120hz TV sets are increasingly popular these days.

I really don't think they are as wide spread as 3D pushers would like you to think they are. Hell HDTVs are still not in many homes.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
WOW would look pretty lame in 3d, unless they gave it a major overhaul. Which is is due for anyways! Playing it would probably make some of these kids feel like back in the day when we first played Wolfenstein 3D!

You can already do that with the Nvidia system.  Yet most of them run on the same concept that you are thinking about, Purely image separation. Inside the PS3 the 3D geometry of the game is able to be compiled within the depth of field separation to give us a true 3D environment. Most of the time when we see 3D it is only two images that are separated. I can tell you it makes quite a difference when you see the geometry generated within the screen that you are viewing compared to when you render something out separately then put it back together.
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance