Gigabyte Driver Update Brings iPad Charging To Existing Motherboards

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,857
Points 1,171,445
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 12 2010 5:37 PM
Now isn't this something! Gigabyte has shown an ability to adapt andinnovate quickly, and this product is no different. Now, it has reachedout to address a nagging issue that is plaguing many iPad owners thatprimarily use PCs. If you haven't heard, Apple's new iPad requires a10W USB charging output; most PCs don't output that much power overUSB, and only select Macs do. This means that users are having to carryaround the iPad AC adapter everywhere they go, making the tablet alittle bit less portable in reality.

Gigabyte has seen fit to address the issue, announcing today that theirfull range of Intel chipset-based X58, P55, H55, H57 motherboards aswell as current and upcoming AMD 800 chipset series motherboards allallow charging of Apple's iPad, both when it's powered on and off. Thecompany's unique USB design allows it to deliver more than the 500mAdelivered from typical USB ports, and a simple On/Off Charge driverupdate can bring the functionality to existing boards.

So if you purchased one of these boards lately, and you've got an iPad,well, you're in luck! Look below for the drive download link.

Over 40 GIGABYTE Motherboard Models Supply Sufficient Power to Charge an iPad While It Is Being Used

TAIPEI, Taiwan – April 12, 2010 – GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Co., Ltd, a leading manufacturer of motherboards, graphics cards and other computing hardware solutions today proudly announced their full range of Intel chipset-based X58, P55, H55, H57 as well as current and upcoming AMD 800 chipset series motherboards all allow charging of Apple’s latest hot selling iPad while the device is in use (on) and also when not in use (off).

Recent industry and news reports indicate that USB ports on most Windows PCs are unable to provide enough power to charge the new iPad while the device is in operation due to differences between motherboard USB power output and the device’s charging specifications. However, GIGABYTE’s unique USB power design is able to deliver extra power for devices that require more than the 500mA delivered from a traditional USB port. With a simple On/Off Charge driver update which can be found on the GIGABYTE website, GIGABYTE motherboard users are able to take full advantage of USB charging of their iPad, giving them more options and convenience when recharging their new device.

To download the GIGABYTE On/Off Charge driver, please visit the GIGABYTE website at: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Utility_List.aspx.

About GIGABYTE Upgrade Your Life

GIGABYTE, headquartered in Taipei, Taiwan, is known as a global leading brand in the IT industry, with employees and business channels in almost every country. Founded in 1986, GIGABYTE started as a research and development team and has since taken the lead in the world's motherboard market. On top of motherboards and graphics accelerators, GIGABYTE further expanded its product portfolio to include notebook and desktop PCs, digital home entertainment appliances, networking servers, communications, mobile and handheld devices, servicing every facet of people's lives at home or business. Everyday GIGABYTE aims to “Upgrade Your Life” with the most innovative designs and impeccable quality and services. Visit www.gigabyte.com.tw for more information.
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

AHHA! Now we know that it is just an enlarged IPod Touch :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Points 945
JoelB replied on Mon, Apr 12 2010 6:25 PM

So... how long before we hear about gadgets that get > 500 mA over USB and get fried?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:18 PM

This is a neat feature for those not using Macs but using the I-Pad good job Gigabyte. It's the little things like this that distinguish a good company from a great company, this is what is known as thinking outside the box. See a need and fill it!!!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

Well now, I guess this will knock out any third party chargers for those who already own a Gigabyte mobo. I've been noticed that Gigabyte is really stepping it up these past couple of...however long they've been stepping it up, I can't really remember.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 3:28 AM

"This means that users are having to carry around the iPad AC adapter everywhere they go, making the tablet a little bit less portable in reality."

So if that is the problem, don't people still have to carry it around? I'd rather carry that little AC adapter than my desktop. This only makes real sense if Gigabyte was a major supplier of notebook motherboards to companies like Dell and HP. All people really get is just another option to charge at home and there iPad AC adapter is probably at home anyways. I guess it is nice for the select few who actually owns an iPad and has a desktop computer at work that uses a Gigabyte motherboard. But realistically, how many people is that?

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 2,240
Kyouya replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 12:15 PM

This is why third parties exist. They exist so consumers have the option to buy an alternative. It is not a surprise that Apple made only their MAC's USB ports compatible to the Ipad for charging. It was to lure consumers to purchase a MAC or a AC adapter which turned out to be a flawed and weak ploy.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565
Inspector replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 12:25 PM

Ryu, not much :P

Kyouya, if that was What they thought then they just have it all wrong. Having it like this makes me not want a ipad or a mac so they are now losing sales if so.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
software replied on Mon, May 24 2010 9:00 AM

Good stuff to share. Also, i have something great to share with you too: Driver Robot . Believe it or not, it's the best Driver updater i've elver used.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS