Samsung's AMOLED Beam SPH-W9600: It's A Smartphone And Pico Projector In One

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,732
Points 1,209,230
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Apr 14 2010 1:28 PM
Cellphones and smartphones with projectors haven't really taken off in America, but they're generating a lot of attention overseas. And we all know what happens to trends in the U.S. a few months after something goes big in Asia. Samsung has been at the forefront of projector phone development, and today they are introducing the latest one in the line: the SPH-W9600.

Called the AMOLED Beam, this is the followup to the Haptic Beam, and it's initially being introduced to Korea. Aside from having a large 3.3" WVGA touch panel, there's also a 5MP camera, T-DMB TV support, and an improved DLP projector.

Further details about the phone are scant, but it's safe to say that something like this could definitely show up on U.S. shelves before too long. Pico projectors have managed to sell well here, so having that kind of product tucked within a smartphone seems like a no-brainer purchase for the traveling salesperson (or most anyone else, really).
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,688
Points 55,890
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 3:48 PM

That's just badass... and she's cute too. Samsung FTW! lol

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 865
M-ManLA replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 4:32 PM

I'm going to say like I said in the Maximum PC forums. Forget the phone, what is up with miss beautiful in the pic?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

How's the quality of the projected image? I find it amazing that we have come so far as to put this tech into handheld phones. I know that Verizon was advertising this tech in some commercials featuring Avatar but I don't think they ever really got some sales from it. I know that I haven't seen anyone running around and showing it off to anybody.

I imagine that the though behind it, was the problem of people crowding around a phone to try and watch a video, people get left out and only hear the audio. This was created so you can display the video on a wall or something so everyone can then see. This has the really drain the battery.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 1,890
sp12 replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 4:57 PM

I'm curious as to what applications a projector could possibly have in a phone.

Mobile movies? Presentations? I'm sure this would kill battery life, not to mention it would have limited lumen output.

Still, very cool feature that I'd like to have, even if it's a tad odd.

And she's obviously there to help sell the phone.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

I was reading down and saw the picture and the first thing that popped into my head was hey..Shes cute! Then of course the first comment is Dave with The exact same thought :P

OK, well my first thought was when I read the headline and said to myself, oh why does it have to be a Samsung. This is actually pretty cool. Something like this will really be a good contender to the IPhone.

My only question is...Is it really DLP? I didn't know that they got the chips down to that size yet, at least not in DLP. There are so many things that this would be useful for. You can watch movies on the plane by projecting on the back of the seat instead of looking at a tiny screen. Instead of forcing people with bad breath to huddle around to look at your kids pictures you can project them for all :)

It is interesting that Samsung is taking all the profits from selling bulk products, and developing new innovative products. To bad they are only doing it for themselves.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

All the pico projectors coming out for phones have been DLP animatortom.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Did not know that they all were :)

Well..Learn somthing new every day. Thank you Texas Instruments :)

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Thu, Apr 15 2010 3:03 PM

If it drains batteries quickly, then it would probably be for short-term use for now. So something long like presentations would be out of the question. Especially since those are important and you don't want your phone dying on you during the middle of it.

For now, it is probably just little things. Like it might be good for showing off a few photos or maybe playing a game on a bigger screen. Possible YouTube viewing for shot periods of time.

At least more people can watch on this tiny projector than on the 3.3" screen.

Trade show girl thread. Anyone want to start one? Yes??? JK JK

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS