Addonics Brings Any USB Accessory Online Via NAU Adapter

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,565
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Apr 17 2010 5:48 PM
How often have you wished that just about every PC peripheral you havecould be placed on a network in order to be accessed from anywhere?Even if you've never considered it until now, doesn't it sounds like aparticularly great idea? Addonics, a company known for pushing outunusual adapters that make lives all the better, has just issued adevice that does just that: the NAU.

Short for Network Attached USB Adapter, this device looks (and works) abit like the PogoPlug. But the main draw here is its ability to add"any USB device onto a network." Any being the key word. Once the USBdevice is on the network, any computer on the network canaccess the device as if it is a locally attached to the computer. TheNAU essentially enables the installation of any USB device over a longdistance via the existing network cable and allow any user on thenetwork to access the USB device.

The NAU supports webcams, USB speakers, fax, cell phones, USB cameras,USB storage, printers, scanners, card readers, optical drives, mp3players, and flash drive, enabling all of those to be seen across anetwork when plugged in. Using the NAU adapter, common USB devices canbe deployed in a wide variety of applications. For example, webcams canbe installed at different locations for security surveillance or remotemonitoring without running expensive cabling. USB speakers can be addedin various locations via the network without running speaker cable.

The NAU adapter comes with a high speed Gigabit network connection, andit supports data transfer rates up to 30MB/sec when accessing USBstorage devices over a LAN. The whole thing weighs just 2oz. and caneasily fit in your pocket. Pricing is set at $49.95, which isn't thatbad given just how versatile this thing really is.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Apr 17 2010 6:12 PM

It's a good price, but it's Windows-only. I think I'd prefer the Pogoplug solution because it's actually a computer unto itself and can be configured to do things like stream the video from a connected webcam directly to the Internet (or be a webserver itself) with no other computer needed.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sat, Apr 17 2010 6:31 PM

I like the price and idea of this thing. I don't really have a use for this. But it would be nice if your sgaring files from a flash drive or storage device. I don't see a point in connecting a mp3 expect if your lazy to unplug and replug in to another computer :D

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 1,890
sp12 replied on Sat, Apr 17 2010 7:37 PM

Ah but the real question is: Does it support hubs.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

No, Never really thought about it.

Yes it seems like a good idea.I wonder how long it will be before they turn this into an internal type device? Or maybe even a built in unit on the motherboard. I guess the real question is, isn't this something that is best solved by a software issue. Basically if you have all systems networked and have the remote on. Then it would be a OS issue to be able to control all devices from any of the network computers. Plus you would have to have remote running so you can use the proprietary software on each separate unit.

If this is just a Plug n play device then it is pretty neat. The only other question would be security when you leave your computer open for use at remote locations.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 1,890
sp12 replied on Sat, Apr 17 2010 10:19 PM

Computers already do this with Printers, scanners, and often hard drives.

The issue is that you must have a computer on, not in sleep mode, for other computers to access it. This is nice in that you don't have to have that.

On the other hand, each computer has to install drivers for anything that gets plugged in, and 30 MB/s isn't really enough for a USB-tv tuner. Still very cool technology.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,694
Points 104,405
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Apr 18 2010 12:11 PM

Yep, I think it's a good idea and will probably buy a few of them too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS