German Tablet Maker Pokes Fun at iPad

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,210,145
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Apr 13 2010 3:18 PM
A German tablet maker is taking Apple to task over the creation of its iPad and promises to offer a bigger, better, and smarter solution. And just so there's no mistaking exactly who it is Neofonie GmbH has in its sights, they're calling their tablet the "WePad."

"Some people seem to think life is all about the I, and the Me, Me, Me," Neofonie writes. "We beg to differ. To us, the power of many beats the power of one. That’s why we came up with the WePad: It’s the smarter solution for enjoying the Internet your way. Why? Because when you’re locked in, you get the Internet their way. It’s the opposite of free. Being told what you can see, what you can buy, and all the things you can not do – somehow, that just seems so 1984.

"So we took a seriously stylish, state-of-the art media tablet and put a whole lot of fun in it. With the WePad, you can browse the Internet, watch YouTube, check your e-mail, chat with friends on Facebook, and much, much more. You can even get some work done, if you absolutely must. Most importantly, we created an open system, so that everyone can participate."

In a side-by-side comparison, the WePad appears to the trump the iPad almost across the board. The WePad will boast an 11.6-inch multitouch screen, a 1.66GHz Intel Atom N450 processor, 16/32GB, 1.3MP webcam, a pair of USB ports, memory card reader, Flash support, GPUs, and a few other features. It will also sport Google's Android platform, giving users access to an existing library of apps, though not as extensive (or as expensive) as you'd find in Apple's App Store.

Together We Will Be Free To Achieve More

Some people seem to think life is all about the I, and the Me, Me, Me.

We beg to differ. To us, the power of many beats the power of one. That’s why we came up with the WePad: It’s the smarter solution for enjoying the Internet your way. Why? Because when you’re locked in, you get the Internet their way. It’s the opposite of free. Being told what you can see, what you can buy, and all the things you can not do – somehow, that just seems so 1984.

So we took a seriously stylish, state-of-the art media tablet and put a whole lot of fun in it. With the WePad, you can browse the Internet, watch YouTube, check your e-mail, chat with friends on Facebook, and much, much more. You can even get some work done, if you absolutely must. Most importantly, we created an open system, so that everyone can participate.

We built a platform based on two established, well-known technologies, Android and Linux, meaning that software developers can dream up apps for anything you may want to do with your WePad (and even some things you might never have dreamed possible yourself). It’s quick and simple – and needless to say, any app that already exists for Android also runs on the WePad. Right out of the box.

Personally, we have a thing for news. We love them, we find them exciting, entertaining, important, and we happen to think that the browser was merely the beginning. News on the Web? No more than a trial run for what can really be done with presenting information in the digital age. The WePad allows you to finally read your favorite newspaper and magazine as it appears in print – but also enjoy all the excitement and interactivity of the online world.

See photos turn into videos, get personalized information, chat with your favorite writers, discuss topics with other readers. No need to remember a Web address, or even search for the headlines of the day – because the news come to you.

Automatically. Sort of like the daily paper used to land on your doorstep every morning. Except now you’re always up-to-date, every second of every day. And reading, hearing, viewing the news becomes an immersive, exciting experience that will tickle all of your senses. (Even touching is allowed. In fact, the WePad likes it.) 
With our “WeMagazine” ePublishing Open Platform, we give publishers all the tools they need to tell stories in a thousand new ways – and we truly believe that when it’s awe- inspiring enough, people will happily pay for news again.

All along the way, we will gladly help connect the dots, so that the power of We can make magic happen. But we will never, ever box you in. Or anybody else, for that matter. Not even those who have a big I and prefer to pursue their own Me. Promise.

Get in touch: wepad@neofonie.de

• | Post Points: 170
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

This actually looks really nice. I wish the website had an english version though.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Points 945
JoelB replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 4:17 PM

My only concern is the Atom eating the battery. I'd think it'd be a lot more power-hungry than the A4. That, and how well is Android really suited to applications of a larger nature? I know when there was first talk of it being used on nettops there were a few concerns about it running on larger screens and the like. I can't say I've been following things much lately, but is there still any sort of concern there?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 4:32 PM

I like the design just like the ipad one :D. Everyone is adding all the features to compete against apple and one thing that they all have is flash and usb ports :P lol. I would go for anyone of these pads that came out the past few weeks (The ideas at least) :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 1,890
sp12 replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 5:15 PM

Impressive, but I'm more curious as to when it'll hit the US.

Unless they can price it competitively I'm not sure how well it'd sell anyhow. The Ipad really needs competition, and I certainly hope this (among others) can bring it.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

The iPad will laugh, when the "We"pad only gets 5 hour battery life

William, theamazingipad.com

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

They should be calling it the ......VolksAuflage!

That would have been totally appropriate.

If it comes down to the battery, I am sure faster than it takes you to go to the store, others will find a way to integrate the Apple battery into this unit! Then Apple will wonder why everyone is buying replacement batteries :P

My only question is does this one have the motion Gimbal?

That seems to be the main visual selling point for so many people, like it doesn't matter what it does as long as the screen stays upright when you rotate it :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 10:44 PM

LOL WILLIAM! You think you can just come in as a apple fan boy and talk trash about other products then link to your site? :)

LOL animatortom, that would be so funny if they did. Apple is supplying other companies now :P

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 11:47 PM

"somehow, that just seems so 1984" I absolutely love it :)

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 11:59 PM

What makes these products great and even better as time goes along is the increasing amount of apps that gets developed for these devices. That is going to be one of the biggest obstacle for the WePad. Developers want to develop on a platform that is widely used, just compare the app store from Apple and the one from Google. People buy the product that has a bunch of apps. This cycle has to be broken somehow to make the WePad successful. But how can they? This is like the chicken and egg dilemma.  Apple is just too far ahead, not in the actual tech specs of the iPad, but in the app store. That is the x factor.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 740

its not poking fun at it..... its actually better than the iPad.....burnnn

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Dear lord, we need a report spam button or a post rating or something.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 2,240
Kyouya replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 12:32 PM

Why is it that everyone copies Apple's style in terms of design? First, the iphone...everyone started copying them. Now, the iPad. There are other colors than black you know.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 1,735

" 'somehow, that just seems so 1984' I absolutely love it :) "

Reminds me of how "far" Apple has gone since their own infamous 1984 commercial. Think about it: they were bashing IBM, and saying how they (Apple) will be personal and customizable and everything. Now, all Mac products look the same. The talking head on the screen is now oddly reminiscent of Wonderful Leader Steve Jobs. The androgynous people staring at the screen are now in Apple's own ads. And you can see a sort of sheep herd mentality in Apple users today. Hmm...

"There are other colors than black you know."

What are you talking about? Black is the new black! :P

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS