Shortcuts

IPad Unable To Download E-Books from Public Libraries

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 150
irshwsky Posted: Thu, Apr 15 2010 7:04 PM

The IPad unfortunately utilizes the same OS as the IPhone and is not compatible with the Overdrive Media Console software and Adobe Digital Editions software used by Public Libraries. This is unfortunate since IPad users are locked out of the ability to download free E-books provided by your Public Library.

Both Overdrive Media Console and Adobe Digital Editions work great on all other Apple computers, but there isn't any way to download to a computer and then transfer to the IPad. Both Sony and Barnes & Noble E-readers both have this ability, but of course you can download a book to IPad by purchasing said book through the Apple Store. Be aware of this if you are thinking of buying an IPad and using it as an E-Book reader. Seems like corporate greed is still king.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Apr 15 2010 11:43 PM

irshwsky:

The IPad unfortunately utilizes the same OS as the IPhone and is not compatible with the Overdrive Media Console software and Adobe Digital Editions software used by Public Libraries. This is unfortunate since IPad users are locked out of the ability to download free E-books provided by your Public Library.

Both Overdrive Media Console and Adobe Digital Editions work great on all other Apple computers, but there isn't any way to download to a computer and then transfer to the IPad. Both Sony and Barnes & Noble E-readers both have this ability, but of course you can download a book to IPad by purchasing said book through the Apple Store. Be aware of this if you are thinking of buying an IPad and using it as an E-Book reader. Seems like corporate greed is still king.

Nah, I think the issue can be migrated by them offering books in the iPad format or by them developing software for the iPad that allows people to download and read books that require that software, but it probably won't get approved in the app store. Still, it sucks that you have to buy a book from the iTunes store instead of uploading your own.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
I don't really think it is about corporate greed.

Authors have to make their money somehow. If all books and movies were free, then how would any of them ever get made!

Although, I would like to see all the corporations and middlemen get cut out of the loop. Then to just tell them to get out and actually do some real work :P

If they all had content protected web stores. It would be more feasible to go straight to the source and buy your movies from the movie makers and the music from the musicians, and the books directly from the author :)
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 150
irshwsky replied on Fri, Apr 16 2010 7:31 AM

I have no problem with authors making money as a matter of fact I think Capitalism is fabulous. I have the option to walk into a book store and purchase any book available. I also have the option to walk into a Public Library and borrow any book available. Why would Apple only leave me one option......when other E-Reader manufactures (Sony, Barnes & Noble, etc) provide both options?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
Sure this is capitalism...Mob style.

Yet, I understand their argument when it comes to property rights.

Just like the music Cd's that you can borrow from the library. When it comes to modern technology, it allows you to make a copy and keep it. If everyone went to the library and borrowed and copied books and Cd's and DVDs, then there would be no need for record stores, book stores, video rental stores, or DVD stores. Heck people could even stop going to the movies and just wait until it comes to the public library and then make copies for all their friends.

When you buy technology, being able to use that technology how ever you want is one thing. But when it comes to the property right of the creative content. It needs to be protected, or else they will stop making it. You buy the rights to use the E-reader, not the right to all the books ever written.

As someone who is in the creative content business, let me tell you. This is a really strange conundrum. Because on one side we don't want everyone copying our stuff and not making any money on it, yet on the other side we don't like the studio executives and hardware manufactures of things like the IPad to make any money of our stuff either. Nowadays studios will take something and copy it so they don't have to pay for it , then it gets sent over seas and copied to supplant a whole new market. And the creator is lucky if he makes any kind of profit.
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 150
irshwsky replied on Fri, Apr 16 2010 11:15 PM

Using your logic, wouldn't it make sense to just close all Public Libraries and make all content only available to paying customers. Concerning E-Books, once they are legally downloaded from the library they expire and become non readable after 7 to 10 days. My question remains......Why is Apple not allowing the download of the same material available in other electronic forms from the libraries? How is that different form downloading from the Apple Store and then illegally sharing or copying the material?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Apr 17 2010 8:52 PM

irshwsky:

Using your logic, wouldn't it make sense to just close all Public Libraries and make all content only available to paying customers. Concerning E-Books, once they are legally downloaded from the library they expire and become non readable after 7 to 10 days. My question remains......Why is Apple not allowing the download of the same material available in other electronic forms from the libraries? How is that different form downloading from the Apple Store and then illegally sharing or copying the material?

I don't know. But I think it's because Apple doesn't think of the iPad as just an e-reader and because Apple likes to keep a closed system. Again, I'm not 100% sure on the reasons.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 740

another reason why the iPad is useless

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 150
irshwsky replied on Sun, Apr 18 2010 10:43 AM

I wouldn't say it's useless. But since I love to read and enjoy the ability to download from the library, I can't justify a $499.00 expensive toy. I pretty much have decided on the Barnes & Noble Nook. Has all the features I require and at half the price $259.00.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Sun, Apr 18 2010 12:43 PM

The iPad is not mainly a e-reader device so you can't expect to have all those features. The only real use here is the occasional reading of a book and gaming(Not good gaming -.-) lol.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 150
irshwsky replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 9:35 AM

All the reviews indicate it is a terrific e-reader. My point remains why limit its use to only the Apple Book Store. Why not allow the option to download from public libraries.....I stick to my main point...Corporate Greed.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
rir replied on Sun, Dec 19 2010 10:57 PM

You can download library ebooks to ipad through the Bluefire Reader App

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS